Thread: Chevy Small Block Conversion

Default Chevy Small Block Conversion

I have a 1986 XJ with a weak 2.8L V6, I getting ready to start my build this week. I have purchased a rough country 6.5 in long arm kit,"waiting on the control arms acourse!" I have bought Mickey Thompson baja claws in 35 12.50xR15.
    Now I need something that can power that platforme! I ran acrosse a Chevy 305 out of a wrecked camaro. Does any one have some advice on how to do a chevy small block conversion painlessly. I know I need to get rid of the AX 5 transmission. Should a guy just replace every thing or go the adapter route. I am trying to do this build on a budget, so I am trying to swap, trade, and barter as much as I can. I want the most bang for my buck.

Default Re: Chevy Small Block Conversion

There is no such thing as a Painless V8 conversion into an 86. The first issue is that the radiator sits too far back and you will need to change over to the 4.0 hood and latches etc. and you will need fabrication skills for that alone. New custom radiator too and custom fans etc. And the list goes on. The best conversion to use is the Camaro 3.4L. It is a bolt in and gets you 160 hp in the right years