Thread: Lessons your kids teach you....

Default Lessons your kids teach you....

I had given a few talks about off roading to my little girl, but the freeze/thaw cycle of the ground, and the ability to feel solid, but be soft under slipped my mind. She drove off into an area that was mostly clay, and slowly sank till the front axle hit. Luckily she stopped immediately and was not very far off the gravel. She put it in reverse, and "got on it". And thanks to the front and rear lockers, she backed right out. It took her about an hour to dig the hard clay out of the wheels so she could drive home. I'm proud she stopped when she did, and got out without help. Love my little girl! I guess I will have to wait till I get grand children to get it right the first time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muddy jeep.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	8835

Default Re: Lessons your kids teach you....

Good for her. Nothing like a little experience.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Nothing wrong with some experience and learning as she goes.... Also nothing wrong with having a good time and using the Jeep for what it was designed for!!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Yes, a good lesson. I purchased this as I think it is one of the most capable "stock" vehicles. The overlander was a great vehicle that is almost always underutilized. As much as all the creature comforts break down, the drive train is rock solid. She asked me once if she needed some recovery gear in case she got stuck. I told her I didn't want her pulling on any of her friends cars, and if she ended up in a place she couldn't get out of, I wanted a call. Well, she hasn't called yet. Well not when she was stuck. Lets see, ummm, once when the starter went out, and then after this event, as she didn't understand why the steering wheel was shaking???? I showed up, and said, take a look at this right wheel, you need to dig all that mud out if you want to drive 60 mph down the highway to get home. We got out enough to drive 40 and limped home to get some cleaning tools. All in all, a good day! No damage, lesson learned, and some great pictures of a jeep in it's natural state.