Thread: Thermostat suggestions?

Default Thermostat suggestions?

I'm replacing my Radiator from a stock unit to a 3 core aluminum rad. I'm figuring that while I've got the space I'll replace my thermostat. I've read lots about guys using the 180 degree thermostats but I don't want to mess with the computer and screw around with my fuel mixture. So I'm looking for a solid 195 degree thermostat to drop in. I'm not having too much luck looking around on-line and I'd at least prefer to know a bit before heading in to a Autozone or a Pepboys.

Any Suggestions out there? Links would also be appreciated

Also, it looks like a lot of people change out the thermostat housing when they change the thermostat. I've seen posts regarding aftermarket housings. Any advice, experience or opinions on those would be appreciated

* The Jeep has 183,000 miles but I plan on running it forever (I do repairs like it has 10K)

Default Re: Thermostat suggestions?

I would also appreciate any advice on Gaskets. Which to use, any that I should avoid...

pvt.Tadpol xj Guest

Hey this will help you have your three core Rad...Make sure you get a good anti-freeze water mix. There is a good balance and a bad balance.. keep your cooling system tight no leak's. Iwould get a 195-degree thermo from chrysler. These Xj's are designed to run around 210 anyway. But i like to keep mine a little cooler than that...

I personally went with a high flow 195 degree thermo and a high flow thermo housing. I also have a FlowKooler high flow water pump. My 3-row radiator is just all metal, not aluminum.

Some people are purists about using paper gaskets. But I have used RTV silicone rubber for years with good results. You can use it and fill and start within a few minutes. The RTV part means that it cures in the presence of moisture, just like PVC cement for plumbing which is a good combination for cooling systems.