Thread: Front End Binding/Popping

Default Front End Binding/Popping

Well as some of you guys have seen me talking about in other folks threads, my XJ has randomly developed a binding/popping in the front end. After doing some research it seems that is a common occurrence as far as the popping with the lunch box style lockers. I've never had an issue since the gears/lockers got installed, it just randomly started doing this.. It sort of seems to have gotten worse, or at least happening more frequently. I'm just checking in with our folks here that have far more knowledge than I.. to see if you guys think that maybe my TC being low on fluid would allow the front axle to sort of engage causing this to happen?? I'm only asking because when I got under the XJ last week to take a look at things and to measure up for swapping the holy factory muffler for a FM Super 44 I already have, I noticed it looked like the TC has been leaking a bit... I guess something I'm wondering is if anyone here knows if I can pull the front DS and run it that way to see if it is my TC causing the issues or the locker acting up (or possibly even the gears)?? Or would disconnecting the front DS cause the front locker to lock up freely whenever it feels like it??
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Default Re: Front End Binding/Popping

Yes, you can pull the front driveshaft and have no ill effects. Also I would suggest running power punch gear additive in the gear oil in the diff. It makes a difference.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Alright thanks.. Like I said, I know normally it wouldn't cause any issues to pull the front shaft.. just wasn't sure with the lunchbox style lockers if it would cause it to lock up or not... I'll have to look into the gear oil additive once I figure out what is going on... I'm running Royal Purple in there right now... so wouldn't think should have any issues as far as oil causing aways... but you never know... Hoping to figure out what it is fairly quickly.. and hopefully won't be a crazy expensive repair...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

The only way the lunchbox should lock up is if torque is being applied though the driveshaft and pinion gear. ANy other time it should stay open. Depending on model of lunchbox and manufacturing variances (both on the Jeep's axle and the lunchbox locker itself) some can be noiser than others. I've ran Lock Rights in 2 Jeeps and am currently running a No Slip all in Dana 30s. The lock rights were for sure noisier than the No Slip, I can't even tell the no slip is in there unless I've got the windows down and listen very closely for it. The lock rights ratcheted and popped quite often but nothing major, and in really tight parking lot maneuvers you could feel some feed back though the steering wheel to go along with the noise.
    Last edited by downsy; 11-26-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    1995 XJ / 4.0L / AW4 / D30 w/No-Slip Locker / C8.25 / UPCOUNTRY spec suspension / 235/75R15