Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CB Antenna

Chats

Exclamation Best CB Antenna

Hey gang I am installing a Hy-Gain II Cb in my 95. Yeah I know its a Dinosaur CB but for 15 cant beat it. What is the best CB antenna out there now a days? Havent dealt with CB's in a while now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chats

Default Re: Best CB Antenna

Firestick is what I have. I ordered mine from Walcott http://www.walcottcb.com/index.php If I had it to do over I would go out to the truckstop in Troutville, Bear, they have a good selection. If a trucker will run it,it is usually a good one. I have a meter to set SWR, let me know if you need to borrow it.

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

I have always heard a 102" is the best performer... but typically most people don't want to (or can't) run something that long and can be dangerous on the trail. You will typically hear Wilson or Firestick brand antennas mentioned. I am running a 102" fiberglass whip on my XJ that I got from a Radio Shack.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    I have always heard a 102" is the best performer... but typically most people don't want to (or can't) run something that long and can be dangerous on the trail. You will typically hear Wilson or Firestick brand antennas mentioned. I am running a 102" fiberglass whip on my XJ that I got from a Radio Shack.
    A full sized antenna is best. 27 MHz is about 33 feet long. 1/2 wave is 16.5 feet, 1/4 wave is about 8.5 feet (102 inches). Anything shorter must use a loading coil to make the radio's transmitter THINK that the antenna is at least 102 inches long (1/4 wave). Loading coils generate heat and don't receive radio signals very well. So you lose transmission power and reception. The longer your antenna the more signal you can receive.

So basically anything shorter that 1/4 sucks, it just depends how much.

With that said antennas with loading coils (that includes the firestick) work better than NO antenna, and you may see little difference in performance depending on the distance from the station that you are communicating with.

On a Jeep trail, you would be hard pressed to notice a difference talking to someone a mile or less away.

I would say those (4 feet?) fiberglass antennas are about as tough as you can get. Also they are cheap enough to have a spare.

Make sure you mount them away from metal and as high up as possible.

Chats

The only problem with the long whips is they are illegal at most off road parks and other areas due to damaging the vehilcle behind you. I run the fire stick but much prefer the base loaded k40
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Payless 4x View Post
    The only problem with the long whips is they are illegal at most off road parks and other areas due to damaging the vehilcle behind you. I run the fire stick but much prefer the base loaded k40
    That's interesting. I have a 102" whip on my Jeep, but that's because a 4' whip won't work on my radio. Actually I built a 3" add on so my antenna is 12' long.

Chats

Been thinkin of a steel whip from Radio Shack. Have any of ya'll used them?
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    That's interesting. I have a 102" whip on my Jeep, but that's because a 4' whip won't work on my radio. Actually I built a 3" add on so my antenna is 12' long.
    Mabey in TX thats ok but here in Ca its not. I've been to a couple places that actually made you take them off if you wanted to wheel there. I like the steel whips just not practical here. The fact that a 4' ant wont work on yours really puzzles me though, I have never heard of that before.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Payless 4x View Post
    Mabey in TX thats ok but here in Ca its not. I've been to a couple places that actually made you take them off if you wanted to wheel there. I like the steel whips just not practical here. The fact that a 4' ant wont work on yours really puzzles me though, I have never heard of that before.
    I heard that the other day as well. That 4' loading coil of an antenna is fine for a CB.

Indiana, just across the river from Louisville KY
    Chats

The local radio guru would say to make sure you 'tune' any antenna to the channels you frequent. My little cheapo antenna wasn't good for much until he tuned it. Now it works great.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by jdougn View Post
    The local radio guru would say to make sure you 'tune' any antenna to the channels you frequent. My little cheapo antenna wasn't good for much until he tuned it. Now it works great.
    A lot of people focus to heavily on reflected power (Standing Wave Ratio - SWR). Anything from a 1.7:1 to 1.1:1 is fine. I recommend tuning lowest SWR on channel 20 (not technically the center of the CB band, but close enough). If your SWR is going above 1.7:1 in a mere 40 channels of band width at 27 MHz you have antenna problems (or feed line, or antenna mounting issues).

Chats

Then are you saying that brands don't matter Muddy just SWR factors?
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BlueXJ View Post
    Then are you saying that brands don't matter Muddy just SWR factors?
    Well what I was talking about was people's over concern about SWR measurements. Every antenna will have a SWR regardless of brand. I like brands but mainly from the stand point of consistency and proficiency of design.

XJ4IV Guest

ummmm that al being said I use a 48" firestick that I got from a radio guy in north dallas... he tuned it for me and it works great... I told him I wanted a strong antenna that would hold up to offroad abuse... and hoenstly I have put mine through hell and back ask ANYBODY who has wheeled with me everything above my roofline is totally abused and NONE of it has damaged I even once forgot about the antenna and pulled into a carport and had the stick hang up and when I went to back up it bent like designed to do and whipped back into form... I think my firestick is pretty dang good for 18 bucks

Chats

Yeah I don't get it... Apparently hams are allowed to have whatever ant. setup works for the rig... but CB's can't??!! I don't know, doesn't make any kind of sense to me.. I just know that he got a few tickets on different occasions for his ant, being too long and a danger to bystanders... which is kind of funny, since he always has the end tied down to the front of his Jeep, not up in the air and whipping around where it'd be dangerous... Kind of confusing to me... Most of them, I've noticed have the loading coil (or whatever you want to call it) at the bottom, and their ant, aren't too crazy long, but have seen a few of the long ones..
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 07-24-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast