Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow and Steady: '99 XJ

Default Re: Slow and Steady: '99 XJ

Minor update:

The fates are conspiring against me getting new shocks and ball joints. I had the alternator crap out on me Tuesday so, after putting kiddo to bed, I got some wrench time in and now have a shiny new alt and battery.

Knocking around the garage last night also drove home how badly I need to reorganize, clean, and prep the space for more serious work. Seeing as my car budget has been eaten up through mid-January, I'll be focusing my energies on getting ready for the suspension work.

Till the next time, hope everyone has a merry Christmas, Hannukah, time with the family.

Merry Christmas to you also
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Default Slow and Steady: '99 XJ

So following the wake of 'diagnose this noise' posts on various forums and FB pages, I've gotten paranoid.
    Here's a quick clip of my engine following my 22mile, 45min commute home.

I'm hoping what I'm hearing is some lifter tick and injectors firing off on a typical high mileage 4.0. As always, I'm deferring to those with more experienced ears than my own.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/196659397[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

is a bit chattery.

run MMO or anything through it?
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

A bit chattery I can handle.

I ran Seafoam through the crank case before the last oil change (about 400 miles ago), MMO was going to be the next additive I give a try and I've yet to run any fuel treatments through it. TBH, my wrenching experience stops at the engine and transmission beyond regular oil and filter changes. I've worked on/replaced everything bolt on (pumps, exhaust, full suspension, brakes, etc) in the past, but have been intimidated by messing with the engine and drive train.

I'm seeing evidence of valve cover and oil pan gaskets needing replacement as well as the main seal, so I'm working up the courage to start cracking things open. This weekend will be changing the oil in the rear diff and seeing how that's wearing so you'll likely see some pics of the opened case.

As always, thanks for the input, and any advice is most welcome.

New alternator and battery earlier this week. Popped the rear diff cover and all is looking well after 215+ miles. Now for some clean up and new oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And over a year without post, well done Mike.

In the intervening months there has been some progress made in the garage, as well as some fairly major life events which have set things back a skosh.

Since the last post I've replaced the alternator, distributor (dizzy, cap, and rotor), swapped in some 8mm Taylor Cable spark plug wires, champion plugs, starter, and ignition coil so hopefully there's that system sorted for awhile. On the plus side, I've got a new helper who's more than happy to hand me tools.

I've also gotten Synergy ball joints, along with new tie rod ends installed. Confirmed hubs are still in good condition (found receipts for their replacement dated just before I took possession of the XJ).

Still hemming and hawing over what to do with the suspension. Practical side of me says to go with Bilsteins and keep the Jeep at it's stock height. On the other hand, I can put off the purchase till the end of the year and go for a full suspension swap and 2.5'-3.5" OME lift. I've still got some hemming and hawing ahead of me on that one.

Meanwhile, next on the list is new header and exhaust. While I'm at it, I figure I may as well throw in some new motor mounts as they are likely stock and worn out as well. Brown Dog seems to be the current leader in motor mounts but I'm open to suggestions. As far as exhaust, I'm looking for a more deep, mellow sound instead of a load/throaty scream as this is will remain a daily driver garaged in a sleepy suburb. If anyone has a more conservative exhaust they'd recommend, I'm all ears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	14383  
    Last edited by MonsterNoggin; 02-26-2018 at 04:00 PM.

As far as suspensions go, I think the OME would be the way to go for you. They ride nice and don't lift you high enough to get you into additional expenses. I see you have a helper there. Good to start them young
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Another vote for OME. A bit pricey yet can improve ride handling and quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12