Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Jeep Talk Show "Texas" Wheeling Event

I do need to figure out why it's so hard to get out of 4 hi and into 4 low. I have to turn the engine off to get it into 4 low, and that's after I've come to a stop and put the trans in neutral. I even tried it moving. No go.

Chats

I had that same sort of problem getting into gear. The problem I think is that those synchros are just too darn big. The brass weighs about 1/2 lb apiece. I took mine out and it is so much easier to get into gear. Granted you have to remove pressure on the gear train to get out, but overall I am much happier with the synchros out.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Just thinking about this a little. There is a technique to shifting the Atlas. The first is to get it out of 4WD in either range. Simply accelerate and pull on the front axle lever and let off the gas. It will slip out. Then to get it out of low or high range, do the same thing for the rear axle lever. Then shift into neutral and push or pull on the rear axle lever until it goes in. Then shift the front axle in by engaging the lever while accelerating or decelerating. And don't be afraid to put some pressure on it
    Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 07-19-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Just thinking about this a little. There is a technique to shifting the Atlas. The first is to get it out of 4WD in either range. Simply accelerate and pull on the front axle lever and let off the gas. It will slip out. Then to get it out of low or high range, do the same thing for the rear axle lever. Then shift into neutral and push or pull on the rear axle lever until it goes in. Then shift the front axle in by engaging the lever while accelerating or decelerating. And don't be afraid to put some pressure on it
    I'll have to try that, I was doing it the worn fork pad NP242 way. Get down to about 20 mph, put it in neutral and shift it out the front axle

Chats

I had a very similar problem when I was having a linkage issues. I had to rock the jeep forward and backward with the rig in neutral, to shift into 4L. It was almost like the there was some kind of binding in the drive train. Have you contacted AA about this issue? They might be able to offer some insight on why it is hanging up. I would like to believe that a beefed up atlas with planetary gears should be shifted on the fly with little to no binding. Im not a drive line expert by any means, just trying to ask questions while I learn and hopefully help you figure this out.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayssideways View Post
    I had a very similar problem when I was having a linkage issues. I had to rock the jeep forward and backward with the rig in neutral, to shift into 4L. It was almost like the there was some kind of binding in the drive train. Have you contacted AA about this issue? They might be able to offer some insight on why it is hanging up. I would like to believe that a beefed up atlas with planetary gears should be shifted on the fly with little to no binding. Im not a drive line expert by any means, just trying to ask questions while I learn and hopefully help you figure this out.
    I have not contacted them yet. I wanted to go over the shifting procedure again. I may be missing something.

Binding I have to agree with. I was able to force the front axle out but you could feel something release energy when it did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12