Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Oil Cooler

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Angry Oil Cooler

    As many of you may know I've had issues with my 98 running hot on the highway.

    Minimal cooling capacity of the radiator given the surface area, along with no air damn, a much heavier Cherokee and lets not forget the 4.56 gears on 33" tires have all been part of the cause.

    I believe this because of all the crap I've done to try to fix the problem for many years.

    I honestly thought the problem was solved until a recent trip to Central Texas. On the trail I had NO issues with the cooling system, but on the way up and back "highway speeds" it really heated up.

    Time to get outside the box, or at least the box I've been playing in.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180727_190017.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	14574

    I've thought about doing this before, but I hate the idea of having the life blood of the engine OUTSIDE the engine.

    I'm going with this plate, and metal braided hoses (on order). I have not selected the cooler (mini radiator) yet. As I need to do some measurements on my Jeep.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,594
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    The stainless steel braided hose is pretty tough. Been running mine now for 10 years and no leaks. However, one thing I would recommend is going to the Taurus 2 speed electric fan and get rid of that clutch fan. The mechanical pulls 1700 cfm. The Taurus fan pulls 3800 cfm. Guaranteed running cool on trails and traffic.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    The stainless steel braided hose is pretty tough. Been running mine now for 10 years and no leaks. However, one thing I would recommend is going to the Taurus 2 speed electric fan and get rid of that clutch fan. The mechanical pulls 1700 cfm. The Taurus fan pulls 3800 cfm. Guaranteed running cool on trails and traffic.
    I thought fans were not needed when going 40 mph or more. How would more CFM from the fan help me with over heating at highway speeds?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,594
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    You have a winch there and lights IIRC. The fan will make up the difference. But mostly though the fan helps at lower speeds. You said you had trouble there also. On the trail, the electric fan is as slick as greased owl poop
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    You have a winch there and lights IIRC. The fan will make up the difference. But mostly though the fan helps at lower speeds. You said you had trouble there also. On the trail, the electric fan is as slick as greased owl poop
    I do not have trouble at lower speeds, it cools down between 20 and 40 mph on even the hottest days. It may have been true in the past, don't remember, but on the trail recently there was no issue at all riding the trails for a couple of hours.

  6. #6
    Pookapotamus's Avatar
    Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,693
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    tony I doubt, that an oil cooler is going to help much, but that being said it is not going to hurt at all and your engine will be happier too, but really you should not be over heating on the highway, if steve is right and you have a lot in front of your rad, that could really affect the cooling, do you have air conditioning? is the condenser in front of the rad in good shape? blocked?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookapotamus View Post
    tony I doubt, that an oil cooler is going to help much, but that being said it is not going to hurt at all and your engine will be happier too, but really you should not be over heating on the highway, if steve is right and you have a lot in front of your rad, that could really affect the cooling, do you have air conditioning? is the condenser in front of the rad in good shape? blocked?
    Yep I read it is good for the oil, if nothing else, so I figure also, it won't hurt.

    I had been thinking about doing this from a bit back, but after reading this I decided to give it a try.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	14575

  8. #8
    Pookapotamus's Avatar
    Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,693
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    any cooling will help, like i said its not going to hurt! i say do it! i have one sitting on the bench at home and just have not installed it, although with my 8 liter oil capacity with the dual ph8a's adding an oil cooler is going to up that to 9 liters!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookapotamus View Post
    any cooling will help, like i said its not going to hurt! i say do it! i have one sitting on the bench at home and just have not installed it, although with my 8 liter oil capacity with the dual ph8a's adding an oil cooler is going to up that to 9 liters!
    lol that's a lot of oil You might be able to qualify as a mid flight oil tanker for leaky Jeeps!

  10. #10
    Pookapotamus's Avatar
    Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,693
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    ya thats one reason i have not done it! its getting a bit out of hand!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Well all the parts are in with the exception of the cooler (radiator). Now I'm torn between finding the max size I can fit and how many BTU's of cooling will be enough to help. I just know I'm going to get it tooo small.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kemah Tx.
    Posts
    1,674
    Chats
    12334

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Why not use the aux cooler for the trans fluid? That will do away with the trans cooler in the radiator and take alot of heat away from the radiator. My son's xj was a standard with no need for a radiator fluid cooler. It never got over 189 deg
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

    97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeXJ View Post
    Why not use the aux cooler for the trans fluid? That will do away with the trans cooler in the radiator and take alot of heat away from the radiator. My son's xj was a standard with no need for a radiator fluid cooler. It never got over 189 deg
    Took the AW4 off the radiator long ago, it has it's own B&M cooler.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kemah Tx.
    Posts
    1,674
    Chats
    12334

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Took the AW4 off the radiator long ago, it has it's own B&M cooler.
    Just a thought
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

    97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,228
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Oil Cooler

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeXJ View Post
    Just a thought
    It was a good one, but one of many things tried and didn't resolve the issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Engine oil cooler
    By tiny4321 in forum Modified
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
  2. Transmission oil cooler
    By OGCollard in forum General Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-31-2016, 10:23 PM
  3. Trans cooler
    By Jarlaxle in forum Modified
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
  4. Oil cooler
    By tiny43 in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
  5. Oil Cooler
    By Mudderoy in forum Modified
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •