Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CB Antenna

Chats

Default Re: Best CB Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Yeah I know I will be running a firestick when I build my comm setup... as I have seen them go through some abuse... My step father had dual firesticks on his big rig, and never had any issues with them performance wise, and even after he was involved in a huge accident that involved the truck being rolled on its roof, and bending the heck out of the ant., he was able to pull them off, and install them on his new rig with no issues to performance or looks..
    I think people should consider what they would do if they were alone and were in a roll over. Keep in mind that this can happen even when you are not off road. I think a mag mount antenna stowed in the back just might be a life saver.

Chats

You mean to keep as a spare, or to use a mag mount??? I would think maybe having a mag mount as a spare might not be a bad idea...

Chats

You mean to keep as a spare, or to use a mag mount??? I would think maybe having a mag mount as a spare might not be a bad idea...
    As a spare. A mag mount will stick to the top, or bottom of your rig.

Chats

Yeah I hear that... keep some long coax... in case you need to climb a tree.. LOL.. just one more reason to now wheel alone... that way you can throw you mag mount on the bottom or side of Jeep after you have managed to roll it, and call your partner back, or up if you were ahead of him... I'll def. be behind on my outings....

Chats

Yeah I hear that... keep some long coax... in case you need to climb a tree.. LOL.. just one more reason to now wheel alone... that way you can throw you mag mount on the bottom or side of Jeep after you have managed to roll it, and call your partner back, or up if you were ahead of him... I'll def. be behind on my outings....
    Mobile antennas require a ground plane. Putting a mag mount in a tree would cause very little RF energy to flow out of the antenna. The majority of it would be reflected back to your radio. This can burn out the final transistors making your emergency situation worse.

When you put the antenna on a metal surface it doubles the "electrical" length of the antenna.

Chats

OH yeah... didn't think about that part... I'll just stick with hoping I don't need to use it, but if so will stick it to the bottom of my Jeep somewhere if needed... will def. be picking on up once I start hitting the trails...

Chats

I use a Wilson 5000 magnet mount, with a 3' tunable anttena, and love it.

Chats

I thought about running a magnet mount as a permanent ant. mount for my setup once I start building mine... guess I should start that build soon, as I may need it more often wheeling in a completely stock XJ... then again I can't go too far into trails that my cell won't work for now I guess..

Chats

I was very impressed with the K40 I had on my old blue truck years ago.

I had it mounted on the roof and since it was a twist on/off, I could just open the sliding back glass reach up and quickly disconnect it and sit it next to me in the truck.

I had to do that anytime I went into a drive through. 4" lift and 36.5 tires of a full sized chevy swb.

Chats

Nice.... Yeah I think that is one thing I like about the magnet mounts is that they will detatch themselves and not break something if they do get caught up on a low branch or something... well might scratch the paint... but better than breaking the mount or the ant.

Chats

So far I have been using a Radio Shack Weather Band magnet mount style and have no trouble as of yet. Seems like a good one,picks up great here.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Chats

Yeah I think I will look into collecting everything together once I get my lift, rims/tires taken care of... might just look into a mag mount for now if nothing else... can always upgrade at a later date, and keep the mag mount as an emergency spare...

Chats

I have used a 102" stainless steel whip from radio shack,they work great!Also used a wilson magnetic mount,good also.As far as the 102" fiberglass whip goes,it works but is not even close to a stainless steel whip in clarity.Just think,you can use your 102" stainless steel whip as a bream buster,works great!!!Oh yeah,cheaper&more durable than a real bream buster!!!

Chats

Thanks for this thread, there is some good knowledge and experiance here.
    I run a magnet mount right now but am going to give the 102 whip a try to see if my radio gets any clearer..

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ABN XJ View Post
    Thanks for this thread, there is some good knowledge and experiance here.
    I run a magnet mount right now but am going to give the 102 whip a try to see if my radio gets any clearer..
    An antenna will only change signal strength. That's assuming the antenna, feed line, and radio are properly matched. Also known as SWR.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast