Thread: The woes of selling a jeep.

Default The woes of selling a jeep.

First off this is a rant/ vent after a bad morning.
    Little back story
    Just before fourth of July I bought a new to me jeep xj. I used some savings to pay for it. I already had a xj. Hadn't been driving it since it needed some work. The new jeep needed a few things which I took from my older xj. Fuel pump and wiper motor and linkage. Is all it needed but I removed my k&n intake, steering box brace, electric fan and oil catch can as well as the rear tj flares I had on it and front custom bumper. As I wanted these items for the newer xj and wanted to keep cost down since like everyone else is on a budget. At least till I win the lottery. Lol

So after that I put my older jeep for sale since its a will help recoup most of the savings I used. I have posted it up for sale on Craigslist, offerup, had a friend post it to facebook since I don't do that book of faces thing. I had it up for around 1000. Listed it as a wheeler project. Listed all the pros of it and all the cons. Trying to to be straight forward and transparent.Then dropped it to 950. Got an offer of 500 (lowball) I asked 800? No answer no haggling. Time goes by drop it to 850. Nothing so dropped it to 750. Get a response for 650. Asked if they could do 700 since I just dropped it down from 850. They couldn't since they had to rent a trailer. Had some other offers sort of. One kid offered a shotgun and an x-box one. And one guy wanted but didn't read my ad. And didn't realize he couldn't drive it home and needed some work.

So then yesterday I post it to letgo another saleing app like offerup. Posted it for the current price of 750. It got all sorts of interest 5 people asked about it. I responded. Nothing till this morning.

And now to my rant. Well one kid gave me an offer of 650. I said no thanks instead maybe haggling. The kid insults me. And says come on dude its a hunk of s**t. Which didn't settle with me at all. I told him he could go have fun with himself (just not as nice as I'm writing here) you p.o.s. and that he has no idea of what is all done to it. And why did he offer money for it if he thinks its a hunk of s**t?. He replies with how about I give him my address so he can beat my a** and steal my jeep. To build it better. I could have went back down to this kids level but instead I reported him and blocked him.

I know its not a nice gloss paint xj that you see at the mall or on the trail. It was a cheap 13 rattle can camo jobs after seeing five red lifted xjs in 20 minutes on a walk to the parts store (its was red). I've had this xj for 5 year daily driven it for most of it and had good times wheeling it with friends and my girlfriend. Even let her drive it which I regret since I had to lift her zj after words. It has even won a cherokee of the month last year on another forum I'm on.

But insulting a person because they refused your offer that you gave for their jeep they are selling is disrespectful. This isn't facebook where all the trolls and know it alls hang out. ( one reason for not being on facebook). I think 700-750 is a fair price for what this xj is and could be with a little work. I seen the potential in it when I first bought it. Which it needed work then. People aren't going to hand you thing cause you insult them. It pays to play. I wish I could afford to keep it. I have a son that getting closer to driving age and would like to keep it so we could go wheeling together when he is old enough and I can pass my offroad knowledge over. But I just can't right now. Well that's it I'm done my venting rant is over. Hope who ever reads this has a great day and a wonderful holiday weekend.

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: The woes of selling a jeep.

dude don't let it get to ya ....only need that one person to like and buy ....worst things out here than jeep not selling ....find out the smart ass kid had no coin anyways to pay....that's how it works with them chaps ................there loss not yours.
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

When I have sold stuff on CL and I get ridiculous offers, I just ignore them. Sold a brand new ARB for 800. Dude wanted to get me down to 600 probably just to resell it himself. Waved goodbye to him and sold it for my price later
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I know guys thanks for lifting my spirits. Just frustrating sometimes but that's the way life goes sometimes. I have couple boxes of parts I need to go through and post up since most of it was for the old jeep and the new has it or don't need it.

Yeah that is a good part of the reason I still have quite a few items that I've been wanting to list up to sell, is because I don't want to deal with people being stupid and trying to be disrespectful about stuff.. if you don't like the item or the price, then f**k off and move on to something you do like or want.. Never makes sense to me to start ... like that...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Had a guy bug me to buy my limited but first wanted to trade a 99 range rover with a bad trans or needed a t-case chain. When he offered 450 in 150 payments. Then 550 then 600 then 650. I told him my bottom dollar is 700. Pretty fair for a 89 limited on 3.5" and set up to run 35's. Just needs a fuel pump and a battery to be back at wheeler status. A bit more for daily driving. But I have it listed as a wheeler project.
    He kept trying to tell me that it need a ton of work without even looking at it and motor needs rebuilt since it has 215k on it and all sorts of other bs. I straight up told him 700 firm as is. What needs to be fixed is isn't a lot and him having to tag it and title it in his name is not my problem. Then after the fourth message of why I wouldn't budge on the price since it only 50 but again the total being paid in payments over 4 months. I ask him has he heard of it pays to play. Wheeling and owning for wheeler is that way if you can't pay you shouldn't play. And that's my final say. Nothing back so I think he got the point of how firm I am on my price which is now at my bottom dollar for this jeep. Which I'm thinking about enlisting it and fixing the little things then relist it in a month. Not sure if I should or not. Price will go back up with things fixed and a new string of people to deal with.
    That's the end of my woes with selling this jeep for today.

Haven't sold it yet. But a couple weeks ago I took down my ads. I bought a fuel pump for it. Which I'm almost done putting everything back together. Then I bought some tire for my new jeep. So the one I'm selling will be sitting on same size tires again. Since nobody wanted to buy it and fix it. I fixed it and price will be raised.

I think that is a plan. A running and functional Jeep will sell better
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff