Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: CJ's Blue 97 build

thanks Abe, that's a good idea too, I was concerned that I'd have to pick up the sensors too. thanks for clarifying that I will look at the jy and see if I can find any clusters.

I love Ocala always something to do out there. we have been exploring that area for years and it never gets old. always a new spring fed lake or something to check out. here is a video I put together really quickly of our trip. [ame="https://youtu.be/xsbTowu247M"]https://youtu.be/xsbTowu247M[/ame]
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Tie rod, track bar & D.L.
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Chats

Thanks Pinkyman, Yes I have both the rear and front disconnected. it could go more but my fenders are limiting me if you know what I mean. I'm not for the hacked up look anymore so I may clean it up and remove the fenders and trim a little (I just would like the keep the factory appearance as much as possible).
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Pinkyman is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Cjsmithfl View Post
    Thanks Pinkyman, Yes I have both the rear and front disconnected. it could go more but my fenders are limiting me if you know what I mean. I'm not for the hacked up look anymore so I may clean it up and remove the fenders and trim a little (I just would like the keep the factory appearance as much as possible).
    I really like how it looks with the fenders. Im trying to stay away from trimming as well.

Chats

Pinkyman : well the decision was made on sat evening after cleaning the jeep from the weekend trip to remove them, I kept everything so they may find their way back on after paint and a little modification.

Update 5.31.16

This past weekend was quite eventful. Some friends and I went to the local u-pull it and found two late model Cherokees for parts. One was the same color and thinking back, I wish I would have grabbed the header panel for future use if needed. It had the cluster I was looking for, I was concerned if the Tach. would work because it came off of a 4.0 and mine is the 2.5 however no problems what so ever and everything works great. I also have confirmed that the reason that the heat doesn't work in the xj is related to the thermostat either A) stuck open or B) was removed. The thing never gets over 150* even on the trails.

Camp that evening.

In route to the junk yard my drivers side brake caliper got stuck again so I stopped at O'rilleys and picked up a new or refurbished one. Later that day I installed it and the CB radio. Tuned it up for the evening for the trip to Ocala and it worked flawlessly. The evening was great nice cool temps at night (67* at least). The next morning we spent about 5 hours on the trails exploring and went home where the cleaning commenced and the fender rubbing was temporarily investigated. I kind of like the look however the lower areas of the jeep will be sprayed with bed liner soon for protection and the flares will most likely find their way back home.

sorry for the cell phone picture but that's the only current picture I have at the moment.

Here's a short video of how the day went.
    [ame="https://youtu.be/cGMa9a6v8DI"]https://youtu.be/cGMa9a6v8DI[/ame]

Have a good day everyone, until next time

Chris
    Last edited by Cjsmithfl; 05-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Chats

Normally I'm a keep the fenders kind of guy but it looks pretty clean without them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX View Post
    Normally I'm a keep the fenders kind of guy but it looks pretty clean without them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I was thinking so too, glad I wasn't the only one. I will come together soon with the Bedliner on the lower rockers/doors. I think it's needed with all of the rocks these tires have been kicking up on the trails.
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Chats

-Update 9/20/18-

So I havenít updated or been on here in a while but that doesnít mean I havenít been doing anything haha. About 7 months ago I took a trip up into the Smokey mountains after visiting my parents in NC. Had a blast exploring around solo, didnít do much in terms of wheeling but the experience itself was well worth the trip. The Cherokee did great even with the 2.5L overall I think it was a little over 1,800 miles in total without any issues.

About 4 months ago I purchased a 2000 sport auto 4.0 4x4 with 142k on it from the original owner for 1,300. The original plan was to swap my stuff over to it but after further inspection I decided against this due to a past accident it was involved in. The drivers side front subframe was beyond what I felt acceptable to repair and trust for recovery etc. later found substantial rust on the tub.. sooo that lead to converting the 97 se over to a 4.0, auto sport knowing the drivetrain was good on the 2000.

Iíve taken my time with the swap and overall Iím pleased with how everything has come together. She actually fired up first crank today and runs great so far. I moved her around the driveway today (cleaning the garage and driveway) still have some things to finish up waiting on some more parts to arrive this week. During the swap Iíve replaced the following : Valve cover and oil pan gasket, transmission filter and gasket, water pump, thermostat, harmonic balancer, starter, upgraded to full aluminum radiator, external trans cooler, spark plugs, pcv, ccv, heater core and a/c accumulator. Iíve also added sounding deadening material to the cabin floor (have enough left for the inside of the doors and roof too). I purchased new replacement carpet for it and hope to get it all installed tomorrow. Overall Iíve got a bunch of tedious things to do like swapping the power door locks and power windows stuff. Iíve already swapped over the tilt steering column and auto pedal assembly as well. Things are going great. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I might do a write up for those that might be interested in doing something like this. Thoughts?

Have a good evening you all ✌🏽
    -Cj
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Chats

Also purchased this patio umbrella and converted it into a shade/canopy for camping. Helps at the beach and surprisingly enough it works decently in the rain. I cut the pedestal and used just the ďtubeĒ portion of it and fastened it to my tire carrier with stainless steel hose clamps. It works great. I stow the umbrella in the trunk while traveling etc.

Thought Iíd share that with you all too.
    97 SE converted to Sport
    4.10 gears 3" on 30's
    Bumpers/tire carrier
    Stove
    OBA
    Dual battery

Chats

Congrats on the swap. You will be happier with some extra ponies under the hood. Camping out of the back of the XJ is a great thing. Much better than having a Prius
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Looks like you're having fun with your rig! That umbrella is a neat idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12