Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chats

Icon9 Could use a few prayers

As some of you know, I'm in the car business running 3 cities of photographers for the largest Automotive dealer group in the world. As in the car business, things change. I started out just over 10 years ago working for Kelley Blue Book doing the same type thing when 5 years ago this dealer group snatched me up. It was perfect timing, as it meant a big pay raise when my wife was going through student teaching and wasn't getting a check. Fast forward to last year, we were finally where we wanted to be. Took a couple nice vacations, bought a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood and had a baby. My wife decided to get a job-share teaching position which meant she gets half a paycheck in order to spend more time at home with the baby. Things were tighter and we were working on curbing our spending after doing the budget just last weekend.

I got a call from my boss Yesterday stating that the company is looking to cut costs and that my position was making "too much money" and is going bye-bye. I'll be put back into a store as a photographer making waaaay less than I am now. Our savings is very low and won't survive this move for very long.

My option right now is to wait until all the details emerge over the next week or so, then probably move into a sales position. I've always stayed away from sales because I value my holidays, normal-length days and Saturdays. If I go that route, I'll have far less time with my family than I do now, but it may be the only choice I have. I'll probably have to wait a few months too because this time of year is the slowest for the car business.

Please say a few prayers that everything will work out and that I can continue to provide for my family comfortably.

Chats

Default Re: Could use a few prayers

Praying for you bud
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Prayers for sure, Jim!! All things will work out in time!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

I sure will bro! Hope things pick up soon. Can't believe they just came out and said your position made "too much money". That makes me mad. I guess they are the only ones to make too much...

Let them know they'll be missing out on thousands for our next truck, cause it definitely won't be at their dealerships.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 01-10-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Chats

Thanks guys. In this day and age, photographers are one of the most important jobs in the dealership. You'd think....

Chats

Hang in there Jim. The car business SUCKS! It can only get better from here it's been pretty slim here too.

Chats

Best of luck to ya man.

Chats

Well, got word from my boss today that they're getting rid of my entire department and outsourcing to a vendor company. I maybe have 2 weeks left with a job. Luckily, I have several options with the stores and can probably get into a highline store doing sales. Ugh, this sucks. Wish me luck tomorrow as I go talk to the GM of my BMW store.

Chats

Good luck and keep your head up. Its probably for the best.

Chats

Have you checked with the outsourcing company?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Really hope you find a good position jim. The timing isn't great, but you never know it's probably a blessing in disguise.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Have you checked with the outsourcing company?
    There's definitely the option, but there are 2 problems. 1, they wouldn't be able to pay me half of what I need to survive and 2, the 'owner' of that company is a snake that's tried stealing my stores away from me before and I refuse to work for her. But yeah, the money thing is the main part keeping me from working for them.

Chats

Thanks everybody. I do hope that the new company will bring my photographers on board. Several of them have kids to provide for as well.
    Nothing is set in stone, but I know I can excel in sales. I never wanted to do sales because I like knowing exactly how much I'm going to make, I like my Saturdays off and I like my holidays. But, this could be a stepping stone and a small part of me is excited for a change after 10 years of photography. It would be a whole lot less terrifying if I didn't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Chats

You are in my prayers!
    I have been there myself,
    you may feel like you're in the scary end of the tunnel, but
    you will see through to daylight on the other end.
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Chats

Well, the BMW store loved me but they're about to undergo a complete renovation of the building and they'll have to work out of trailers on the used car lot... cutting their inventory in half.

Today I interviewed with my Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep store because they have so much volume and foot traffic.... and I'll be starting Feb 1. The first month I'll make about 2k.... which is the rate that everybody starts out while training and getting certification until we move to commission only. That's going to be pretty rough, but we'll get through it with prayers.

The long-term plan is for me to get my feet wet doing selling there then transfer to BMW when the construction is over in 9 months to a year. Store hours are 9a-9p monday through saturday... I'm never going to see my family. But hey... if anybody needs a new/used Jeep or other vehicle.... lol yeah

On a good note, the company taking over the photos is willing to hire all my photographers, so at least they'll have jobs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast