Chats

Default Stuck at has station need advice

My lock cylinder failed. I think it did. Past few days as i was turning it on i noticed i had to apply more inward pressure on the key to make it crank. Today after getting gas nothing. Swapped out cylinders and i get all my electronics but no crank.

Chats

Default Re: Stuck at has station need advice

Quote Originally Posted by OGCollard View Post
    My lock cylinder failed. I think it did. Past few days as i was turning it on i noticed i had to apply more inward pressure on the key to make it crank. Today after getting gas nothing. Swapped out cylinders and i get all my electronics but no crank.
    I mean if you're stuck can't you just remove the cylinder and use a screwdriver to turn the internal mechanism and start the Jeep?

Chats

Thats a good idea i did not think of mudderoy thanks! Good way to test and make sure it is the cylinder that is the problem and not something else. I had a buddy pull me home. So the wife will have to gove me a carpool tomorrow

Chats

Also i know it was dumb and it was me in a hurry and forgetting. I took old cylinder out with battery hooked up. Does that change your thoughts?

Chats

We checked all fuses, jumped the starter with key in on. It was spinning. Put old cylinder back in, still. I get all electronics but no attempt at turning over

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by OGCollard View Post
    We checked all fuses, jumped the starter with key in on. It was spinning. Put old cylinder back in, still. I get all electronics but no attempt at turning over
    Hmmm ASD relay? I've never done it on a Jeep but my old Chevy I could turn it over by shorting the solinode.

Chats

Not sure if it would make any difference or not with the 99+... But I changed out the barrel on both my 97 and my 98, both with the battery still hooked up.. so not sure if that would cause any kind of issue.. but like I said.. not sure if anything changed with the 99+ changes that would make that a NO-GO thing..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Doing some youtube research i found my symptoms match an ignition actuator going bad. The videos o saw say to replace the ignition switch as well so that is what i am doing tomorrow night methinks.

Chats

The name of the you tube video is "My Jeep wont crank over SOLVED". I would cut and paste the link here but cannot with my phone. It is about ten minutes long. Good video. One question, does anyone know what size ramper proof torx drive i need for the ignition switch? Cheaper to buy one then a whole set.

Chats

Success! Replaced ignition actuator and ignition switch. Battery was almost dead from working with it the night before. Turned it off after a minute and let set for about five minutes. Restarted and she ran and died a few times but after a minute got it revving. I assume with new ignition switch the brain has to remap it.