Thread: Rust recommendations

Cool Rust recommendations

I recently bought my used XJ and it has some rust on it. Doesn't bother me but i'd like to know what to do to repair it (DIY). From about an inch or two width, it goes from the drivers side bottom of wheel well - to rear wheel well. Some spots of rust is thru the body even.

Noob to mechanics and Jeeps. Fast learner. On the path to taking care of it. Ideas needed.

Thanks

Default Re: Rust recommendations

You're talking about the area under the doors?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I knock off and remove all the big rust and chunks and sand down everything then hit it with Naval Jelly. After that I primer with rust preventing primer. For holes cut away the rust and get some screen for a screen door and some JB weld. After prepping the hole and killing all rust with chipping, sanding and naval jelly take the screen and cut a section out that will overlap the hole by one inch on all sides. Then take a small and I mean small amount of JB weld and "tack" the screen in place at the edges of the screen and be sure the screen is tight with no wrinkles or droops. After the small JB weld drops setup make up some more JB weld and start scraping it across the screen. you want to use the screen to form a base for the JB weld to hold onto but you also want it to go through the screen so that it covers both sides of the hole. I have done this a few times on previous vehicle and it works great. The screen for the door should be the nylon type and not the metal as it will hold better do to the smaller diameter of the nylon and the tighter spacing.

Of course after the JB weld hardens sand prep and paint.
    Off road enthusiast's are not the ones killing nature, it's new sub-divisions, businesses, and strip malls.

- Yea. sort of under doors. parallel to how running boards would set if i had any.
    - Thanks reddragon

There are two issues when dealing with rust. First you have to neutralize it. Body shops have compounds for this. As long as the rust can keep making more, you will never be able to keep it repaired. Second, it needs to be completely covered and not allowed to get any more oxygen from the air to form more. If you get that covered, you have it made.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Most definitely look into it! por15.com
    Found some POW-R-Liner Might just look into doing that ..DIY Rhino lining the whole body. Would stil have to worry bout rust treatments first tho right, if go with POW-R Lining the whole body? I do have some higher priced walmart rustoleum treatment if that does anything

Yes, you still must first treat the rust to stop it. Body shops have a type of bondo that combines with the rust that makes it stop and toughens it up too so you can work with it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Not sure of where you are, but If the rust is really bad.. it might be worth it to fins another rig As pointed out, unless treated properly you will never get rid of it. Where I live (chesapeake bay area of VA) the conditions of rigs vary greatly, and the prices do not. YOu can find a rust free rig, just as cheap as a rusty rig.

Just an observation.. the 90 an older rigs in my area do not rust as fast as the newer ones
    87 XJ Chopped Locked Alloyed, Caged 3 linked W/doubler
    87 Free MJ Project
    90 MJ DD stock on 31's
    90 MJ Truggy 1tons, doubler, H1's on 42's

Sheetmetal fears me