Thread: Re- Blacking Fender Flares (Help)

Default Re- Blacking Fender Flares (Help)

Hey guys, new to the Jeep world, bought a 2003 Wrangler recently, and I’m doing some small cosmetic fixes. Can some one please help me and teach me on how to re black my fender flares on my Jeep. They are chipping a little, looks chalky I guess . Some places are faded . I’ve read all kinds of stuff on the internet but I need someone to walk me through the best way to re do these . Thanks . I’ll
    Post a pic so you guys understand .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	14728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0874.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	14729

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Re- Blacking Fender Flares (Help)

I know I talked to you via PM but figured I'd post this here for future reference. Short of buying all new plastic there are no awesome solutions.

The one I would go with is rattle can paint. You need stuff specifically for painting plastic. You can get it any big box store out there. Prep it, spray it with primer then paint it whatever color you want. On a previous XJ I went with desert tan on my fender flares, wipers and corner bumpers. It won't look perfect but it will be presentable.

You can use cleaning chemicals that darken the plastic back but they will need to be reapplied often, how often depends on a bunch of factors but expect it to be once a week to once a month depending on if you have a garage or not, and the quality of the product use.

The "best" solution as far as how it looks is to somehow source a set of new plastics which will probably be pretty expensive, I'm not even sure if they still make replacement flares and what not. You could always go aftermarket but again, that will be expensive. The painting option will be 40-60 dollars probably.
    1995 XJ / 4.0L / AW4 / D30 w/No-Slip Locker / C8.25 / UPCOUNTRY spec suspension / 235/75R15

I appreciate all the advice and input. I plan on giving it a shot today so I will see what happens. I’ve done some research on proper paint for it . I’ll for sure take a a before and after picture of it to show the difference . I hope that this project turns out to be simple success. In all reality, the front ones are great . I’ve been putting back to black on the front Flares and they have held up nice. But like you said , I’m just going to clean the surfaces well, prep the area nice and neat , and get some high grade primer and paint to put on. Will deff. Post then result on this . Thank you for all your help. I’m sure I will be reaching out more for advice .

UPDATE:

So , I so happened to have found this stuff in a bucket this morning , looks like it has been there for a while. Anyways, out of all the plastic polish products or blackening products I have used in the past 10 years , this Meguiars mirror glaze professional clear plastic polish has got to be the best one. I coated one flare with mother’s back to black and then I coated the other flare with this stuff. It’s a night and day difference in quality. Just wanted to inform you guys but I imagine some of you already know. This stuff rocks!

Thanks
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff