Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cher96 Guest

Default Tire Size and Lift Height

This is a chart with recommended tire size to lift height.

There are many opinions. Especially when companies want to sell you a lift kit.
    Most of the lift kits have tire size suggestions. They are fine if you plan to Mall Crawl.

I have my own recommendations I have derived from years of research into lift heights and tire size. I have read many an article, studied and dreamed about almost every lift kit in production while imagining that kit being installed on my XJ. I have studied hoards of photos of XJs with different lift kits and tire sizes. And, certainly I have personally been around enough XJs and talked to many owners to squeeze what ever information I could get them to talk about their build. I can talk about XJs all day long. I am obsessed, I know.

I have posted some of this before and here it is put together and edited with a touch more added.

At 3" of lift, most kits are pretty complete with some exceptions. Some do not have Shocks included, some without Control Arms, and some without both. Any lift 3"s and taller should also have Extended Brake Lines installed, an Adjustable Track Bar and a Drop Pitman Arm.

Any lift 3.5"s to 5"s or so may get away without having to install an SYE and Drive Shaft by using a Transfer Case Drop Kit. However, if vibration occurs, then an SYE and Drive Shaft are a must.

Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. Over 4.5, it is better to go with a Long Arm Kit. Anything over 6.5, you may have plenty of Front End Steering Problems and other Complications and may need to install a Steering Conversion Kit. There are a lot of differences between Lift Sizes and what comes with those kits.

5.5" and taller Short Arm Lift Kits should use Control Arm Drop Brackets for a better ride and articulation.

"Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs."

If you plan to run 33s... go 4.5 with a lot of cutting of the fenders.

If you plan to run 33s... go 5.5 or 6.5 with NO cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine.

If your going to run 28s - 30s then 3" is fine.

This is just my opinion. There are as many opinions as there are stars.

It really all depends on how your Jeep sits and what Lift Kit you get. Some lift kits like those from Rubicon Express actually lifts you higher than advertised lift height; other kits lower and others right on the mark. It all depends on who you buy from and what lift kit you buy.
    Last edited by cher96; 05-12-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Chats

I stickied this thread because it should be helpful to many as a reference. Thanks Vicki.

cher96 Guest

Jp Magazine is one of the best authorities when it comes to Jeep Builds. Here is a chart that has been uploaded and edited to reflect Tire Size and Lift Height for the different models of Cherokee. In Europe the Liberty is known as a Cherokee.

This is the URL to a write up from Jp Magazine on Self-Clearance Prevention:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...rts/guide.html

Take time and imagine what Lift Kit and Tires would make your Jeep look and do what you want it to.

This is the Citation for this Chart:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl.../photo_05.html

Chats

Great imfo cher96, Thank you......
    1996 XJ Sport-RE 4.5" & Daystar BB netting about 6"s..Adjustable Upper & lower control arms..HD adjustable track bar...RE Mono shocks...Mojave teflon rims w/BFG 32x11.50 KM2s...RR SYE & CV shaft combo...Treck's steering frame brace and M.O.R.E. Brace...Kargo master roof rack w/home brew light mount...Home brew snorkel w/K&N filter...Yaesu 857 & Galaxy DX99V CB radios...DeTours Backbone and Tailbone system...8000 lb winch....

jimsredxj Guest

Default Re: Tire Size and Lift Height

thank's for the info! the rear springs are shot in my jeep, so i was looking for a lift kit that included them. i want at least run 35's without triming. with all the kits out there, what one would you go with?

Chats

Lots of good information Vicki. But I would like to add one exception. If you want to run 31s and don't have the cash for the more expensive lifts, you can use a 2 or three inch or even no lift at all for some of the shorter 31s by not using aftermarket wheels. This allows the tire to stuff up into the fender and not hit the flare. 31s will hit the LCA in a tight turn, so don't just try to cram the steering wheel and on full stuff will minimally touch the inside of the rear fender flare. Not a big deal in the two times I have done this. But once you use aftermarket wheels, you will have to follow the chart.

Chats

just had to say i ran 3" lift with 33's and so have a few of my friends. another buddy of mine is runnin 33 with 4.5" very minor cutting. im not runnin 36" with 6" lift. also i am on short arms .

Chats

good info i'am just starting mine and this will help alot thank u

Chats

I like the chart on the lift height&tire size,but i have one question.The BDS 6.5" lift I am going to put on my 98 Xj,I want to go with a wider 33" tire than recommended.They recommend 33x12.50x15 with 4.5" of backspacing with a 8" rim.I want to use a 33x13.50x15 on a 10" rim,any idea on the correct backspacing to make this combination work?

Chats

Thank you for this information... as I am currently debating what size tires to run with my 4.5" lift that I am working on putting together as we speak... well parts wise putting together, not putting together on my XJ... unfortunately!!

Chats

good information man thanks!

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster19 View Post
    I like the chart on the lift height&tire size,but i have one question.The BDS 6.5" lift I am going to put on my 98 Xj,I want to go with a wider 33" tire than recommended.They recommend 33x12.50x15 with 4.5" of backspacing with a 8" rim.I want to use a 33x13.50x15 on a 10" rim,any idea on the correct backspacing to make this combination work?
    stock is 5.25 backspacing with a 7" rim width. Wider tires require some math come into play to pick the right back spacing. The tires your talking about would need a rim with 3.5" back space most likely, to keep from having interference problems. You are going 3" wider on rim width over stock so the backspacing would have to get 1.5" to the negative side.

a lot of people are using wheel spacers, this is good if the backspace would be too far from centered in a backspaced wheel for safety and intgrety of the rim.
    Last edited by LizardRunner; 01-05-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add picture
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Chats

Well despite my efforts looks like ive got quite a bit of fender rub,,probly got carried away with the backspacing,,sure does look good though,,, 6.5 RC 33x12.5x15 on 10in rims,, it rubs on the rear outer portion of finder,, in this case my stock flare. Whats my best corse of action,, i dont want to cut finder but will,,,i dont want to loose my well mud guard,,, does the bushwacker cutouts fix this?

Chats

Yes, the bushwackers will. See our vender here for some really tough flares that are cheaper than bushwackers.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats