Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chats

Default Re: My Bump Stop Thread

You running sissy bars up front to? I mean sway bars? Just lean with it..

What about the rear? Nobody EVER think's about the rear bumpstops..

Travel is all about the down travel and limiting the up... Rear bumpstops are tricky if you have aftermarket Ubolts and havent cut the excess off... I have seen guys inboard them with 2x4 box steal.... would like to see some threads on that... (at the moment I have not done a search on here)... just throwing the Idea out there....

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    You running sissy bars up front to? I mean sway bars? Just lean with it..

What about the rear? Nobody EVER think's about the rear bumpstops..

Travel is all about the down travel and limiting the up... Rear bumpstops are tricky if you have aftermarket Ubolts and havent cut the excess off... I have seen guys inboard them with 2x4 box steal.... would like to see some threads on that... (at the moment I have not done a search on here)... just throwing the Idea out there....
    I have the front sway bar with disconnects. I haven't had a sissy bar since my spider bike when I was a kid.

The rear bump stop info (which I have not installed yet) is futher up in the thread.

TeXJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

im needing bumpstops for the front of mine. Those that went to Brazos with us noticed i broke my washer fluid resivour(sp) In the back i have 2x2 square tubing and a Rusty's extended bump stop.

In the front i kept putting hockey pucks and glueing them down, they kept popping off, so i would use different glue, i used what i thought was really good glue, i didnt skimp on that.

So now i am thinking about just getting the composite boltable(is that a word?) pucks that are 3 -4"s high.
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
    im needing bumpstops for the front of mine. Those that went to Brazos with us noticed i broke my washer fluid resivour(sp) In the back i have 2x2 square tubing and a Rusty's extended bump stop.

In the front i kept putting hockey pucks and glueing them down, they kept popping off, so i would use different glue, i used what i thought was really good glue, i didnt skimp on that.

So now i am thinking about just getting the composite boltable(is that a word?) pucks that are 3 -4"s high.
    Popping off? The come off and go through the coil spring? You are gluing them to the pad at the bottom of the coil right?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Popping off? The come off and go through the coil spring? You are gluing them to the pad at the bottom of the coil right?
    yeah i would clean the pad at the bottom then glue one on, then another then another, making sure they were nice and hard, when i would flex, the upper bump stop is not hitting it strait down, if you look they kind of point forward a tad. So that would hit the puck and i guess the force would move it, breaking the bond. Then i would loose the puck on the trail.

So i need to bolt them down. Or buy the plastic pucks with a bolt that is recessed.
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

Stick them together with silicone they will never come off
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Chats

My tires didn't hit because I clearenced the fender wells.
    Buuuttt the Diff did. It punched right through my oil pan.
    I got a pan from a stock Cherokee and it was dented also.
    So I bought the Daystar extended Bumpstops. They weren't enough so I added a hockypuck. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the puck. Then used a hole saw that I think was about 1" dia. and cut into the puck the depth of a 3/8" bolt head and flat washer. I dug the rubber out and drilled an tappped where it was going to go. I then bolted the puck and silicolned it in.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeXJ View Post
    Stick them together with silicone they will never come off
    I first tried 3M adhesive, then i had a friend that worked on cop cars to make crown vic's into well cop cars, and they would use a black silicone stuff on there lights to hold stuff down and i used that stuff and it still did not work.

Its always the driver side that spits them out, the passenger side i have no problem with.
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

I first tried 3M adhesive, then i had a friend that worked on cop cars to make crown vic's into well cop cars, and they would use a black silicone stuff on there lights to hold stuff down and i used that stuff and it still did not work.

Its always the driver side that spits them out, the passenger side i have no problem with.
    I went with stuff that bonds things to your house roof! I wanted it to handle heat and weather. Failing that some bad a epoxy!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    I went with stuff that bonds things to your house roof! I wanted it to handle heat and weather. Failing that some bad a epoxy!
    I'll look into that, is that the tar stuff? Link/pic?
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

I'll look into that, is that the tar stuff? Link/pic?
    The stuff I found was actually a light gray.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Niac View Post
    My tires didn't hit because I clearenced the fender wells.
    Buuuttt the Diff did. It punched right through my oil pan.
    I got a pan from a stock Cherokee and it was dented also.
    So I bought the Daystar extended Bumpstops. They weren't enough so I added a hockypuck. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the puck. Then used a hole saw that I think was about 1" dia. and cut into the puck the depth of a 3/8" bolt head and flat washer. I dug the rubber out and drilled an tappped where it was going to go. I then bolted the puck and silicolned it in.

I run factory Bumpstops and NEVER have had this problem... Looks more like a track-bar issue... Sucsk none the less.. I have taco'd my D.side lower control arm mount and pushed my front yolk into my exhaust down pipe once.. that was loud... But never had an issue with hitting my oil pan... Might wanna do some more investigation on that one.... Just a though..

Chats

I run 4 hockey pucks per side. I drilled 3/8 holes and used 3/8 bolts. On the top puck I also took a 1in drill bit and drilled down just enough so the bolt head would be counter sunk. Also drilled into the spring perch. Those things dont move at all.

Bill

Chats

i guess you can get a nut under the spring perch?

Havent looked at one in a long time, so rusty on the details
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

Chats

Yes the drivers side coil perch was easy, but the pass side took a little bit of work and swearing and droping/throwing things. But yes it can be done.

Bill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast