Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 125
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    689
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    I was brought up going to church, and actually enjoyed summer Bible school at our church, but....

    In my adult life I have had things happen to me AND my family that began to make me question what I had been taught. A perfect example is the story of Job. Job got caught in the middle of a pissing contest between God and satan. Satan said he (Job) will deny you, God said no he won't. So God told satan, you can do ANYTHING to him EXCEPT kill him. Now, as a father what would happen to me if I told someone that about MY son/daughter? I'd be locked up! But the religious give God a pass on that one. Granted God "rewarded" Job after everything... basicly giving him a BUNCH of new stuff, but NOWHERE does it say/show God had ANY remorse for putting Job thru all that. Some "father" huh? Maybe Job got a really neat cool place to go when he died?

    I've been thru ALOT in the past few years, and was VERY angry at God! I began to soften my anger, and simply pray for assistance in helping me to deal with it. NOT for Him to solve it, just help me. After 5 years of praying I received NOTHING, zip zero nadda. So, as I said in my first post, I gave up on the God thing. I found there is nothing to it except a "promise" of a cool place to live IF you toe the mark. Apparently He get's his kicks playing games with your life.

    Damn, I said I wasn't going to go into my religious experiences...but there 'ya go. Why I am like I am.
    2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP242....

    " the ONLY reason you're still conscious is I DON'T want to have to carry you!"
    ......Jack Bauer

  2. #17
    TeXJ's Avatar
    TeXJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,467
    Chats
    174

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    these past few years have been really tough for me. It really makes you wonder if he is there, just playing games with you or what?! To me there are parts of the bible that have been taken away, twisted, and well, basically not what it originally started out to say. However, there are things that I know, and those basic beliefs are what bring me through the hard times. If we are to believe that this time on earth is a test to see if we can over come the "flesh" and be better than what Satan wants us to be than we are progressing.

    On a side note, I really enjoy talking about religion and people's experiences. I also know that arguing will get you now where.
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

    1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Mirage, AZ
    Posts
    57
    Chats
    9

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    No Religion, but very spiritual!

    "Keep Coming Back, It Works If You Work It"!!!
    Jim- XJ Addict

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,279
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I was brought up going to church, and actually enjoyed summer Bible school at our church, but....

    In my adult life I have had things happen to me AND my family that began to make me question what I had been taught. A perfect example is the story of Job. Job got caught in the middle of a pissing contest between God and satan. Satan said he (Job) will deny you, God said no he won't. So God told satan, you can do ANYTHING to him EXCEPT kill him. Now, as a father what would happen to me if I told someone that about MY son/daughter? I'd be locked up! But the religious give God a pass on that one. Granted God "rewarded" Job after everything... basicly giving him a BUNCH of new stuff, but NOWHERE does it say/show God had ANY remorse for putting Job thru all that. Some "father" huh? Maybe Job got a really neat cool place to go when he died?

    I've been thru ALOT in the past few years, and was VERY angry at God! I began to soften my anger, and simply pray for assistance in helping me to deal with it. NOT for Him to solve it, just help me. After 5 years of praying I received NOTHING, zip zero nadda. So, as I said in my first post, I gave up on the God thing. I found there is nothing to it except a "promise" of a cool place to live IF you toe the mark. Apparently He get's his kicks playing games with your life.

    Damn, I said I wasn't going to go into my religious experiences...but there 'ya go. Why I am like I am.
    Hey I'm glad you did! It reminds me of something that happened to me. My ex-wife and I split up. We had two very young boys that did, and do, mean the world to me. I was really torn up not being able to be there with them day to day to raise and enjoy them. A very good friend of mine was trying to help me and he brought up the story of Job. I listened and felt better. Later I got the Bible out and read about Job.

    I couldn't believe that God allowed this to happen, but hey he's God, right? He knows better than me, or Job. I was fine until I read that Job's children (and wife I think) were all killed, but later he got a new wife and had more kids. WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?! I didn't want NEW kids! I certainly didn't want to go through the additional grief of losing them!

    Here's what happened though. I met a beautiful woman, we had 2 beautiful girls, and we've been married for 17 years. Seldom to we have a fight and most of the time we're like two kids laughing and playing together.

    I never knew just how wonderful a relationship could really be. And the really amazing thing is, and we both remind each other about this all the time, is she had a horrible relationship as well. Her's a little different from mine. We both agree that if we hadn't have gone through all that we did we wouldn't appreciate each other as much.

    When bad things happen in life people will say "It's OK, something better will come along/happen." When my wife said this to me when I was out of work some years back, I told her that someone was saying that in the Nazi camps, and perhaps even as they were being marched to the ovens. So no that isn't always true. That's that logical, technical part I was speaking of before.

    I cannot believe when horrible horrible things happen. I cannot understand why a God that loves us would allow such a thing. I certainly would not allow my 3 year old child to play in the street!

    The way I handle this inconsistencies is this. God must know something we don't. He must know that the suffering has a purpose and that in the big scheme of things our life here is only a minor part of our true life.

    Besides I don't think God does anything to us, I really don't think he interferes. I think that would go against the whole free will concept.

    I find that really funny that you would bring up Job. I really didn't see ANYTHING positive or good about that story, and I still think it's funny that my friend used it to make me feel better.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post

    I find that really funny that you would bring up Job. I really didn't see ANYTHING positive or good about that story, and I still think it's funny that my friend used it to make me feel better.
    I wasn't going to get involved in this because it generally just breads arguments. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

    This story of Job does have some positive things, as well as some good lessons and a few explanations that are valuable for us. It is a little tedious at times, but in the big picture it comes out OK.

    First thing is that bad things happen to good people. We blame God for lots of things that are just not his fault.

    Second, God is not a candy man that gives you everything just because you ask for it. You get what you need.

    Third, God does it all in his good time. We want it now. However patience is not one of our virtues. Remember, he works out everything for everyone, even non believers. Now that is a juggling act.

    Fourth. When bad things do happen, it gives us time to reflect and make adjustments. It keeps us from getting spoiled and uncaring.

    Hope this helps.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    689
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    I wasn't going to get involved in this because it generally just breads arguments. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

    This story of Job does have some positive things, as well as some good lessons and a few explanations that are valuable for us. It is a little tedious at times, but in the big picture it comes out OK.

    First thing is that bad things happen to good people. We blame God for lots of things that are just not his fault.

    Second, God is not a candy man that gives you everything just because you ask for it. You get what you need.

    Third, God does it all in his good time. We want it now. However patience is not one of our virtues. Remember, he works out everything for everyone, even non believers. Now that is a juggling act.

    Fourth. When bad things do happen, it gives us time to reflect and make adjustments. It keeps us from getting spoiled and uncaring.

    Hope this helps.
    No, I assure everyone starting an argument is not what I want, and I respect all beliefs/opinions. I guess I just removed my "rose colored" glasses and saw what God is, NOT what I was taught.

    As far as Job is concerned, his family was destroyed... taken from him. For what end, so God could win an argument? It shows me human life is worthless to Him, we are just playthings for His amusement. I just can't see how everything "worked out" in the end?

    1. We can't "blame" God. If that is so, why do people thank Him? How can it not be both ways? Why should I thank Him for the food, when it was ME who went out and worked to earn the money to buy it in the first place? I'm expected to thank Him for all the "good" stuff, but hey.... "don't blame Me when things go wrong, and don't expect Me to be around when you need me"! Seem"s kinda like a copout to me.

    2. I don't/didn't expect Him to solve my problems, just help me deal with them and move on. It does say, " ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find. And I'm not talking about fame/fortune, etc.... just to know He is there. Well I received nothing, and I found nothing. As I have argued with my wife LOT'S of times... there HAS to be a tangeible benefit to following God, or ANY "supreme being". I have not found any, and say it amounts to a promise of a neat place to live when you die, NOTHING else.

    3. Not necessarly now, but within my lifetime would be nice. After that it would serve no purpose.

    4. When bad things happen it can make us bitter and angry. Especially when we've been taught that God is a loving God that cares for us, and in a time of need He is nowhere to be found. And if He is there and we cannot sense it, again it serves no purpose.

    I guess it comes down to, how many poor shmucks out there will go to hell because God is to high and mighty to come down to their level and simply let them know he's there. People followed Hitler with blind unfounded faith, look where they ended up.
    Last edited by firehawk; 01-15-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP242....

    " the ONLY reason you're still conscious is I DON'T want to have to carry you!"
    ......Jack Bauer

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post

    I guess it comes down to, how many poor shmucks out there will go to hell because God is to high and mighty to come down to their level and simply let them know he's there. People followed Hitler with blind unfounded faith, look where they ended up.
    He did come down. Remember Jesus? He became like us remember?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    689
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    I wasn't around 2000 years ago.

    Besides, I've seen IMO that the "seek and ye shall find, ask and ye shall receive" part to be false so is there ANY part of the Bible that can be believed? Did he come down here, or is it just a good story that King James had put in there? Besides, He spoke to Saul, David, Moses, Joshua, et al, why not me/you, anyone today?

    I know people that claim to have felt God's presence/guidance. I call them the lucky one's. The rest of us are just left to fend for ourselves. Also, if this is how He wants to treat me here on earth, WHY would I want to spend eternity with Him? Would he ignore me there too?

    As you can see, I have MAJOR issues with "God".
    2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP242....

    " the ONLY reason you're still conscious is I DON'T want to have to carry you!"
    ......Jack Bauer

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post

    As you can see, I have MAJOR issues with "God".
    Yes, I can tell. All I can say is that I wasn't always one of the blessed ones as you put it. I had to get over some issues too. Tell you what. Spend some time in a Bible every day and see what happens. That is how I found Him.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    689
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Yes, I can tell. All I can say is that I wasn't always one of the blessed ones as you put it. I had to get over some issues too. Tell you what. Spend some time in a Bible every day and see what happens. That is how I found Him.
    Well after chasing after HIM for the better part of a decade, and finding nothing, I'm through. If/when He decides HE'S ready to "talk" to me, I guess He knows where to find me.
    2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP242....

    " the ONLY reason you're still conscious is I DON'T want to have to carry you!"
    ......Jack Bauer

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,279
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Well after chasing after HIM for the better part of a decade, and finding nothing, I'm through. If/when He decides HE'S ready to "talk" to me, I guess He knows where to find me.
    Hey I understand. It's like most things. No one can convince you, you need to do what you think is best. My wife and I had a big discussion about church the other day. She thinks that we should respect people more that volunteer for church duties. I disagree. I think everyone should be respected, until they do something that isn't respectable. No matter WHO they are.

    Her way of thinking isn't bad, that's just her. The thing that scares me about that line of thought is how some people don't question, sometimes don't even think about what their religious leader(s) are telling them. Jim Jones comes to mind.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Hey I understand. It's like most things. No one can convince you, you need to do what you think is best. My wife and I had a big discussion about church the other day. She thinks that we should respect people more that volunteer for church duties. I disagree. I think everyone should be respected, until they do something that isn't respectable. No matter WHO they are.

    I agree with you. It keeps people from thinking they are elite depending on position. It is called church politics.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    689
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Anyone here read the book "The Shack"? THAT is what it would take for me to even consider accepting any of it again.
    2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP242....

    " the ONLY reason you're still conscious is I DON'T want to have to carry you!"
    ......Jack Bauer

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    8
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Hi i m catholic and i going to polish church from time to time .

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: what religion are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Anyone here read the book "The Shack"? THAT is what it would take for me to even consider accepting any of it again.
    No I have not. What is it about?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
  2. Religion?
    By Mudderoy in forum Jokes!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •