Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops

Chats

Icon8 Oops

Went wheeling in the snow Sunday. It got dark on me so I headed out in kind of a hurry, along with some others. I guess I tweaked my track bar mount a little. The steering wheel was cocked a little to the right, but steered OK. Then Tuesday on the way into town I got a short death wobble with a dive to the left side of the road. Here is what happened.

Needless to say, I loaded it up on the trailer and hauled it home and put it in the shop. Going to have to make something a little more beefy. It took out part of the original track bar mount and part of the spring bucket. Almost a FIBAR, but not quite. Going to work on it for a couple of days. This will give me an excuse to drive my son's Mighty Mite around
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Oops

ouch ,,, did ya notice when ya may have done ie log , rock or hit something else ...
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Chats

dang that could have been real bad you think that was already starting before sunday ?? or did you always get that wobble u got going down the hill ?the wobble couldnt have helped it it was pretty gnarly the second time we saw it either way glad u didnt get hurt steve let me know if you need a hand around the shop puttin it back together ill be around like always

Chats

Wow... that stinks... guess you did a bit more than just tweaked that mount... Look forward to seeing the beef you build to replace it..

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    This will give me an excuse to drive my son's Mighty Mite around
    Any excuse is better than no excuse. That could have end VERY badly good thing it didn't.

Chats

sorry for the double post above it wont let me edit and erase the second one ooooops

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by nismo5 View Post
    dang do you think the nasty wobble you had going down the hill earlier had anything to do with it ?? it looked pretty violent either way glad u got off the road safely and didnt get hurt but let me know if you need a hand puttin it back together i should be around like always
    I am not sure. I thought I had the wobble cured pretty much. The times you saw it was kind of a surprise for me. But I think it started the second time I went up. That is when the steering wheel was a little off. But I couldn't see anything wrong.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Wow... that stinks... guess you did a bit more than just tweaked that mount... Look forward to seeing the beef you build to replace it..
    Yup, the beef is going on. It won't happen again.

First thing to do was clear away all the old stuff. Hot the hot knife out and started cutting. There was a fair amount of old stuff there to get rid of. Part of the spring bucket is gone too now. Will have to do something about that.

Next, is to grind the areas somewhat smooth and prepare areas to be welded. The CAD is really in the way here, which is why I did it like I did the first time. But as you can see, I am going to get around it this time. I am pretty sure it is cast steel, not iron. But I am not going to take any chances.

Next thing is to make a template of what I will need. There is stuff to get around here, so I got out one of my standard shop tools.

These are Cutco scissors, guaranteed for life and very tough. Handles are supposed to be dishwasher safe, but won't stand up to red hot iron if you look closely. But if I want, they will replace them for me.

Here is my rough template.

Then I trace it out on the steel using soap stone or preferably a silver pencil, but I seem to be out of them.

Steel is cut, but no pics yet. More tomorrow.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

nice steve ,,,
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Chats

Got some more metal cut today and a bushing made to weld on the end of the track bar inbetween honey doos. If I get a chance, I will start welding tomorrow.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Got some plate welded on. I had to bridge that CAD because it is cast iron. I welded to it, but that weld is only as good as the ones beside it. I put two pieces in and will fill the edges in later.

Here is the bushing I am going to use for my track bar bushing. I am tired of wimpy bushings.

Had to get the adjuster out to fine tune it a little.

The bushing and track bar are ready to weld up. If I can get to it tomorrow I can drive it around while I finish it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Got some plate welded on. I had to bridge that CAD because it is cast iron. I welded to it, but that weld is only as good as the ones beside it. I put two pieces in and will fill the edges in later.

Here is the bushing I am going to use for my track bar bushing. I am tired of wimpy bushings.

Had to get the adjuster out to fine tune it a little.

The bushing and track bar are ready to weld up. If I can get to it tomorrow I can drive it around while I finish it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

dang thats alot o metal on there now lol hope this one holds up for ya lookin good

Chats

Hey man, Let me know how that bushing setup works out. I can get you one that is made of a much firmer polygraphite and a 2"x.250 DOM sleeve that looks much cleaner.

For a track bar application you want as firm of a joint as possible. The width wont really make as much difference as the material. That red poly is below 90D (they don't make anything over 90 in red). anything under 90 tends to be too squishy.

Let me know if I can help Id be willing to donate a better part for you so this will work better in the end. The track bar is by far the most important link and you don't want any discrepancy in its construction.

Here is a pic of how I solved the same problem.

Its just solid bar bent on a shop press, welded to the axle tubes and bolted into the factory bracket.

as long as your track bar is parallel with your drag link and your bushings are really firm you will have a great driving setup.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanandy View Post
    Hey man, Let me know how that bushing setup works out. I can get you one that is made of a much firmer polygraphite and a 2"x.250 DOM sleeve that looks much cleaner.

For a track bar application you want as firm of a joint as possible. The width wont really make as much difference as the material. That red poly is below 90D (they don't make anything over 90 in red). anything under 90 tends to be too squishy.

Let me know if I can help Id be willing to donate a better part for you so this will work better in the end. The track bar is by far the most important link and you don't want any discrepancy in its construction.

Here is a pic of how I solved the same problem.

Its just solid bar bent on a shop press, welded to the axle tubes and bolted into the factory bracket.

as long as your track bar is parallel with your drag link and your bushings are really firm you will have a great driving setup.
    That's really pretty but more of it needs to be red. I'm just saying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast