Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Well there's your problem

Yeah those definitely look pretty gnarly!! Should think that replacing those should take care of noises in the rear axle... 80w140?!! wow that's crazy... The XJ w/ tow package manual shows 70w-140... and that is what I'm running in mine now with the new gears... since I have the 33's and plan to run it a bit harder than stock setup on the street.. Look forward to hearing the outcome of this... and hope it has taken care of the issues/noises... and keeps you back on the road.. or off of it, for some fun times!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Yeah those definitely look pretty gnarly!! Should think that replacing those should take care of noises in the rear axle... 80w140?!! wow that's crazy... The XJ w/ tow package manual shows 70w-140... and that is what I'm running in mine now with the new gears... since I have the 33's and plan to run it a bit harder than stock setup on the street.. Look forward to hearing the outcome of this... and hope it has taken care of the issues/noises... and keeps you back on the road.. or off of it, for some fun times!!
    Yea 70w/140 I got mixed up with 80w90
    Drove it to work today and with no rearend noise I heard all kinds of new noises. Lol

Sent from a van down by the river
    Last edited by drakan1908; 05-08-2017 at 02:09 PM.

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

almost looks like someone tried to weld the spiders but didn't know what they were doing.

I'm sure it'll quiet down with those replaced
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by drakan1908 View Post
    Yea 70w/140 I got mixed up with 80w90
    Drove it to work today and with no rearend noise I heard all kinds of new noises. Lol

Oh ok.. I mean whatever the manual says... The one you looked at could in fact say 80w-140... Wouldn't surprise me.. Glad seem to be taken care of as far as the rear end noises... I think XJ's are continuos noise makers... can go crazy trying to source and take care of them all.. That's why I make sure my first upgrade is a new stereo, good (well not the greatest in my case this time around, unfortunately) speakers, and at least a small sub (only running an older 100w 10" powered sub), and the few times I've driven it with the sub not installed.. heard all kinds of random sounds... so reinstalled it and good to go.. At least until I get the hatch glass situation taken care of, then get all the windows tinted correctly.. then I'll install my Alpine Type R 12 that I had in my last XJ... and then I'll be all set.. to never hear any future noises!!! LOL
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Oh ok.. I mean whatever the manual says... The one you looked at could in fact say 80w-140... Wouldn't surprise me.. Glad seem to be taken care of as far as the rear end noises... I think XJ's are continuos noise makers... can go crazy trying to source and take care of them all.. That's why I make sure my first upgrade is a new stereo, good (well not the greatest in my case this time around, unfortunately) speakers, and at least a small sub (only running an older 100w 10" powered sub), and the few times I've driven it with the sub not installed.. heard all kinds of random sounds... so reinstalled it and good to go.. At least until I get the hatch glass situation taken care of, then get all the windows tinted correctly.. then I'll install my Alpine Type R 12 that I had in my last XJ... and then I'll be all set.. to never hear any future noises!!! LOL
    Most of mine is suspension noise. My rear coil spring isolaters are wore out so the spring rubs on the body. Plus my front lower control arms are always popping and carrying on, but they have always done that.

Chats

Most of mine is suspension noise. My rear coil spring isolaters are wore out so the spring rubs on the body. Plus my front lower control arms are always popping and carrying on, but they have always done that.

Coil spring isolators are easy enough to swap out, and get rid of that annoying sound.. As far as the lower control arms.. are the bushings worn out on them? Or the brackets bent up or something?? Just trying to figure out why they'd make so much noise..

Chats

Coil spring isolators are easy enough to swap out, and get rid of that annoying sound.. As far as the lower control arms.. are the bushings worn out on them? Or the brackets bent up or something?? Just trying to figure out why they'd make so much noise..
    They have made noise since I put them on. I think it is the camber bolts. They are tight. What I need to do is remove them and use regular bolts. I need to find my oblong washers that I have and weld them in. Control arms are adjustable and I really don't need the camber bolts to be adjustable. As far as the isolaters, I just turn the stereo up.

Last edited by drakan1908; 05-11-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Chats

They have made noise since I put them on. I think it is the camber bolts. They are tight. What I need to do is remove them and use regular bolts. I need to find my oblong washers that I have and weld them in. Control arms are adjustable and I really don't need the camber bolts to be adjustable. As far as the isolaters, I just turn the stereo up.

Wait.. I do that for all the random noises... I don't discriminate as to what makes the noise... If I hear a noise, I turn down real quick to make sure I haven't hit anyone, am not dragging anything, and then I just turn the music back up, noise is now taken care of!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12