Thread: Best lift kit option for the XJ

Default Best lift kit option for the XJ

Looking for the best quality lift kit for a good price anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Default Re: Best lift kit option for the XJ

I think the first question I have to ask is how high do you want to go and what year XJ do you have?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

What kind of use are you looking to use it for, and what size tires are you looking to run?
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I want to go around 4 to 5" and, Eventually I'm going my Jeep into a crawler once I get a exo and some skid plates

My Jeep is also a 92 and I'm looking to run 35 eventually

Jacob, before you go and put some 35s on there, better check and see what rear axle you have. Likely it is a D35. Those don't hold up well to 35s, particularly if it is locked. It is not the end of the world though. A 97 and up Chrysler 8.25 will bolt in and are relatively cheap. But is is something you will have to factor in
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Yeah I've looked into that I'm starting to save for Dana 44. when I meant eventually I meant in a while haha let's just say I'll have this Jeep for as long as it'll live. Right now I'm just looking into the lift I'm going to want there so many manufacturers out there, I'm not sure what the best option I'm a new Jeep owner.

Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Jacob, the best lift for an xj is made by Clayton, it's pricey but well worth it, but you can get by with a rubicon express or zone and not have any problems. I myself run a Clayton with 33's with no plans to go up to 35's cause the flex I have is unreal for a crawler! Do a lot of research and ask us a lot of questions and you will find what you are looking for. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Dana. You get what you pay for in lift kits and if you are looking for the best option, then don't be cheap. Otherwise you will end up re doing it if you want the best
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

I had a 4.5 Rough Country lift on mine. Was very pleased with it reasonably priced customer service was great. I ran 32's without having to trim anything could run 33's with a little trimming.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Jacob, there's a big difference in running 33s and 35s. i.e. your Dana 35 rear axle will tolerate crawling 33's with light throttle. 35's will make it go boom. My plan is to break the stock axles before I throw at tons.

also your target lift height is right where things get a lot more involved. 4" and above, you need steering and driveline mods to make the important angles durable.

building your rig can be done in steps, but it needs to be well thought out or you'll end up buying the same parts again.

I'd recommend a 3.5" lift and 31s or 33s to start with. a little fender trimming (for 33s) and you've got a VERY capable rig will take you just about anywhere. then you can better define your favorite terrain and build phase 2 to meet your wheeling style.

phase 2: add shackle relocators to rear springs to net 5" range and replace the front with 5" coils. You'd also want to focus on those steering and driveline mods at this point.

I'm on 4.5" Rubicon lift with 33's. I've done a few driveline mods, but would need to address some steering issues if I were to go higher. I got myself in one situation where 35's would've helped. OTT it goes up and over everything I point it at.

You'll also find that there's a lot more at play here than lift and tires. bumpers with recovery points, traction aids, self recovery (winch), communications, lights, etc. the list can get pretty long!

best lift is pretty subjective. do you want a posh ride or something stiffer? I prefer a slightly higher spring rate so the tires don't go full stuff on smaller obstacles.
    Last edited by denverd1; 07-31-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)