Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

The family and I are planning a trip through Yellowstone national park on our way to Lewistown MT. We have only been there in the midst of winter on a snowmobile tour in West Yellowstone a few times and would love to see everything green instead of white this time around. We plan on camping in a tent trailer for one night and taking a short tour during the morning the next day.

Have any of you been? Can you recommend any campgrounds? And, what are some of the must see sights?

Default Re: Yellowstone

It's been quite a few years since I was out there Chris but we loved the west side of the park. Obviously you have to go see Old Faithful, that's kind of a given, but we didn't see much on the east side over by the lake. Mammoth Hot Springs is neat for sure and that's on the way out of the park on the north side. There's tons to see out there, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Bozeman is a neat town if you feel up to heading over there. The jewelry store downtown sells local gems from the Yogo mine up to the north a little farther.

I was there once too. Again, I think the west side was the best. You might also want to visit Cody and the museum there too. It is nearby.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

IMO the North West side campground, Madison, is our favorite. Bison and Elk in fall are right there and don't be surprised if some decide to take a stroll in the campground. Stayed there at least 3 times in the past 20 years. I've visited at least 5 times. If you've never been, and I didn't notice if you mentioned when you were going, you will need reservations if you plan on staying in the National Park. Last few times we went in early fall, September. The place was still full of people. Previously, in fall, we went about the same time of year and it was no where near as crowded. Must be all of us Boomers that are retired or empty nesters.

If you really plan on seeing the park, you should consider a minimum of 3 days. if for no other reason than it is much bigger than it appears on a map.