Chats

Default Stock bumper winch mount? About to embark on fab'ing one up, Any tips?

Evening from the UK guys and girls. This is the first of (hopefully) many posts to come!

I would like to fabricate a winch mounting plate for my winch. I've decided to do it now and get it done properly before other mods.

I've found a few threads on the topic, mostly just talk, but one with photos. Apologies about it being from another forum, I feel like a cheater on my first post!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...bumper-928227/

It looks okay, my question is, is this the best way to go about it? I agree cutting the front X-member is the only way if you want an integrated, hidden winch system.

I am stripping down the winch now, and all the electrics will be on extended lines and located where the stock air box is. (I have a k&n atm, will eventually go through the fire wall, under the scuttle. but that's for another day!)

Any tips, ideas and abuse all welcome!

Chats

Default Re: Stock bumper winch mount? About to embark on fab'ing one up, Any tips?

Hi Ollie. I can understand why you would want to do this, since it looks nice and clean when done. There is one thing I would caution about this. If you get a cable pinched, it can be a real bugger getting the cable unspooled without a way to get to it. But yes, if you want to hide it you will have to do something about the front cross member.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Default Re: Stock bumper winch mount? About to embark on fab'ing one up, Any tips?

just an random thought how about using a front receiver and just put the winch on when needed? something like this http://www.carid.com/draw-tite/front...FQMMaQodBd0HLw

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...FQgKaQodG68AGQ

just throwing out another option granted its a compromise but the winch can be moved to the rear if needed.

Chats

I know winch bumpers in the UK are hard to get hold of, let me know if you'd like one

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Ollieb2705 View Post
    Evening from the UK guys and girls. This is the first of (hopefully) many posts to come!

I would like to fabricate a winch mounting plate for my winch. I've decided to do it now and get it done properly before other mods.

I've found a few threads on the topic, mostly just talk, but one with photos. Apologies about it being from another forum, I feel like a cheater on my first post!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...bumper-928227/

It looks okay, my question is, is this the best way to go about it? I agree cutting the front X-member is the only way if you want an integrated, hidden winch system.

I am stripping down the winch now, and all the electrics will be on extended lines and located where the stock air box is. (I have a k&n atm, will eventually go through the fire wall, under the scuttle. but that's for another day!)

Any tips, ideas and abuse all welcome!
    That sounds like an awesome idea. As long as it is well braced, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I hope you take lots of pics and share them with us...