• Go with the 4.5"

13 61.90%
  • Other Size

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Size Lift

Chats

Default What Size Lift

Okay I ordered a three inch lift for my Jeep, but since I am not going to put it on until I have the wheels and tires to go with it, I thought I would take a poll to see what size lift you all think I should go with

Stay with the 3" or go with the 4.5"

Chats

4.5"
    What brand did you go with?

Chats

Much of the lift quality is dependant upon the maker much like an eBay bumper vs a Detours so therefore inquiring minds want to know.

Chats

4.5" is a good safe way to go and even looks good. What size tires are you going with?

Chats

Remember the higher the lift, the larger the tire you can run (other factors here) and the more ground to diff clearance you can have. This is the lowest point after all.

Chats

I have the RE 3.5 and it works just fine but if I had to do it all over again I would get the 4.5" lift. Remember because of the price you payed you basically have stolen that lift, I would have bought it at that price. We all payed a lot more money
    "ACK!" Bill the Cat

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Remember the higher the lift, the larger the tire you can run (other factors here) and the more ground to diff clearance you can have. This is the lowest point after all.
    Also allows more 'stuffing of the rubba, and when set up correctly....better articulation.............not to mention, it's sexier.....

cher96 Guest

Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. However, mine is fine at 5".

I run a 3" Rock Krawler Lift with 2" Spacers and 2.5" Shackles. I have installed Adjustable Lower Control Arms and I find the Ride Fine Enough. The Lift did not come with control arms or shocks, however, I had Shocks for a 5" Lift installed.

Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs.

If you plan to run 33s... go 4.5 with a lot of cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine. Many people run with 31s on a 3" lift, however, in full articulation my experience has been that the tires scrub the fender well. I would never tell anyone to start off with a 3" lift. Most people, I think, usually end up higher.

Since I run a 5" lift and have cut out my fenders... I plan to go to 33s on my next tire purchase. At that height it is easy for me to just slide into the driver's seat without having to climb into my XJ. I am tall for a lady.

Hope this helps.

cher96 Guest

BTW You could add a budget lift Like I did to your 3" lift for around 90 off Ebay. You would have to buy 5" lift shocks (3" lift shocks plus 2" from Pro Comp or someone else) for the 3" and 2" setup. You could sell the new shocks for the 3" lift on Ebay or to a friend for full price since they are new.

Or sell the 3" lift and buy a 4.5" if that is what you decide. Lots of choices.

Good luck...

Just my .02

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by cher96 View Post
    BTW You could add a budget lift Like I did to your 3" lift for around 90 off Ebay. You would have to buy 5" lift shocks (3" lift shocks plus 2" from Pro Comp or someone else) for the 3" and 2" setup. You could sell the new shocks for the 3" lift on Ebay or to a friend for full price since they are new.

Or sell the 3" lift and buy a 4.5" if that is what you decide. Lots of choices.

Good luck...

Just my .02
    I went with a 4.5" lift because that is the highest I could get without having to do a SYE. Now I'm glad I did because with my rear bumper and tire carrier I needed an extra lift in the back. My plans are to go to 6.5" once the SYE is installed and 35" tires. I'll do 2" spacers in front and just move the rear springs to the next hole on the shackles. I'm sure a drop pitman arm and track bar a long with brake lines will be in my future. I just bought front shocks that are for 4" to 6" lifts. So with the winch and custom front bumper I think I'll be in it's range.

cher96 Guest

My 3" Rock Krawler lift (from 4wheelparts) came with an adjustable track bar and a drop pitman arm but no shocks and no control arms. I thought the stock lower control arms were too flimsy so I got a pair of adjustables from Iron Man 4x4. They are really nice and affordable off of Ebay. I bought the spacers for under 30 off Ebay and I ordered 1.5/2.5" shackles from BTW Performance Azusa CA for 53 shipped. The shocks (3" lift + 2") I got from 4wheelparts and picked them up from their store 3 miles from me. I have extended brake lines from when I bought the 3" lift.

I would have loved to go to a 4.5 at the time but couldn't afford it. I ran with the 3" lift for about 6 months before I added the 2 inches to it.

At 5" of lift, I have still not had to go with an SYE. I can not afford one at this time anyhow. Thank God I have no vibration problems.

Chats

I went with a Rough Country lift from Jc Whitney, and after all was said and done, I paid less than a 100 for it http://www.jcwhitney.com/ROUGH-COUNT...3436_10101.jcw

I would like to keep my Jeep as stock as possible since I don't off road very much and never where I would really need a lift. I just like to take all the back country roads that are not paved to see where I end up. I don't want to have to cut the fenders, so I will go with the smalles tire size I can get away with, but that still looks good.

I decided to get a lift because I really would like my jeep to sit a little higher.

So any suggestions on tire and wheels would be great, This is going to be the first lift I have ever bought for myself so I am new to everything that goes with it.
    Last edited by Melissa; 05-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Chats

In the computer world people still say "That disk drive is too big, I'll never use that." I laugh because you can and will.

Now there is a such of a thing as a lift too high, but I disagree with your logic. Why would you want a rig that is limited to a certain type of road? You never know what life or nature will throw at you. Don't put yourself in the situation of wishing you had done just a little more.

Now with that said, my 4.5" lift was about 400 plus shipping (30). Later I bought leaf springs that were 200. So my 4.5" lift was really 600.

For less that 100 it might be worth getting the 3" and adding stuff to lift it further in the future. I just wonder how much you'll have to spend to get more lift out of it.

How is the rear being lifted in that kit? Shackles? You will probably have to replace those leaf springs with in a couple of years, and like I said that's 200 just for the springs.

Chats

I didn't see the link before. Do not get that lift. It uses blocks to raise the rear. Blocks will allow the leaf spring to deform and you'll damage the u-join or worse case drop the rear driveshaft.

You need add a leaf (worse) and full leaf spring replacement (best).

Chats

Then I need suggestions on what lifts kits I should go with as well.

Remember I am new to this so links and lots of info would really help, thanks!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast