Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Chats

Default 89 Comanche Restore...

OK since no one has really posted up in here I will document my 1989 Jeep Comanche (MJ) restoration from start to finish with some subtle mods,...

So here is the rusty POS that I found on Kijiji.ca when it was posted in a local Jeep forum. I spent a whopping 50.00 to drag this cancerous demon home.

I bought this Jeep as I could justify the 50.00 as I could easily part it and recover the funds,.. now if it comes to life we can fix the rest.

So that being said this Jeep has been stolen, column smashed, been sitting for 3 years in the weeds, 60.00 later in towing the Dump Humper is home.

First things first will this bucket of bolts start and run? A battery went into the old girl,.. figured out the "hot wire" sequence and "click,...grunt" SFA happens,.. is the motor seized? Starter gone,.. I must dig deeper. Now what makes a starter engage but not allow the motor to turn over,..Seized? Well I liberally soak the cylinders with some bolt penetrating oil (why not??) and Eric my Diesel Fitter (deez-will-fit-her) asked me if I have checked the oil,.. seems simple so I did,..9 liters! So out it came and some fresh stuff went in. A fresh battery was installed , and low and behold it cranked over WHOOT! Halfway there,.. I cleaned the old plugs fixed some vacuum leaks and out came the slot blade screw driver key and a few moments later a haze of rusty black smoke reeking of stale fuel plumes from the tail pipe,. The dump humper has now moved a up status level. I changed out the injectors and installed a new column , now it starts no problem at all,.. now to face the next task,.. The Rot.

Chats

Default Re: 89 Comanche Resto,...

Here is the Rot ,... I think I need a tetanus shot,..

Chats

So I scored up a set 0f 98 XJ doors off a wreck for 100.00 which included the new column, New style rad and overflow bottle, coil springs, some locks, and a whack of other #it. So lets address the drivers door,..

So of course all but one of the Torx door bolts come off so I made an access door on the skin and convinced the door it needed to come off

hung the 97 door only to find out the door catch was in a different spot,.. so off came the pin to test fit

I dig it,.. one piece window, power windows and locks gigidy

So you will notice in the picture the door frame is cracked around the pin so that will have to be addressed,..

Welded ground and the new style catch is test fitted,..

Door adjusted and GM key lock installed to keep it true to form and becuse I didn't have the key for the new doors

Now onto the passenger door,..

Chats

Looking good... might end up picking up a Jeep truck of my own to build up slowly... but if that doesn't work out will keep an eye out for a MJ that I can convert over to a 98+ MJ over time of course... Can't wait to see as yours progresses...

Chats

Just need to grab some sheet metal and then I should be cooking,..

This is along the lines of what the finished product will look like,.. just a bit more modern with possible a pre-runner twist.

Chats

Great information, thanks! I see a lot of possibilities for the MJ now!

Chats

Lots of work there, but so far, so good
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

wow that thing is rotted like crazy... did it come from utah? lol...
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysxj View Post
    wow that thing is rotted like crazy... did it come from utah? lol...
    Nope its a Alberta truck but the rot is caused by "lot Rot" when they sit in a wet dark area especially over grass,.. and un repaired collision damage,.. its ok though thats why I got it so cheap

Chats

that is how the older vehicles look in Utah, they like to salt the fauk out of the roads in the winter.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysxj View Post
    that is how the older vehicles look in Utah, they like to salt the fauk out of the roads in the winter.
    I am from Ontario originally and if this truck had of been there I would of been sweeping it up not fixing it,.. This truck was just straight abuse and neglect,.. poor little short box,...

Chats

You might consider a bob and a flat bed , fiberglass the cab and you golden. The floorboards on that thing would scare me the most !!! Nice work keep us posted
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Payless 4x View Post
    You might consider a bob and a flat bed , fiberglass the cab and you golden. The floorboards on that thing would scare me the most !!! Nice work keep us posted
    Oh yee of little faith, fiberglass,.. No thanks! Only fillers used will be at weld joints, floors? Meh minor my 93 has a new belly front to back,.. Rockers and floors are both available in reproduction parts,..

Once the montero is out I will crack out the 3 in 1 metal machine (rollers, shear and break), plasma , mig, sawzall,.. And some body hammers to make this troubled little MJ shine once again!

last body job is here http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4898
    Last edited by JENSSEN; 10-18-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Chats

Yeah the J10 I am looking at has quite a bit of cancer in and on the bed... so was thinking of ditching the bed, bobbing the frame, and learning some tube work on the rearend... I think anything can be revived with enough time/work & money... and if I had the knowledge and equipment to do it, I would def. take on quite a few projects just for the experience and then sell them after I get them into good shape again..

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    if I had the knowledge and equipment to do it, I would def. take on quite a few projects just for the experience and then sell them after I get them into good shape again..
    My plan is to show the project through webcam and link it through the xjtalk site, Mudderoy gave me a link for live webcam and the plan is to show how to make repair parts, panels, floors ect with simple tools and the more advanced equipment. How to attach panes with welding and if allows even some advanced epoxies,.. I want people to feel confident doing their own work and not to have to spends thousands to do it

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast