Thread: Help everyone find the best place for trans fancooler

Icon4 Help everyone find the best place for trans fancooler

All the below info is from what I have researched and is not from my personal experience so it is up to yourself what you make of this info I don`t want to misslead anyone

I have read so many different ways to mount them, in front of rad is bad cuz it blocks the air flow to the rad and causes cooling issues, another flaw is that the rad will transfer heat to the cooler. Anything that causes the cooling system to run even slightly below perfect for me is just asking for trouble and will rob the engine of it`s headgasket...

Mounting above the rear axle: I don`t like really deep mud so it should`nt be an issue I have heard of mud guards for them but I`m guessing if you like mud bogging or really deep mud this is not a great place unless you have a switch to turn the fan off untill you can clean it out, as far as rocks kicking up well you got me there to but I have never seen any rock chips in that area of my Rig and you could always put a mesh grill to cover it ...

Another one I read was to mount it to the hood but the heat from the engine bay rises and does not make this an ideal place in my mind, but then again I`m not a scientist so any help is greatly appreciated.

Anyone who has any ideas of different places to mount the trans fancooler please scribble it down, does not have to be full of great detail

Don`t be one of those assclowns who don`t pass on what they know it`s that attitude that killed this planet

Default Re: Help everyone find the best place for trans fancooler

Here is what I did.

These are thermostatically controlled with the tstat on the back side so the fan comes on if the return oil gets above 160° There is enough air coming out of them that the fans have not come on yet. I towed a 3/4 ton pickup last night and it was a pull. The trans got warm, but the cooler kept it from overheating and the fan still did not dome on. The fan by the way pushes cool air into the engine bay. You can see a lot heat come out the top on any day.
    Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 11-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff