Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Guns And Firearms Thread

That's a sweet deal! I might need to make a trip to Cabelas too!

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkyman View Post
    If anyone is looking for a new EDC firearm, Cabelas has a sweet deal going on on the Ruger LCP for the next week with their 2nd Amendment Sale. I have a gift card from Christmas, and a 20 off a 150 purchase...... I may have to go pick one up just because!

Basically its going to cost me like 130........... Plus ammo............ Plus holsters.......... Well its still pretty cheap lol

great price on that LCP. There's another version of the LCP (LCPS i think?) coming if its not out already. The price may be tempting, but there's a lot Ruger could upgrade on this gun and still keep it affordable. EDC guns aren't meant to eat up rounds as a range plinker, but this gun with a few mods would be a winner. I dislike the trigger take-up but I'm sure you could drop in a better trigger. Hard to argue with that price though....
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Chats

spent a few hours at the range with a good friend. He's recently been sponsored by Remington and had a couple new toys. I took my 1911, Glock, AR and SKS. He brought a Judge and the new Berretta 92 in 9mm. New Beretta is TITS!!! I've wanted a 1911 gun in 9mm and i think this is it. did pistol range first. got to play with some new moving targets. Now THAT was fun!!

Then we moved to rifle range. Got my AR dialed in and we put 4 or 5 mags through it. DONT BUY SILVER BEAR 5.56 AMMO. Had probably 8-10 rounds that didn't fire out of 140'ish rounds. Too many failures for me. I'll try to shoot it again then go from there.

Moved on to my open sight SKS. We did alternate shot on the smaller 4" targets. Had fun spotting each other and making adjustments. We both shot pretty damn well. At 50 yards, we we're making some solid hits. Can't wait to go back.

,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Chats

So, I have been on the fence about building or purchasing a whole AR-15. I have a couple shotguns, rifles, and pistols, but have never owned an AR. What are your thoughts on this situation? I don't want to spend a boatload of money and I am not against looking into different options.

Are there any manufacturers out there that I should stay away from? Who makes some good parts/accessories and whole units?

Pinkyman is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackYeti View Post
    So, I have been on the fence about building or purchasing a whole AR-15. I have a couple shotguns, rifles, and pistols, but have never owned an AR. What are your thoughts on this situation? I don't want to spend a boatload of money and I am not against looking into different options.

Are there any manufacturers out there that I should stay away from? Who makes some good parts/accessories and whole units?
    I thought about building one as well, but im leaning toward the M&P Sport. They can be had for right around 600, and i highly doubt i can build one for that.

I figure i can always change/add things, but for the shooting range and the occasional coyote, it will do just fine.

Chats

Back several years ago when there was a scare that AR's would be banned a AR was selling from 1200 to 1800 it was cheaper to build one than buy one. My son has built several of them. Although they cost more to build because all of the upgrades he does to them. Currently he is building a suppressed full auto with all the goodies that all said and done is going to be around 3200. He's just waiting to get his stamp from ATF to finish it. ( can't wait to shoot that bad boy)

Now that you can buy one for 600 you could probably build one a little cheaper but I would guess by not much.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackYeti View Post

Took me a while to buy into the AR platform and I'm not sold 100%. I don't like the caliber and didn't really like the guns. I traded an 88 XJ for one when gun prices were ridiculous. It was a fair trade, but I should've sold it before prices came down. Other than plinking at the range, I'm not sure what the hell you would do with one, other than look at it. Can't really hunt with it, although I guess it would be an ok caliber for lighter weight folks. Have heard 50/50 reviews on how effective it is on deer. Likely shooter error. .243 round is much better IMO. I like shooting hogs and other critters. While I've never done a side by side comparison (or even looked at ballistics of them) I would have to think the 7.62 round packs more punch. Its a lot cheaper and comes in HP for the same . The .223 round was designed by military so troops could carry more rounds. Fortunately, I don't have to carry ammo so that feature never appealed to me. I've modded a couple SKS guns for mag drops (with the bolt closed) and put optics on them. I like AKs as well, although I don't currently have one, am looking for a side folder. Last was an under fold, fun to shoot. AR is an OK gun. Nothing to get excited about.

,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
    Took me a while to buy into the AR platform and I'm not sold 100%. I don't like the caliber and didn't really like the guns. I traded an 88 XJ for one when gun prices were ridiculous. It was a fair trade, but I should've sold it before prices came down. Other than plinking at the range, I'm not sure what the hell you would do with one, other than look at it. Can't really hunt with it, although I guess it would be an ok caliber for lighter weight folks. Have heard 50/50 reviews on how effective it is on deer. Likely shooter error. .243 round is much better IMO. I like shooting hogs and other critters. While I've never done a side by side comparison (or even looked at ballistics of them) I would have to think the 7.62 round packs more punch. Its a lot cheaper and comes in HP for the same . The .223 round was designed by military so troops could carry more rounds. Fortunately, I don't have to carry ammo so that feature never appealed to me. I've modded a couple SKS guns for mag drops (with the bolt closed) and put optics on them. I like AKs as well, although I don't currently have one, am looking for a side folder. Last was an under fold, fun to shoot. AR is an OK gun. Nothing to get excited about.
    Just to wet someones appetite, you can put different caliper barrels on the AR platform. For instance my son has a need for stopping bears and mountain lions, which are beginning to be a problem. He has had one of each stalking him. His solution was to go to 50 cal on the AR platform. That has some punch. I am seriously thinking about getting one also for the same reason.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Just to wet someones appetite, you can put different caliper barrels on the AR platform. For instance my son has a need for stopping bears and mountain lions, which are beginning to be a problem. He has had one of each stalking him. His solution was to go to 50 cal on the AR platform. That has some punch. I am seriously thinking about getting one also for the same reason.

Boy that sounds like it would put you on your ass!

Chats

He put a heavier recoil spring in it. If you shoot it as fast as you can, it will push you around. He is going to redo the trigger to something a little stiffer to avoid that happening. Interesting thing is that CA has banned armor piercing ammo, and lead projectiles. Now that projectiles are being made of copper, these are armor piercing
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Steve's correct my son built a .308 and a 7mm mag on the AR platform.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

Chats

To me, that is where they start getting useful. If I was building a target gun, then the 223 would be OK. However my father had a Swedish 222 target rifle that used a heavier load on that small caliper that was an excellent long range gun and would do a decent job of knocking down deer
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

The .223 wasn't designed to kill, it was made to wound. The thought back then was the enemy would stop to help their wounded, it backfired, the enemy picked them up on the retreat. The full jacket would hit bone and deflect, or in a lot of cases pass through. If your worried about your fan getting messy, use NATO rounds because they will be more available than most hunting rounds.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking!!

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    Check out alexanderarms.com The .50 Beowulf is an ideal round for close range bear hunting. Where i live the forest is so thick most hunting is close range. Most shots will be 100 yards or less. At close range this round stops anything. After 250 yards it looses its stopping power. With a heaver recoil spring it kicks about as much as a 16 gauge shot gun. However on full auto it will push you backwards if you are not expecting it. No adjustable stocks though, it will break them and you will catch a buffer tube in the coller bone. Awesome gun though.
    Project Hum Wee
    Project TJ Resurrection
    Project Little Brother

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast