Thread: Putting ' 98 4.0 motor tranny transfer case in '99 jeep cherokee laredo

Default Putting ' 98 4.0 motor tranny transfer case in '99 jeep cherokee laredo

Hope everyone has a safe Happy New Year.
    Need some professional help on this one.
    Basically, this is what I am attempting to do;

I would like to take my motor tranny and transfer case out of my vehicle which is a '98 jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 4WD and put it in a '99 jeep Cherokee Laredo which does not have a motor or transmission. The '99 Laredo did have the 4.0 in it though.

The '99 jeep Cherokee Laredo{VIN 1J4(Gor6)W58S5XC600435} is for sale for 600.00, I left the guy a deposit and told him that I needed to check a few things first to see what all I would have to do to do the swap.
    The guy said he would let me have the transfer case that came out of the 99 jeep Cherokee Laredo also.

I noticed that the consoles are a little different in the two vehicles. On my '98 jeep Cherokee the handle for putting it in 4WD is off to side a little.

Can someone tell me what specifically I would need to do/adapt/change/get in order for my engine, transmission and transfer case to work in the newer vehicle.

The reason I am doing this is because the undercarriage of my Cherokee is ate up with rust. The newer vehicle is rust free, clean and garage kept. I am willing to go the extra yard if its worth doing the job.

I rebuilt the motor in my '98 a couple of years ago. It has about 100k on it. Swapping the motor and transmission in is cake just concerned about the wiring harness issue,etc.

I would appreciate all suggestions, specific procedures on how to do this.

Thanks,
    Robert

Default Re: Putting ' 98 4.0 motor tranny transfer case in '99 jeep cherokee laredo

Shouldn't have any issues. Should be a direct bolt in. The ebrake handle location is minor and don't worry about it. Be sure to use the 98 ECU
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Default Re: Putting ' 98 4.0 motor tranny transfer case in '99 jeep cherokee laredo

Thanks for the quick reply
    "Be sure to use the 98 ECU".
    Will the wiring harness from the '99 Laredo plug directly into the '98 ECU? Do I just unplug the ECU from my '98 and plug directly into the '99?

That's related to my next question which is, Will all the wiring harnesses for things like the transmission, transfer case from the '99 plug/connect to the transmission, transfer case that I am going to put in. Will the linkage in the '99 bolt up to the transmission /transfer case from my '98.
    Sorry to be a bit anal on this. Just don't want to have be half way through the job and realize this connector doesn't fit or this rod is to short. I just don't want any surprises

The plug for the transfer case might be different depending on what case was in the 99. There is a good chance the harness will fit the 98. 2000 is the break on that since they had 4 O2 sensors
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Ok,
    He did say I could take the transfer case that came out of the '99.

No reason you shouldn't then
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers