Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project HUM WEE

Chats

Default Project HUM WEE

Abovetimberline came out today and we moved Hum Wee into the shop. It has its own little niche separate from all those big bad Jeeps. Work will commence on it in short increments until we get to the really hard part, the engine and tranny. That will be the expensive part.

Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 09-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Project HUM WEE

Awww isn't the little guy cute?

I am very interested to see this thing come to life.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

It is a very fun little thing to drive. As you can see, it is aluminum and very light. Also wide and stable with fully independent suspension. Not a bad word here.

Chats

Went to the other forum and saw SoilantGreen's M422A1 write on up on these. I'm just sort of getting into the history behind some of these vehicles many I didn't know existed. Its to bad they're so darn expensive a SCAT V4 would probably come close to fitting one of these. I think your project will be cool as heck. I'll admit I had to look up to see what the heck this thing was. Pretty cool suspension too with the quarter elliptical springs and trailing arms. Looking forward to watching this one... Question, are you going to cut the toyo axles short like these and use the same sort of axle arrangement?

Regards,

Don

Chats

Yes, I will cut down the Toy axles. I have some jigs I welded up for that purpose and have rearranged the pumpkin in a front end I have now. I will have a front and rear Toy 8.25 about 14" wide. The original Dana 27 will lot take the horsepower of the Subaru. Plus, you can't buy new stuff from Dana for the 27 any more, such as the power locks that came in it or the clutches if they wear out. It will just be better to update the whole thing. Driving these things is a kick. They corner like a sports car and follow the road exactly with no rebound on the suspension even without shocks. However, they soak up the bumps better than an old Caddie.

Chats

Looks very cool, cant wait to see what you do with it.
    1993 Jeep YJ: (Project)
    1994 Jeep XJ: (Weekend wheeler and DD) 4.5" RE long arm kit, 35" KM2, 15x8" ProComp Steel wheels, Ruff Stuff Steering, 8.8 rear, 4:56s, Filthy Addictions sliders & Steering kit, Custom bumpers, Rigid Industries LED lights, Etc

Chats

The first thing I am going to do is put the springs back on it. I had them off to transport it down from WA state because it sits lower with them off. I seem to be missing one as well as a can of hardware. Most distressing. I may have to make some stuff up from scratch

Chats

I was looking at some pictures of that chassis. Its hard to tell from the photo, but are they truly quarter elliptical or they like a full length spring that has a shackel up front, solidly mounted to the frame in the middle and the end is connected to the trailing arm/stub axle (for lack of what its really called)? Here is the picture I was looking at:

Thanks, Regards,

Don
    Last edited by Rev D; 03-21-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Chats

Truly 1/4 elliptical. The pic above looks like the M422, the short version of the M422A1 so it is hard to tell because the springs pass each other. On the longer version that I have, the spring ends only go past each other about an inch.

Chats

Very interesting.
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

Chats

that thing looks pretty cool seems like you have plenty of projects going on

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by nismo5 View Post
    that thing looks pretty cool seems like you have plenty of projects going on
    Too many for my own good. I have an 84 Toy pickup and a Samurai too

Chats

Cool, that makes sense. Appreciate the reply. Thats gonna be such a neat project. Thanks again.

Regards,

Don

Chats

Had a lousy day today,:brickwall: so I needed some mental health time. I decided to crawl under the Mighty Mite since I had other stuff in the shop and couldn't pull the jeep in. Hum Wee didn't have its spring on when I brought it down from WA state so I gathered up the stuff and went to work.

Took the front wheel off. This is what the front hub looks like.

If this looks a little fragile, it is. I broke that special bolt in the center once and lost the wheel and hub going around a corner. I am going to change this, just don't know exactly what yet.

Theses are the rear springs. One is disassembled, You will notice if you look closely that the center of the leaves are hollow. This used to be a standard design on military steel to help them flex more. You can't buy spring steel with that design any more.

The front arms came apart kind of hard. I had to beat the mounting caps off. There is a few years of mud and rust in them. Surprisingly the teflon liners were in relatively good shape in spite of the mud.

My first improvement. Tapping the mounting caps for grease fittings to keep them from getting too much crud in them again.

Here is the first spring on the left front and ready to rock.
    Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 09-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Chats

I got the other front spring on today and added grease fittings to the pivot bracket. The front stands on its own without stands now. It sits pretty high without an engine in it.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast