Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Starts...

Thumbs down Hard Starts...

1995 Cherokee Sport, 4x4, 4.0L, AW4. White, No Sunroof, Tinted Windows, lets just say it has 225/75/15s on it. <- In case someone gets smart and tries to act like my local parts stores.

So a couple months back, after getting out of a trail, my jeep began to have some issues.

First up was a bad misfire that turned out to be a loose distributor, apparently found that one too late after it had done some damage.

My exhaust manifold apparently couldnt take the stress of all that heat of unburned fuel being burned in the manifold and clogged my cat.

Cut the cat out and replaced with a test pipe, changed the manifold and did a tune up.

Ever since the distributor problem, I have been dealing with a strange starting issue, sometimes starting hard, sometimes flooding, and sometimes firing right up.

I can turn the key on a couple times and it seems to fire right up after the third turn of the key. Sometimes, when i forgot and dont do it, and it starts hard but after turning over for a few minutes, it runs rough, rpms drop down to 3-400 and goes up and down. After this, I can turn the key off, turnaround and start it right back up, starts and runs like nothing happened.
    When it is running, its runs great, lots of power, slight misfire(not a hesitation or bucking though)

Finally, I am sick of it being unreliable and am going to see if I can troubleshoot my problem, with some input from XJTalk of course.

Like I said, I have done the tune up, waiting on a fuel pressure gauge to check my fuel pressures.

I just pulled some codes, 21 (02 Stays center) showed up TWICE when I pulled the codes. 51(02 Lean) also showed up, ok, obiously a bad oxygen sensor. The other one that had me concerned was 11 (No Crank Reference during Cranking)

So I have a bad crank sensor too? Strange, thats all three things I need for combustion, spark, fuel, and air.

Anybody have any insight?
    1995 XJ SPORT 4.0L / AW4 / NP231 / 4" Homebrew Lift w. Hacked Fenders / Disconnected / 48" Jack / Bedlined Floor & Exterior / 33" Eldorado MTZ / Stock Axles / Twin Rack Lights / Custom Bumper with 8500LB Winch / Stiffys and a load of steel that needs to find a place on my heep.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    |/ : \_|_|_/ : \ |iiii|
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.
    Cumberland Off Road Enthusiasts

Default Re: Hard Starts...

Have you checked the timing chain tension?

Sounds like it could be your CPS or maybe a dirty IAC.

CPS it could be, but you would think that would give me more problems than it is, it hasnt NOT started on me, Hasn't stalled on me, and runs good.

And no I haven't checked timing chain tension.
    1995 XJ SPORT 4.0L / AW4 / NP231 / 4" Homebrew Lift w. Hacked Fenders / Disconnected / 48" Jack / Bedlined Floor & Exterior / 33" Eldorado MTZ / Stock Axles / Twin Rack Lights / Custom Bumper with 8500LB Winch / Stiffys and a load of steel that needs to find a place on my heep.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

The CPS will do a lot of weird things before it finally quits completely. And if it is a dirty IAC you will hear a loud air sucking sound when its idleing

guess im changing iac tomorrow and maybe cps. lol

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

The IAC can be taken out and cleaned with carb cleaner.

ya, but for somethings i have spares. lol

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

but we will see if its raining whether or not i wanna go pull parts or not.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

Icon1 Re: Hard Starts...

If you are using a factory type ign. coil .. they are notorius for failing.. depending on where you bought it...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Stick with the codes to start, change the o2 (factory recomendation is every 27K) then the CPS . clear the codes and see what happens. What you are experianceing is not uncommon with the XJ , we see it quite often and a bad o2 can make an xj run like dookie !!!
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

XJ runs damn good though, but 02 is on the list, its the starting issue that i am having problems with.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

Hey i should mention i got my IGN COIL at NAPA. and i made a heat shield to slip in behind it keeping most of the heat from the engine block off. Not any trouble for a long time, You might try wiggling your NSS. switch around in NUetral to.
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Good idea with the heat shield, but ill probly go old school with the coil, redneck style.

Got a crank sensor to swap in from a late 93, waiting for o2 sensor from parts store. Jeep has been starting great the past couple days (warmer weather).

NSS has been rebuilt, the starter always cranks in p and n, reverse lights work, its just sometimes it has to crank too long.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.

Yea i know what you mean about long start's. I crank mine in park a few time's and go to nuetral and shake it around a little it alway's start's real nice for me. I used to have a problem with it reving really high at start up, but this cured it...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast