Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn Air!

Chats

Default Re: Damn Air!

Quote Originally Posted by msmoorenburg View Post
    The reason why I ask that my old 318 Dakota had a fan clutch that wouldn't fully disengage ,and it caused the same symptoms on the highway. (it was preventing the ram air by creating a blockage)
    Well could be I guess, but both clutch's had the same running hot problem.

I could always try the old one and see what happens.

XJ4IV Guest

I know you probaly dont wanna hear this but when I have tried pretty much everything and I STILL have the problem I choke up 50 bucks and let the dealership tell me whats wrong... get it in writing and see if they will give you a money back garauntee basically ststing that if their diagnosis is wrong and you have fixed the issues they claim are the culprits and you STILL have the issue then you get your money back OR they keep diagnosing at no additional charge, basically tell them " I paid you to find out WHAT the problem IS not what it COULD be, I fixed what you said it was and still have the same problem. I expect you to DIAGNOSE the problem and give me a professional accurate diagnosis of the problem"... Allen Samuels over on 10 does 50 diag... thats where I go when Im out of options ALSO they offer a 10 oil change with no perks ... which is what other places do anyhow seriously when was the last time you asked for a lube oil and filter and they ACTUALLY greased all the fitting on your jeep THATS WHATS INCLUDED IN A LUBE OIL AND FILTER your supposed to LUBE the chassis remove and replace oil and get a new oil fiter

Chats

Need to get a running diagnostic...they hook up and you drive and then they DL the info and run it. This way they can see what the issue is and when. I have a feeling if you have access to a A/F meter...or build your own. You might find that the XJ is running lean..something is not reading something right. And the only thing that does any reading is the Computer...you sure you dont have a Cali comp? They were designed to run a little leaner.
    As to the A/F..I built one of these to run in my SHO.
    http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

If this dont work..I will join you with the banging of head on brick wall. lol
    I can't go where?? RRiiggghhhtt...

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by ice_cold View Post
    Need to get a running diagnostic...they hook up and you drive and then they DL the info and run it. This way they can see what the issue is and when. I have a feeling if you have access to a A/F meter...or build your own. You might find that the XJ is running lean..something is not reading something right. And the only thing that does any reading is the Computer...you sure you dont have a Cali comp? They were designed to run a little leaner.
    As to the A/F..I built one of these to run in my SHO.
    http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

If this dont work..I will join you with the banging of head on brick wall. lol
    It's been running a little rich, according to the OBD II data I collected on my laptop. I changed the front O2 sensor a few months ago, and I need to check it again to see if the running rich problem is still occurring. The gas mileage didn't change so I think it is the same as it was with the NEW non-OEM O2 sensor.

As far as collecting data, that's no problem. I'll collect it and put it on here!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post

What is the large piece of metal under the front bumper? A skid? Would this serve as an air dam as well?
    Yes it would. I have the same problem with my front skid. When I remove my hood, I have absolutely no problems with cooling. You might try that for a day or two just as an experiment.

It also protects the steering box
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I know its a long shot...have you access to a different comp? Maybe there is a glitch in yours that is not reading something right. Its the only thing I can think of that has anything to do with everything. And its the only thing you have not tried...next to moving to Alaska.
    I can't go where?? RRiiggghhhtt...

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by ice_cold View Post
    I know its a long shot...have you access to a different comp? Maybe there is a glitch in yours that is not reading something right. Its the only thing I can think of that has anything to do with everything. And its the only thing you have not tried...next to moving to Alaska.
    It runs hot in cold weather as well. I call it heat creep!

I changed the temp sensor and it read higher! Turns out that about 90% of the stuff I was fighting was due to the new sensor displaying more accurate information. When I finally put the old temp sensor back in I started seeing normal temps all the time, just not during the highway excursions. It was lower.

Chats

I am glad that right now mine is staying at constant temps even on the highway... especially since I drive the highway too and from work every day... I think I am going to install some sort of hood vents though to see if I can't help the temps just a little bit.. just an idea... as this would allow more air flow through your radiator... or so one would think, as the hot air would have more places to go once it went through the radiator...

Chats

you said it runs cool at slow speeds and heats up at high speeds you need to sine a way to get the air out of your engin compartment.it making a air dam
    behind your radater and slowing or stopping the air flow.the same thing happens to race cars that is why they put portholes in the wheelwells.so if you can open the wheelwells or get some air going underit to make a vaccum
    to help pull so air out that is what airdams do in the front.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by gary63 View Post
    you said it runs cool at slow speeds and heats up at high speeds you need to sine a way to get the air out of your engin compartment.it making a air dam
    behind your radater and slowing or stopping the air flow.the same thing happens to race cars that is why they put portholes in the wheelwells.so if you can open the wheelwells or get some air going underit to make a vaccum
    to help pull so air out that is what airdams do in the front.
    Would you think this would accomplish that?

Chats

that would if lift open but when you put the cover on it wuold at slow speed
    but at high speed it is desine to suck air in not blow air out. if you put vents
    in or if you can get more air moving faster under your jeep.also you have a large tran. cooler check it to see that the fins on it and your radaiter lines up.
    that willdo it I have see that people put a tran. cooler to help cool the trans..
    And end up slow the air flow and making there engin run hot. so it you can look strate though that would be good if you see fins or dark try moving it alittle.also check the opening around your engin and body if you can move some hoses large groups of wires. also some time putting something around
    the top and side of your radaiter to stop the air from going around and filling up the engin coprtment with non cooling air.

Chats

also if your bumper is strate up and down it will deflict air from going under
    something a skid plate on the underside of the bumper will help.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by gary63 View Post
    that would if lift open but when you put the cover on it wuold at slow speed
    but at high speed it is desine to suck air in not blow air out. if you put vents
    in or if you can get more air moving faster under your jeep.also you have a large tran. cooler check it to see that the fins on it and your radaiter lines up.
    that willdo it I have see that people put a tran. cooler to help cool the trans..
    And end up slow the air flow and making there engin run hot. so it you can look strate though that would be good if you see fins or dark try moving it alittle.also check the opening around your engin and body if you can move some hoses large groups of wires. also some time putting something around
    the top and side of your radaiter to stop the air from going around and filling up the engin coprtment with non cooling air.
    Yeah I moved the transmission cooler...

Chats

Icon3 Re: Damn Air!

Higher hieght of tires and lift will change the drag of the air flow probably causing the air dam... I`m no expert so correct me if i`m wrong.

If you want to get perfect about it you could get a white hood and of course the grill behind it and put heat vents in the hood.

I have a Dark Blue 96 cherokee and I`m thinking of this myself but I`m also going to do my roof like the new ford Flex.

Have you ever leaned on a black vehicle in the summer with short sleeves on

You could rollaround nude on the roof of a white vehicle parked in the middle of the desert on a hot summer day and have no worries
    Last edited by honesT; 10-30-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Chats

that plat under the jeep how far (long) is it.
    A nother way is to run some runners like you have for your fresh air vent toob
    you use for your intake and run it and point it at the rear of your engin and down. It will cool the back and your trans. at the sametime make a vaccum
    to help pull out hot air. You don't have to run the same size you can go smaller. Hope you figer this out you have a nice jeep. I'm figering you have
    already change or check water pump,thermastat, and you have good flow
    (you look inside the radeator fill opening ). A nother check is get a temp gaudg that goes were your cap so you can check the temp. at the radeator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast