Thread: Valve cover gasket

Default Valve cover gasket

Okay I've been looking and I can't find anything that says one way or the other. Just wanted to check with y'all before I did anything.

I've got a 00 XJ that had the 0331 changed to a 7120. I just need to make sure that the valve cover gasket are the same?

If not how do I go about getting the gasket for the 7120? Like what year was this head in the XJ. (I think I read somewhere 91-95 can someone confirm) also if I change the gasket should I look into changing the cover too?

Thank y'all for your help. I'm still green to jeep repairs. This place helps a lot when my research just isn't turning up answers.

Sent from my iPhone

Default Re: Valve cover gasket

The type of gasket you'll need depends on the valve cover you have. The type of head doesn't matter and yes, the 7120 was fitted from '91-95.
    Valve cover gaskets come in two flavors; a cork gasket that fits inside the '87-'95 aluminum valve cover, and a synthetic rubber gasket with steel supports that fits with the '96-'06 steel valve cover. Yours is probably the latter of the two.
    When replacing the old gasket, make sure the mating surfaces are clean and free of old gasket material to prevent leaks. Apply a thin film of RTV silicone on the upper gasket surface only and the valve cover contact area. Allow about 15 minutes for the RTV to become tacky, apply the gasket to the valve cover, and rest on a flat surface with the gasket on the bottom with the weight of the valve cover on top. After 15 further minutes the gasket will be firmly in place and this will make reinstallation of the valve cover on the head much easier. There's no need to apply RTV on the head surface nor the lower gasket surface. Just torque the bolts correctly so as not to crush the gasket.

1992 XJ - 4.6L Stroker - AX15 - Sold 13/12/2016
    202rwhp 258rwtq (248bhp 311lbft crank)
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Default Re: Valve cover gasket

Love the nice synthetic rubber gasket, usually a Fel-pro gasket.. Need to order up a few gaskets myself.. as it looks like I got valve cover, RMS and oil pan that needs to be done on both my 97 XJ as well as my GF's 06 LJ.. Got to get her water pump & T-stat swapped out first though, as the water pump seems to have developed a slight leak (probably from the weep hole)..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES