Chats

Default headlight switch problem

i changed this a few years back. I changed the switch when it went bad but it didn't work completely. When turn the knob till it clicks the interior lights doesn't turn on when. When you open the front doors the the lights don't turn on. When you open the back two doors or tailgate the interior lights turn on. i can turn the headlights on and dim the lights. What sounds like the problem? 89 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0 ook I got to looking at it again and i found that the ground wire wasn't on the switch. My next question is why won't my seat belt light won't turn off. also when you open the front doors do only the lights one the bottom near the doors turn on not the roof interior lights?
    Last edited by greenchevy; 11-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.

pvt.Tadpol xj Guest

Default Re: headlight switch problem

Quote Originally Posted by greenchevy View Post
    i changed this a few years back. I changed the switch when it went bad but it didn't work completely. When turn the knob till it clicks the interior lights doesn't turn on when. When you open the front doors the the lights don't turn on. When you open the back two doors or tailgate the interior lights turn on. i can turn the headlights on and dim the lights. What sounds like the problem? 89 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0 ook I got to looking at it again and i found that the ground wire wasn't on the switch. My next question is why won't my seat belt light won't turn off. also when you open the front doors do only the lights one the bottom near the doors turn on not the roof interior lights?
    Hopefully this will not be a mystery repair! boy those can take a lot of time to trace down and repair, But maybe this can help you. go ahead and check all of your fuses in the fuse block. Also some of the early 90s XJs have a relay under the dash close to the steering column just for the interior lighting, and it might be easy to distinguish by its unusal color most relays are just BLK but the one you are looking might be med. Brown. Good Luck

Chats

Also, on the door frame area there are switches (door switches). They are thin needle like do dads (Technical term). These can go bad or stick often. They are not expensive to replace, and might be your problem.

Chats

So the lights work when the tail or back doors open. Your switches are bad or not getting power. This is not a fuse problem. Pull them and check them if you have an ohm meter. If not, use a test light. Sounds like the switches are the problem. They wear out over time or get dirty inside.