Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    XJ4IV Guest

Default Axle upgrade options...

I just found out this past weekend that you can get a D44 out of a Honda passport... I asked the guy if it was a weak setup like the Grand Cherokee aluminum ones and he said he thought the same thing prior and he researched it to find it was a perfectly good D44 and not weak in any way.
    What I would like to know is what OTHER options are out there to put some strength into our axles... I wil most likely do the honda D44 but I REALLY wanna know about the front axle.
    Im mostly looking for D44 strength as I dont need D60's and ALL I can come up with is old school wagoneer narrow width to match the honda D44
    PLEASE anybody lend me some advice so I can hit up the JY in the next few weeks!!!
    Thanks

Chats

Default Re: Axle upgrade options...

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV View Post
    I just found out this past weekend that you can get a D44 out of a Honda passport... I asked the guy if it was a weak setup like the Grand Cherokee aluminum ones and he said he thought the same thing prior and he researched it to find it was a perfectly good D44 and not weak in any way.
    What I would like to know is what OTHER options are out there to put some strength into our axles... I wil most likely do the honda D44 but I REALLY wanna know about the front axle.
    Im mostly looking for D44 strength as I dont need D60's and ALL I can come up with is old school wagoneer narrow width to match the honda D44
    PLEASE anybody lend me some advice so I can hit up the JY in the next few weeks!!!
    Thanks
    I remember seeing on "Xtreme 4x4" that they took a rear axle and made it into a steerable axle. Ford 8.8 front and rear would be pretty cool...

Chats

fullsize(f-150) 8.8 iirc is stronger then a 44 iv got one in the rear of mine and is only an inch narrower then my fullwidth d44

Chats

D44 is a decent axle. They have been used for years. You can also source one out of an Isuzu. The nice thing is that if you are in the mood to part with some cash you can lock them with 35 spine axle shafts and have something as strong as a D60 with less weight and ground clearance. Personally though if I was looking for ultimate strength, I would go with the Ford 9" in front. Stamped steel axles are much easier to modify and work with than Dana axles. I will be doing the same type of thing with Toyota 8.25, also stronger than a 44 in the near future.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Like 4.3 said, you can also source the same D44 rear axle out of an Isuzu Rodeo, since the Passport was just a rebadged Rodeo. They're a pretty decent axle, and I think the housing is stronger than the XJ D44 housing. Only issue is they're a 6x5.5" bolt pattern so you've got to get new rims and swap the front to match -- which is why the Waggy D44 front end is a good match: it's got the same 6x5.5" bolt pattern.

Couple of things to keep in mind with D44 fronts... the stock Waggy D44 axle shafts are actually weaker than stock D30 axle shafts, and D44s use the same u-joints as D30s, so in terms of "axle" strength, you're really not gaining much. Now the housing, ball joints, and just about everything else is bigger and stronger than on a D30, but you're still just as likely to snap a joint or axle shaft yoke on a D44 as you are on a D30. The Waggy D44 is also low pinion, though it's not a huge issue.

Short of going full-width or building a custom width axle housing yourself, or having one built for you, the Waggy D44 front is really the best and only option for a D44 front end (not counting Wrangler Rubicon D44 fronts). And like I said above, if you're doing an Isuzu/Honda D44 rear, the Waggy is even better because it's got a matching bolt pattern.
    Jason West - Jeepin.com / JeepinOutfitters.com
    '95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35" MT/Rs, D30 w/hubs & ARB, D44 w/Detroit, 4.56s, C4x4 bumpers, XD9000i, etc, etc.
    '09 JK, Unlimited Rubicon, RE 3.5" SF, 35" BFG KM2s, Expedition One bumpers, T&T Customs rockers & skids, XRC10 Comp winch
    '00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30 w/OX, D44 w/ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 bumpers, etc, etc.

XJ4IV Guest

Hmmmmm Glad somebody told me about the lack of strength in the waggy 44's It seems to me that whenever a front axle fails its always the u-joint ... Ive seen only ONE ring gear fail on a 30 but thats not to say it doesnt happen...
    Keep the input coming mostly for FRONT axle options, as far as the wheel change out thats no biggie I have a set of my old durango wheels that I can use or I can get a set of steelies at the JY

Chats

A lot if this is dependent on what you want to spend. If you go with the Waggy front end, might as well grab the rear 44 to go with it. But here is the thing. As I mentioned with the rear 44, the same applies to the front. There are axles available for it that are stronger than the stock 60 axles and will set you back less than the front 60
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

TeXJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

i say screw the axles and the tires and make a hover craft
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
    Imperial walker!

Chats

^ lol now you're thinking, lets roll with that idea
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

[IMG][/IMG]

8.8 all the way
    Adam,
    TR: 98 XJ 4.0 AX-15 NVG241OR D44/8.8 mollys locked F&R , Mid Armed 4 link 6 inch lift 35's
    DD: 00 Saturn
    R.I.P 92 Camry

XJ4IV Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
    but then I could never go "wheeling"

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV View Post
    but then I could never go "wheeling"
    No you would go "Hovering"
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

lol

The 8.8 is a very good option. If you can find the xj D44 I think that would be fine with 35s. plus not as involved as a 8.8 install. Since im staying with 33s, i'm good with my 8.25.
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

Get an 8.8 if you want to run your stock 30 or a rubi 44. My 89 xj had a d30 with lockrite, 8.8 welded, both with stock shafts, 4.88 gears, and 35-36" tires. I wheeled it very hard and never broke anything. You could swap in an 8.8 with 4.10 and limited slip with disc brakes from awesome auto for 29.99 + the cost of gas to dallas and back. then buy a front 4.10 r&p used for cheap. Also a good time to lockrite the front axle.

OR find a waggy with both front and rear 44s and build them up. My YJ had waggy 44s 5.89 gears lockrite front and welded rear with 38/14.50/15 TSLs. I broke 1 stub shaft after years of wheeling and that was my fault for not knowing when to take a strap.

The 8.8 route would be less than half the cost of the dana 44 builds and just about as strong. Perfect setup for 35-36" tires.
    1993 2 door 4.0 5spd front d44 high steer detroit waggy leafs, rear 9" 5.13s spool flipped xj bastard leafs, 113" wheel base 37" MTRs 15/10 crawlers 8k winch and round headlights
    1999 4 door 4.0 auto 4x2 stock and for sale!
    2001 Tahoe Z71 5.3 2" lift 33" mall terrainsand ranchhand, air bags and brake controller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast