Thread: Probably a crazy idea, not sure!!

Default Probably a crazy idea, not sure!!

Alright guys, I've been thinking lately what I can do with my xj to make it more trail worthy, but seeing as how it's my DD I'm kinda limited..

But.. My idea is this:
    You ready?! Drumroll!!!!!!!

Coilovers on only 3-4 inches of lift!!
    Now I've seen coilovers done on extremely modified trail rigs and Buggies and the likes, running 40s and such, but I was wondering if it was possible to do it while also keeping it semi stock looking besides the little bit of lift?

I'll probably run no bigger than a 30-31 inch tire, and I want a bit more flex and articulation but also good on road comfort. I'm thinking maybe like a 12-14 inch coilover with maybe 3-5 inches of up travel. I have the means of fabing up some towers for the support I'm sure I'd need, and I don't mind cutting a bit as long as I can do it within like a weekend or a few days and be able to take it on the road very soon afterwards. And I know this probably takes a lot of planning, but that's fine, I'm in no rush I want things done right!

If anyone could give some input I'd really appreciate it, this idea is gonna bug the hell out of me till I figure whether it's doable or not!!

Default Re: Probably a crazy idea, not sure!!

I like the idea, and would be pretty cool but i just don't see it being practical or really worth it. Now, if this is something you just want to do to be different and cool, go for it! But just to lift it, go with the typical parts. And if you want a really good ride, the best options are Old Man Emu and Deaver. Not cheap but just about the best.

Don't mean to discourage, just reality.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Coil overs are definitely cool. Infinitely tunable etc. The front is easy, just put one in where the stock shock should go and you have it. The rear is another story. Generally you have to start cutting holes in the floor back there and then DD status gets affected by the holes and the framework you need to do. A better alternative is to use coils in the rear with good shocks and coilovers up front if you want. But with the setup you are planning, with only a small uptravel would require very soft springs on them. The bottom line is it won't corner well. Coil over suspensions set up this way are notorious for swaying in corners.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Ahh.. Makes sense. What would be advantages/disadvantages to running them only in the front?

There are a lot of advantages to running them on any corner. One of course is the fact you can set them up any way you want. Rock crawler to pre runner, which are just the opposite ends of the spectrum. One disadvantage though is that the bump stops have to be lowered more than usual due to the internal construction being thicker than a normal shock. So you gain length of shock and bump stop given the same amount of travel over a stock type of shock. Other than that, there are no disadvantages
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm looking at a more prerunner sort of setup if I'm correct? If I do decide to run them just up front what would you recommend for the rear to get similar flex and stability? I'm sure new leafs would be the start as mine are beyond flat, they actually have an upward curve to them.. And shock wise, would relocation/different shock angle be better?

One might think so. But even those are not set up for DD. They have soft spring rates and an extremely soft rat in back. In fact many pics in action show them squatting. In addition, they have shocks that are very stiff on compression and soft on rebound to allow the suspension to absorb the bumps at speed and still react and extend. Generally most suspensions that are marketed offer standard type shock rates with spring rates that are slightly more than stock rates. A rule of thumb is that flex comes from soft spring rates.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Okay, so would an add a leaf be a better alternative since it's cheaper and just stiffens up the stock leafs a little? And I am going to go with some aftermarket shocks as mine need replaced soon anyways, I just need to look to see which suit my wants and needs better.

Add a leaf is a good idea until you finalize your plans more. To make that easier, just drop the axle and take the spring apart without removing the main leaf. If you have any rust issues this makes life much better
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

I have virtually no rust, looks like it was under coated from the beginning which is really nice. I guess I'll be going to the JY very soon and pulling some S-10 leafs then. Thanks for all the input, it's greatly appreciated!!

And since I'm gonna be doing a 4wd conversion on it starting Monday, I should be able to drop the rear axle then and grab some extra leafs from somewhere to see how it sits and goes from there.

Works for me
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers