Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Tire Size and Lift Height

I have found an ultimate set of tires for my 2001 XJ ,They are a remould tire..with the famous Silverstone tyre tread made overseas..but they are DOT legal here..size is 32-10.5x16..lots of tread depth..my guess would be 24+ 32s of tread..my question is..would these fit on 16x8 aftermarket wheels on mine with a 3" rough country lift..??...thanks to all who can help..back spacing is 3.75 ..Loko

Chats

Yup. Just right. Might end up doing a little trimming tough depending on how much you stuff them in the rear. Some rear bumpstoping will be in order with those aftermarket? wheels. If stock back spacing, should be good to go
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I can almost guarantee your gonna have to trim the front fenders/flares to fit the 32".

Chats

Icon6 Re: Tire Size and Lift Height

thanks..dont mind trimming the fenders or rear quarter panel opening,.thanks again ..Loko

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Loko XJ View Post
    thanks..dont mind trimming the fenders or rear quarter panel opening,.thanks again ..Loko
    have ya got a pic of said silverstone look a like.....great mud tire..

these tires are a true muddie and will brake stock on ya jeep...
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Chats

First and fore most I did not write this. But I agree with every word and I thought this would be a great help for any one else looking at lift size an tire size. I found this on another forum while doing research an saved it because it is in my opinion a pretty ingenious way to build a quite able low cog big tire XJ! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/low...24-12-a-32980/ Very good read, it's a lot to read an take in but well worth it for some one looking for a seriously capable rig!

Chats

Ha, the Cherokee Forum LCOG agenda. A couple of us have gotten in trouble on there for DARING to have something taller. Bear in mind the poster on that thread has trashed at least three XJs that I know of
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

I didn't know that. I mean regardless of the bad blood, he still brings good points to the table. I've had both, a tall XJ with leafs all around an it was a lot of fun, now I understand being leafs springs limited it (was my first XJ build). But after that I built a much lower long arm XJ using a lot of the same things he did an sat it on 38's, fit 40's but limited travel, an it performed right up there with several other jeeps an buggies I wheeled with. One buggies I wheeled with was a full tune chassis build with an LS currie 9's atlas twin stick 44's etc the whole shabang an I could 98% of what he could. I won't ever bash some one preferred method of building, to each his own, which is why I just thought maybe some one else on here would find it Interesting as I did.

Chats

I am not disagreeing with the good points of LCOG. It just isn't the only way. That is the problem there. My point then and still is, build the rig for what you want it to do. KTMRacer lives back east. The rocks are a lot smaller there than in the Sierras where I wheel. The last run I was on in August, I bounced the XJ off a few rocks in spite of my taller lift. The funny thing was the guys that were arguing with me didn't wheel. They were web wheelers.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

anyone recommend running 36" tires?

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Not on stock axles, unless they have been geared correctly, trussed, and have chromoly shafts. Swapping in 1 ton axles wouldn't be a bad idea.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Thinking about installing them on xj Dana44 and gear to 4.88. Thoughts?

Chats

The 44 will handle them fine. The D30 front will be a little iffy though. It is a little to much for the unit bearings and may be too much for the axle shaft U joints. Don't put the power to it with the steering wheel turned all the way to either side
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

I've looked over so many forums and I cannot find a straight forward answer. I am going to run a Rubicon Express 3.5in Super-Ride kit on my 1987 XJ. In reality this kit puts on 4.25in of lift. I'm going to use 10.50 wide tires. WHAT SHOULD MY BACKSPACING BE??? The Rubicon Express website recommends bs between 4.00"-4.75" so I decided I'm gonna get 16x8 wheels with 4.5" of bs but everyone says I'm going to have rubbing issues and I'm trying to avoid trimming. So then I decided to go with 15x8 wheels with 3.75" of bs but still people are telling me I'm gonna have issues with rubbing. Can somebody please clear the air for me? Also, will I be able to fit 265/75r16 (32x10.50) tires? On the Quadratec YouTube channel, they installed this lift and they put the same size on their XJ and didn't have to trim anything.
    Last edited by Ryanriddle14; 07-17-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Chats

It's really gonna come down to flex. With around 4" lift you should clear those tires for street use and even if you needed to trim it would be minimal on the bottom of the front flares. Now flexing is another story. I do believe you'll be rubbing with that combination if your flexing decently. Although the main area for contact is the front lower flare/fender and is easily trimmed should you decide it's worth it and I suggest it. The bumper covers most of that portion anyway. For the bs I don't have a ton of knowledge on but can say I had 15x8 with 3.75" bs on 31x10.50s that was well clear of the control arms. It does make it a bit wide for the height and may make it contact the flare easier but if you ever plan to go higher and keep the same wheels I would stick with it so you can fit a 12.5 no problem. Although if you want to stay with the same setup the 4.5" bs should work fine and may fit the tire in the well better. You can see my rig back when I had the 31s on 15x8 3.75" bs, and it's on the Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit. Which did come out higher as is just how it is with Rubicon, 5" front, 5.5" rear. It flexed well enough I had to trim a good bit for full flex, even with the 31x10.50s. And you could always bumpstop, but that would be at a premium sacrifice of uptravel.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 07-17-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12