Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Chats

Default Re: Cheap Modifications and lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I just thought I would do my own thread on Cheap Mods. I have been looking hard seeing as this is what I'm doing to the Red XJ(seeing as we have less money now). I figured if enough people post the XJ compatible junkyard parts they know about it would be a great post to look back on in the future.

WJ front LCA's
    -same length as stock XJ LCA's but have a bend for clearance of wider tires
    -slightly thicker steel than XJ LCA's and made of boxed square tubing instead of channel
    -can be modded to fit XJ by cutting down the bushings to fit in the XJ's LCA pockets

WJ rear LCA's
    -don't have the tire clearance bend but are 2 longer than stock XJ LCA's
    - slightly thicker steel than XJ LCA's and made of boxed square tubing instead of channel
    -can be modded to fit XJ by cutting down the bushings to fit in the XJ's LCA pockets

ZJ
    V8 coils give 1 of lift on a XJ
    gastank skid can be made to fit a 97+ XJ
    rear discs can be swapped onto a c-clip D35 or corp 8.25
    V8 tierod is much stronger than the XJs and is a direct swap.

Early to mid 90s ford crown vic rear disc brakes are almost a direct swap to an XJ d44 or non c-clip d35. All that is needed to bolt them up is a spacer that goes between the outer bearing retainer and outer bearing seal to make up the difference in thickness between the caliper bracket and drum bracket to give the proper bearing preload. On the XJ d44 you can use the factory outer retainer for a TJ Rubicon d44 (mopar pn 1-05083678AA) after it is redrilled to correct axle flange bolt pattern. On the non c-clip d35 a custom spacer must be fabbed up. A 1/4 tall section of 2.5 od tubing with a ~.120 wall thickness should work.

The following vehicles rear leaf packs can be used in combination w/ an XJs mainleaf to lift the rear end (cut the eyes off of the mainleafs). Trial and error will determine how much lift.
    Dakota leafs
    S10 leafs- I'm trying these first. I hope to get around 4"-4.5"
    MJ leafs
    XJ leafs

YJ rear brake line is 3 longer than the XJ's and is a direct swap.
    what is needed for the disk brake swap? i have the chrystler 8.25 rear, may get a 8.8 sometime down the road
    no cash, no lift, no life

Chats

There are a few threads on here with people talking about the disc conversion... I started one that folks can put links in that might be helpful to completing this conversion... I have included quite a few links that I have found very informative on this check out the thread.. and feel free to post if you still have any questions on the conversion..

If you do decide to do the 8.8 conversion then you can just pick up an 8.8 that already has disc brakes out of an Exploder, and you can keep an eye out for one that is already set up with 4.10 gears if you plan to go to 33's, and/or keep an eye out for a LSD diff
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

If you have the 8.25, you can use Jeep Liberty rear discs and cable. The 8.8 is available on some models with the discs already on.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    There are a few threads on here with people talking about the disc conversion... I started one that folks can put links in that might be helpful to completing this conversion... I have included quite a few links that I have found very informative on this check out the thread.. and feel free to post if you still have any questions on the conversion..

If you do decide to do the 8.8 conversion then you can just pick up an 8.8 that already has disc brakes out of an Exploder, and you can keep an eye out for one that is already set up with 4.10 gears if you plan to go to 33's, and/or keep an eye out for a LSD diff
    i found a 8.8 on craigslist last night w/lsd, and disks 250 might get it

Chats

rear hatch struts on my 95 were wore out so I replaced them with beefier ones from a 2000 ford windstar rear hatch. they are longer so it lifts hatch a bit higher. they work great! they fit perfect, snap right in. now i'm gonna rig up the wore out original struts for hood struts.

I also did the s10 bastard pack on my leafs. works great, lifted about 3.5 inch. also used the s10 shocks they are 4.5" longer then stock xj rear shocks. springs are a bit stiff but still flex well offroad since I have a bunch of weight in back from all the gear I carry. the shackle angle is pretty bad now though, almost straight up and down. I also have the 95 dakota rear brake lines and 95 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd front lines.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    If you have the 8.25, you can use Jeep Liberty rear discs and cable. The 8.8 is available on some models with the discs already on.
    what do you do? just pull the brakes and replace them? or the axle?

XjJeepacorn is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

I used the Zj rear discs because the parts are plentiful at the jy liberty a aren't really showing up there to much yet only seen one this year in the 5 years I've been going to my local yard.

You have to pull the axels, grind out the hole for the mounting plate bolt it back up and put the breaks back together, I also used jeep kj e break cables.

Check out my write up

http://www.jeepacornforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98
    Last edited by XjJeepacorn; 08-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Be ware of my BIG DOG complex

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by jeephater View Post
    rear hatch struts on my 95 were wore out so I replaced them with beefier ones from a 2000 ford windstar rear hatch. they are longer so it lifts hatch a bit higher. they work great! they fit perfect, snap right in. now i'm gonna rig up the wore out original struts for hood struts.

I also did the s10 bastard pack on my leafs. works great, lifted about 3.5 inch. also used the s10 shocks they are 4.5" longer then stock xj rear shocks. springs are a bit stiff but still flex well offroad since I have a bunch of weight in back from all the gear I carry. the shackle angle is pretty bad now though, almost straight up and down. I also have the 95 dakota rear brake lines and 95 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd front lines.
    Keep us updated on the WindStar struts. I'm wondering if strong and higher might cause problems with the hatch hinges down the road.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by dok1313 View Post
    Dodge Durango steering boxes are way stronger than stock XJ's, and if I'm not mistaken, direct bolt in.
    Is that '87 +
    ...or only post Chrysler XJ's?
    Be strong when you are weak.
    Be brave when you are afraid.
    Be humble when you are victorious.
    But be a badass everyday!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Chats

Any of them.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

I found this website while perusing the web for information on junkyard lifts for XJ's. Seems like a very informative page and could help some people out on their projects. http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

Chats

Good info. Going to upgrade my steering gear now!

Chats

This thread was a great idea and I think it needs a little resurrection. Perhaps when posting swap-outs that can be done, years can be used as well so that we know what year(s) of the swap-out we're talking about and what year(s) of vehicle said swap-outs can go onto.

Something like, "On the 1985-97 Hillybilly Truck, the rear Widgets are a direct swap-out for the pre-'97 XJ's." and perhaps we could actually get a parts chart started on this?

I think that would be absolutely fantastic for budget builders!

Cheers!
    JeepZombie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345