Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chats

Default Re: New House Project

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Looks like a pretty good deal you got there... and certainly a nice start.. Can't wait to find a place with a little bit of property and privacy to finally setup as my own... and especially hopefully with a half way decent size outbuilding I can turn into a shop.. (have one in mind right now if a job I recently applied for comes through (only one I've gotten a call back for out of all of the resumes I've sent out, and a career I'd love (and have always wanted) to get into)... it'll be an overtime fixer upper for sure, but will work for me nicely..
    Hope ya get it James.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Pinkyman is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

We got a lot done over the weekend. Got the upstairs ceilings all scraped and ready for knockdown, and got the floors all up and ready for wood, and were ready for tile in the bathroom. We also got the tub surround out so we can replace that with tile as well, and we removed all the carpet and all the sheetrock ceilings in the basement to prepare for the new HVAC ducting that is going in.

We also got the big "L" part of the upper and lower cabinets out, so that was a big deal. It really makes it seem much bigger in there now.

Tomorrow we get to pick out flooring so they can start in that next week. The HVAC/tinner guy is getting started on Tuesday, and the drywall guy is coming to do the ceilings in a week or so. We are also getting our appliances delivered, and our new 500 gallon propane tank will be here in a week or so, then i can get to running power and gas for the heat in both the garage and the shop.

Chats

If you would like any free advise let me know. I am a manager for a plumbing, electric, heat and air company.

Things like
    With the shower suround off check the shower valve depth. It will probably need to be moved forward in the wall do to thicknesses of tile , morter and sheet rock. Most name brand valves, if not to old, have trim extension kits available, this may or not help. If it is not a name brand valve I recomend replacing it with one that is. Not if but when the shower valve starts to drip it will be easier to find a new cartridge to replace.

What are your plans for your water heater? Most are not field convertible from natural gas to propane. However clothes dryer and hvac unit is.

Electic panel upgrade for extra power on the shop?

If you would like professional advise from someone not making money on your project let me know and i will help with what i can.
    Project Hum Wee
    Project TJ Resurrection
    Project Little Brother

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Hum Wee JR View Post
    If you would like any free advise let me know. I am a manager for a plumbing, electric, heat and air company.

Things like
    With the shower suround off check the shower valve depth. It will probably need to be moved forward in the wall do to thicknesses of tile , morter and sheet rock. Most name brand valves, if not to old, have trim extension kits available, this may or not help. If it is not a name brand valve I recomend replacing it with one that is. Not if but when the shower valve starts to drip it will be easier to find a new cartridge to replace.

What are your plans for your water heater? Most are not field convertible from natural gas to propane. However clothes dryer and hvac unit is.

Electic panel upgrade for extra power on the shop?

If you would like professional advise from someone not making money on your project let me know and i will help with what i can.
    I appreciate that, thanks!

The house currently has an electric water heater, for now. It works and is fairly new, so we arent looking to upgrade that quite yet, well just leave it for the time being.

My father in law already has the new dedicated panel for the shop, so we should be good there.

My father in law is a pipefitter/HVAC guy of 40 years, and he has been extremely helpful with this project. He is super knowledgeable and is doing a lot of the work himself to help us save some time and money.
    Last edited by Pinkyman; 08-01-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Chats

Nice, sounds like you are in good hands. Having knowledgeable to help is huge. Electric water heaters are fine. The tank tends to last longer than gas water heaters. Less expansion and contraction.
    Project Hum Wee
    Project TJ Resurrection
    Project Little Brother

Chats

The wife and i picked out our floors last night, and went over with the flooring guy and figured out what we are going to do on the stairs. They are going to remove the steps, and replace them with Oak, that will be stained to match the floors. Then they are going to install white stair risers.

This is the floor we went with. Its a cork backed commercial floor. Hopefully it will hold up to the dog and the little man. They are made in 7 foot lengths, so i think i will like the look better than out last floors that were only 36" boards.

And this is what the stairs will look like, only with a different shade of stain.

Chats

We kicked some ass over the weekend. We gutted the bathroom, and got all of the holes cut in the basement to run the AC/heat ducting, and I got going on spraying the cabinets and cabinet doors. I still need to get a couple more coats on, and then get the back side of the cabinets, but they are getting close!

I also trimmed the trees so they can put the propane tank between the two, and picked up our appliances and a new dining room table my wife picked out. The drywall guy is coming tomorrow, and then the tile and floors get started in about a week!

I also talked to the neighbor yesterday, and found out a coyote (or multiple coyotes) got one of their calfs on Thursday night. I was talking to the wife and i think a new .223 is in the works...

Chats

In the 2nd picture you can see how gross the garage is..... Im looking forward to using the sprayer and getting some fresh white paint on the walls and ceiling as soon as the cabinets are done.

Chats

Last night I went to put the last coat on the cabinets and cabinet doors. Our tile guy is starting the bathroom on Monday, and the guy is coming to do the floors on Wednesday!

Also, our new furnace and AC unit and all the tin for the duct work showed up yesterday

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkyman View Post
    In the 2nd picture you can see how gross the garage is..... Im looking forward to using the sprayer and getting some fresh white paint on the walls and ceiling as soon as the cabinets are done.
    Is that the attached garage, or the shop?? If that is the shop, I'd run insulation behind those walls, and keep that style wall with the new coat of paint on it.. over sheetrock.. but that is just me... I'm more of a resiliency and industrial look type person in my shop plan, than the smooth clean look of sheetrock... especially cause I can somehow see something hitting or going through it.. then I'd be pissed about the waste of time/money for the sheet rocking... as far as my garage that'll be for the parking of every day driving vehicles and some other stuff.. I'll have sheetrock in there as most garages have... just my .. lol

Either way looking like some awesome progress going on, and certainly some good change... And it definitely doesn't hurt to have the father in law that can help with the work and the costs... Wish I'd have that with my progress (whenever that starts..lol)... Keep it up and look forward to seeing the progress..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Is that the attached garage, or the shop?? If that is the shop, I'd run insulation behind those walls, and keep that style wall with the new coat of paint on it.. over sheetrock.. but that is just me... I'm more of a resiliency and industrial look type person in my shop plan, than the smooth clean look of sheetrock... especially cause I can somehow see something hitting or going through it.. then I'd be pissed about the waste of time/money for the sheet rocking... as far as my garage that'll be for the parking of every day driving vehicles and some other stuff.. I'll have sheetrock in there as most garages have... just my .. lol

Either way looking like some awesome progress going on, and certainly some good change... And it definitely doesn't hurt to have the father in law that can help with the work and the costs... Wish I'd have that with my progress (whenever that starts..lol)... Keep it up and look forward to seeing the progress..
    That is the attached garage, and it is already insulated. It will be getting a new coat of paint once the cabinets are done and everything is moved in the house.

The shop isnt sheetrocked, and doesnt have power yet, its basically a shell. I will be running power out later this year after were moved in, and then i can do the wiring, insulate, sheetrock, and get the AC and heat going. I still have to trench a line from the propane tank to the shop, and run the electrical while were at it.

Chats

My wife and father in law got a lot done on Saturday, and yesterday i stopped on my way home from up north and ended up working all day, that was tough after a weekend of mountain biking lol.

We got the floor ripped out of the entryway, and got a new bathroom fan in. We also finished the sheetrock in the bathroom, painted, and my wife made the executive decision that we are getting new counter tops while i was gone, so those are out now too.. My father in law boxed in the area where the dishwasher is going, and we picked up our new tile and vanity for the bathroom.

The tile is going in the bathroom (floor and tub surround) on Tuesday, then they start on the wood floors on Wednesday, and the guy is coming thursday to start on the knockdown ceiling and repairing the drywall.

Chats

The bathroom tile will be done today, and they are starting on the wood floors at 1pm. The tinner has been there working on the A/C ducting, so that should be done soon, and the propane tank is getting delivered on Thursday. The drywall guy will also be there doing some patches and getting the knockdown started tomorrow.

Were hoping to get all the appliances in this weekend, and get the wall mounts for the TVs in, and fish wires through the wall, and i need to mow the lawn again, and maybe get the 4 wheeler and a few other things over there. Then countertops will be in in a week or so. The end is in sight, and its going to start coming together fast!

Chats

Well we stopped by the house last night. The floors are almost done, they just have the bedrooms to do, and they should be done today. The tinner was also there last night, and he has most of the ducting done, and said we should have cold air on Sunday or Monday. The bathroom is also grouted and finished.

We are supposed to get our propane delivered today, and then the drywall/taper is coming this afternoon to get started on patching the walls and doing knockdown on the ceiling.

Were hoping this weekend we can get the appliances in, and get the wires fished for the TVs (cable is coming on Wednesday), and i can get some paint on the new interior doors and get those installed. I also need to hang the cabinet doors and mow the lawn. Then countertops should be in in the next week!

Its really starting to come together!

Chats

Sounds like a whole lot going on.. but coming together nicely... Hurry up and get on that shop.. priorities are all wrong!! LOL.. It'll all come together in due time...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast