Thread: What is that noise? (water pump)

Default What is that noise? (water pump)

My guess is that most readers will already be familiar with the water pump on the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. It's one of the most basic pumps out there, and replacement is very straightforward. How to R&R is not the point of this short posting. I had an intermittent squawking, scraping noise that sounded like a failed bearing on the front of the engine, not in it. Kind of like an idler pulley or maybe a water pump. Took the belt off, no noise. Rotated/spun every pulley, no noise. Replaced the belt. Noise re-appears. This was driving me crazy. Replaced both idlers, still had the noise. Used the stethoscope, and it sure seemed like it was coming from the water pump area, but the pump was not leaking. In over 40 years of turning a wrench, I've never seen a failed water pump bearing with out a leak, but what the heck. Pumps are cheap, I had some antifreeze on the shelf, & I'd tried everything else. Pulled the pump. This is what I found. Even though the pump rotated freely w/o noise when I spun it by hand, the minute the tension of the belt was on it, the impeller was touching the cylinder wall. (see photos)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.0L cyl 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	10096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water pump impeller.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	10097  

Charlie Foxtrot's line up
    gone but not forgotten:
    94 yj
    91 xj
    76 j10
    74 j10

on the line:
    00 wj
    98 zj
    95 zj

new to the zoo:
    89 mj
    46 willys jeep 10kw generator

shop trucks (plows & haulers):
    99 ram 1500 4x4 (plow)
    97 ram 2500 (gas hauler)
    95 ram 2500 (HD diesel hauler)

Default Re: What is that noise? (water pump)

WOW.. WTF?!! Yeah can't say I've seen or heard of bearing failure without leakage.. that is what happened to the water pump on my 98 XJ.. was driving down the highway, belt popped off.. was like WTF?!! so pulled over cut the engine off... had the wife come pick me up and take me to the auto parts store to get a new belt, since the old one was thrashed.. was fighting to get it on, went under the engine to get it over the harmonic balancer correctly, and got dripped on... and was like WTF?!! Pulled the belt back off and touched the water pump pulley, and all hell broke loose...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES