Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    nickyg's Avatar
    nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,075
    Chats
    1

    Default Wonky no start issue

    I started my jeep, pulled out of the driveway. remembered I forgot my phone. Shut the jeep off. Retrieved my phone, Turned the key to start the Jeep up and ---NOTHING--- No click or anything. I then went to put t in neutral and the shifter wouldn't move. turned the key back to off. tried again... Nothing But Now I can move the shifter into neutral. Tried again and it started.. but only if I give it about 1/4 throttle. It would stay running if I held a little gas. After about of 10 minutes of running it like this is settled down into a nice idle. I turned it off. and tried again. It fired right up like nothing was ever wrong.

    Battery is about 3 years old
    alt is about 1 year old and throwing out 14 volts.
    Any ideas?
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Quote Originally Posted by nickyg View Post
    I started my jeep, pulled out of the driveway. remembered I forgot my phone. Shut the jeep off. Retrieved my phone, Turned the key to start the Jeep up and ---NOTHING--- No click or anything. I then went to put t in neutral and the shifter wouldn't move. turned the key back to off. tried again... Nothing But Now I can move the shifter into neutral. Tried again and it started.. but only if I give it about 1/4 throttle. It would stay running if I held a little gas. After about of 10 minutes of running it like this is settled down into a nice idle. I turned it off. and tried again. It fired right up like nothing was ever wrong.

    Battery is about 3 years old
    alt is about 1 year old and throwing out 14 volts.
    Any ideas?
    TPS went out on the 99. It would only run if I gave it a little gas. If you can't get the shifter out of park that means the brake switch wasn't disengaged. Hmm trying to remember I know you have to press the brake petal to get it out of park when its running.

  3. #3
    nickyg's Avatar
    nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,075
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    When I pressed the brake I can hear the click in the shifter. Is the brake switch electrical or mechanical? I've spent the past few hours skimming the forums and it seems to indicate a battery/power issue. This is the battery I drove 14 miles with my Noco genus boost hooked up to it. I think I might've cut a few starts off it's life. I'm gonna check the cables and load test the battery tomorrow to eliminate that.
    It's a fairly new TPS. But easy enough to test with a multi meter.
    I'll post what I find.

    It only did it once. making it hard to track down.
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

  4. #4
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    tinfoil.............
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  5. #5
    nickyg's Avatar
    nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,075
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Well the TPS tested good and according to my harbor tool and freight battery tester the battery is kinda good. ( A lil on the low side under load) and the problem has not reoccurred and the glove box is nearly full of tin foil.

    UGG!!!! GREMLINS!!!
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,692
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Ugghh Nicky. The tin foil goes around the ECM
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Quote Originally Posted by nickyg View Post
    When I pressed the brake I can hear the click in the shifter. Is the brake switch electrical or mechanical? I've spent the past few hours skimming the forums and it seems to indicate a battery/power issue. This is the battery I drove 14 miles with my Noco genus boost hooked up to it. I think I might've cut a few starts off it's life. I'm gonna check the cables and load test the battery tomorrow to eliminate that.
    It's a fairly new TPS. But easy enough to test with a multi meter.
    I'll post what I find.

    It only did it once. making it hard to track down.
    It is electrical and mechanical. Look under your dash in front of the bar that goes down to where you press the brake.

  8. #8
    nickyg's Avatar
    nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,075
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    It is electrical and mechanical. Look under your dash in front of the bar that goes down to where you press the brake.
    I looked down at where I press the brake and all I seen was a foot.. further past that was a bunch of french fries.
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Quote Originally Posted by nickyg View Post
    I looked down at where I press the brake and all I seen was a foot.. further past that was a bunch of french fries.

  10. #10
    nickyg's Avatar
    nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,075
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Wonky no start issue

    Thanks.
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

Similar Threads

  1. Wonky speedometer
    By nickyg in forum General Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM
  2. Steering a bit wonky after new tires.
    By Mudderoy in forum General Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM
  4. No start cps wiring issue?? Help!!
    By notnats350 in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
  5. Weird no start issue
    By denverd1 in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •