View Poll Results: What do you think the REAL problem was?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Distributor

0 0%
  • Distributor Magnetic Pickup (Cam Position Sensor)

0 0%
  • Positive Battery cable.

0 0%
  • Poor Ground

1 25.00%
  • Cracked Spark Plug

1 25.00%
  • Crankshaft Position Sensor

0 0%
  • Coil Adapter Grounding out on block

1 25.00%
  • ECM (Computer)

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    pvt.Tadpol xj Guest

Default Debugging the FireWire 4.0KIT install - 1998 Jeep Cherokee

Hey Muddy.. I am running that same Ign. Kit on my Lerado it work's very well.But you need to make you a heat shield for your Ign. Coil..All of those Coil's that are mounted on the side of the engine block get too hot. Here's what i did I found a piece of corrugated rain gutter about 5 in wide and 4 in tall And after i installed my cowl piece onto my hood i had to remove some of that heat insulation where i cut out the hole for the cool air to flow. I wrappped that corrugated piece 2 time's with that heat Insulation and loosened the mounting brackett to the Ign. coil and slipped that heat shield right down in there and tightened everything back up. Work's like a charm! I apologize to everyone for not posting any picture's I don't have a camera and i don't have any money...

Chats

Default Re: 1998 Jeep Cherokee mpg/performance upgrade (Performance Distributors Firewire Kit

I recorded data driving in to work this morning. My "Check Engine" light came on yesterday, so after getting to work I checked the code. I had 4 of them.

P0300
    P0302
    P0304
    P0305

Basically they are all mis-fires. 302 is cylinder 2, 304 is cylinder 4 and 305 is cylinder 5. So either the cables are all starting to fail, or I have a bad rotor, rotor cap, or the head gasket is REALLY going bad!

Chats

Default Re: 1998 Jeep Cherokee mpg/performance upgrade (Performance Distributors Firewire Kit

You consider an MSD box? I will always have one on a jeep. Better spark, better burn. Might compliment the larger injectors. Also I really like the turbo city air tube. High in the engine compartment away from any water. With hood vents I dont think heat is a concern

My .02

Mike
    [SIZE="2"]97 XJ SPORT
    3" Budget lift (ZJ coils and track bar, spacers shackles)
    MSD ignition (box, coil) Accel 6mm wires
    Ford 19# injectors, 60mm TB, turbo city air tube
    Cherry bomb cat back
    oversized battery,

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinator View Post
    You consider an MSD box? I will always have one on a jeep. Better spark, better burn. Might compliment the larger injectors. Also I really like the turbo city air tube. High in the engine compartment away from any water. With hood vents I dont think heat is a concern

My .02

Mike
    No because the mpg write up I read used the Performance Distributors solution. I've seen the MSD stuff, looks nice, but frankly I really thought it was more a street racing mod. Makes sense it would work in our application as well though.

I really want a snorkle, so I hate to spend 200 for one then 400 for the other. I guess I could always switch back and forth depending on the application. Lord knows I'll be needing the mpg more than the protection against hydo-lock.

Chats

wow thanks i will have to get this for the drive to moab.{if i have the cash}
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

pvt.Tadpol xj Guest

Muddy i'm not recommending a chip but do you have a stage 1 or stage 2 tuning chip on your Xj...

Chats

Hey Mudderoy have you pulled out the silencer from your intake? I did this and did a drop in K&N filter it seemed to help a little.

http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSilencer.htm
    1993 Jeep YJ: (Project)
    1994 Jeep XJ: (Weekend wheeler and DD) 4.5" RE long arm kit, 35" KM2, 15x8" ProComp Steel wheels, Ruff Stuff Steering, 8.8 rear, 4:56s, Filthy Addictions sliders & Steering kit, Custom bumpers, Rigid Industries LED lights, Etc

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by JRW7072009 View Post
    Hey Mudderoy have you pulled out the silencer from your intake? I did this and did a drop in K&N filter it seemed to help a little.

http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSilencer.htm
    I read about this, but they don't have them in 98's, and I suspect later.

pvt.Tadpol xj Guest

You might should consider how a larger plug gap or a hotter spark plug might raise you combustion temperature's. And all that considering the higher speed's you drive Just being a friend!!!! I mean't to ask do you have a tuning chip from Jet. They claim better MPG..

Chats

I got the Auto-lite Platinum Plugs.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    I read about this, but they don't have them in 98's, and I suspect later.
    Aw yeah, I did not think of that.

I see you have a header, but what kinda of muffle are you running?
    Last edited by JRW7072009; 05-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    1993 Jeep YJ: (Project)
    1994 Jeep XJ: (Weekend wheeler and DD) 4.5" RE long arm kit, 35" KM2, 15x8" ProComp Steel wheels, Ruff Stuff Steering, 8.8 rear, 4:56s, Filthy Addictions sliders & Steering kit, Custom bumpers, Rigid Industries LED lights, Etc

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by JRW7072009 View Post
    Aw yeah, I did not think of that.

I see you have a header, but what kinda of muffle are you running?
    It is a flowmaster super 44.

Chats

I installed the Performance Distributor Firepower 4.0KIT this evening.

Everything was very straight forward. Replace the coil, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires and plugs.

I gapped the plugs to .065. Verified all connections and cranked the engine.

It started right up, and then shortly after a miss developed. The miss got worse, the "CHECK ENGINE" light came on. P1391.

I took the Autolite plugs out and re-gapped to .050, especially since the P1391 error made no sense to me.

Same issue, with the exception that the miss was bad to start with.

I started replacing things one at a time. Plugs back to the Champions and .035 gap, no change.

Rotor, no change. Distributor cap, no change. Plug wires, change! Ran smooth and no "CHECK ENGINE" light.

I have sent an e-mail to Performance Distributors with a detailed description of the problem I am having. Hopefully I will hear back from them later today (Wednesday). My assumption, and I think it is a good one, is either one or more of the plug wires is bad, or I don't have enough current running to the firepower demon coil to generate enough voltage to make it through the plug wires.

We'll see what happens next. Needless to say, I am very tired, frustrated, and disappointed. I'll add another, surprised. Researching the kit I have yet to find ANYONE else that had any issues installing this kit! Lucky me.

Chats

damnit men is your jeep mad at you that blows put everything back on it and run one of your old plug wires for now it least that get you moving
    i know my spelling and grammer are bad but dont worry its not getting any better

Chats

I called Performance Distributors today and spoke with Larry. I explained what happened and he agreed it sounded like a bad plug wire.

I told him I still had the coil on and would that be a problem. He said no, but he wouldn't run it more than a couple of weeks.

He told me to check the resistance of the plug wire. It should be 300 ohms, and I should see one (or more) that is well away from that value.

I need to find the wire(s) then call Larry back with the number of the wire(s) and he'll send me the replacement.

Disappointing that I'm not just enjoying my new ignition system, but at least that disappointment hasn't been compounded by getting the run around from the company that created the kit to start with.

...more to come...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast