Chats

Icon5 Holley Carburetor on a Jeep?

While I was getting my locker installed I had a conversation with a guy "visiting the shop I was at". He's big into Holley carburetors. I told him I was too 30 years ago.

It was my impression that no one in the Jeep world uses carburetors any longer. It's all fuel injected, well unless it's a 70s/80s CJ.

Now I know some stuff about Jeeps but most of my hands on knowledge is my 1998 Jeep, and the newer Jeeps at my house.

Do Jeepers have a need for carburetors?

Chats

Default Re: Holley Carburetor on a Jeep?

IMO no I had problems with my carb. on my CJ running out of gas when it was not on flat ground. Altho it could have been a float problem.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Chats

I suppose they do if they don't understand or can't afford fuel injection. One thing you have to do with them is make the "off road" version. The breather for the fuel bowl needs a J shaped tube on it to keep raw fuel from going down the throat when climbing a steep hill
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Yep I mentioned to him that fuel injection was superior when at steep angles. He mentioned something about mods that could be done to the carb to "help" that. Steve you were the only one that I could think of that MIGHT be running a carburetor. Anyway, I told him I'd check here on the site to be sure. Maybe what I thought I knew was wrong. I loved my Holley 650 on my Chevy 327 in my Nova, but I was 18 waaaaaaay back then.

BTW, Greg, I shot that AR15 you sold me for the first time yesterday. Holosite was dead, green laser was dead, never sited in the iron sites, couldn't hit the paper, lol. So next time...

Chats

It was not shot much I never sighted it in just played with the slide fire. I guess the optic batteries went dead.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Yep I mentioned to him that fuel injection was superior when at steep angles. He mentioned something about mods that could be done to the carb to "help" that. Steve you were the only one that I could think of that MIGHT be running a carburetor. Anyway, I told him I'd check here on the site to be sure. Maybe what I thought I knew was wrong. I loved my Holley 650 on my Chevy 327 in my Nova, but I was 18 waaaaaaay back
    I have used a Holley 390 cfm on my V6 in my CJ5. That is where my experience comes from. The Holley was designed for flat ground. The tube trick was later adopted by Holley for their "off road" carb. Once that is done, good carb
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Okay, seems like the info I had in my head was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    I have used a Holley 390 cfm on my V6 in my CJ5. That is where my experience comes from. The Holley was designed for flat ground. The tube trick was later adopted by Holley for their "off road" carb. Once that is done, good carb

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeXJ View Post
    It was not shot much I never sighted it in just played with the slide fire. I guess the optic batteries went dead.
    Well I change the batteries recently and just got the green laser so I was surprised they were both dead. I bore sited both of them. I didn't bore site the flip up iron sites though. No big deal, we'll go again and just shoot the AR15. I was happy it fired at all. I've had it apart and back together, my first AR15, so having it work was great.

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

off road and carbs don't mix. Ole boy needs to step into the 21st century
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)