Page 1 of 44 1231126 ... LastLast
    Pinkyman is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Project Cheap XJ

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but have been around vehicles all my life. I'm normally a VW guy (so im used to fixing cars...lol), but have owned a few jeeps in the past, most recently a 2010 WK that we decided it was time to get rid of it.

So I'm picking up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic from a friend of mine for 200 later this week. She's been driving it for a year with no issues, but is picking up a new car this week, and she just wants it gone. The 4 wheel drive works, and it's got 260k on the 4.0 in line 6cyl. It needs some love, but it's cheap and will be a good hunting and ice fishing rig. 2 of the windows don't work, and the AC doesn't work, and the heat only comes out of the defrost no matter what setting it's on. I'm sure I'll find 100 other things as I tear into it too. It does have an aftermarket cd player and speakers from what I can see, and it has almost new snow tires on it.

First order of business will be to check the heat and AC, along with fixing the blend door problem. Then I will work on sourcing a fender and everything I will need to repair the front end and make it look decent, along with checking and changing all of the fluids, and finding some new wheels and tires.

I'm sure I'll be posting up looking for parts soon, if anyone has some of what I need laying around. Im really looking forward to digging into this thing and making the ultimate ice fishing/hunting/camping rig

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Project Cheap XJ

Pretty sweet deal! The tires alone are worth more than 200. You probably already know this, but I think the blend door is vacuum actuated and the vacuum ball reservoir is located in the front bumper right about where the damage looks to be. That's where I would start looking for vacuum leaks.

Chats

It looks like there's already tube rockers welded in there too. Or am I wrong?

Chats

Talking Re: Project Cheap XJ

Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    Pretty sweet deal! The tires alone are worth more than 200. You probably already know this, but I think the blend door is vacuum actuated and the vacuum ball reservoir is located in the front bumper right about where the damage looks to be. That's where I would start looking for vacuum leaks.
    Thanks abebehrmann! I did read about that. Ive heard that half of them will function as normal with that line capped off, and half need the vaccuum ball there or they wont work. My first thought is to cap it off first and hope for the best.

ive also heard about the child safety window switch bypass for the passenger side windows not working, so i may try that after some troubleshooting. I just need to get the thing home and start tearing into it

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    Someone else pointed that out too. I havent seen the Jeep in a few months, and i dont recall looking at it that close (i didnt realize she was going to sell it to me so cheap, or i would have taken more pictures and picked at it lol). But it appears to be either that, or a really straight rust line that formed somehow.

Chats

Bring it out to Freedom Ridge Ryan at least just to check the place out. You'll have fun whether it's ready to tackle the big stuff or not.

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    Nice catch! I didn't notice that at first, but I think you're right! I wonder if they were rusted out and one of the previous owners opted to do that instead of replacing.

Chats

I was curious since people started pointing that out, so I just texted her and asked her to get me some pictures of the rockers so we can tell for sure.

Ugh I can't wait to get this thing home so I can just look at all this stuff myself lol

Chats

I'm excited to see how she cleans up too, since I know for a fact that it hasnt been washed in 1.5 years.....

Chats

I got a better picture of it.... I may need to sand down whatever this is and throw some undercoating on it lol

Chats

Yup tube rockers. The hard work is already done for you!

Chats

I dont have any updates since i cant pick this thing up until Friday or Saturday... But i found a picture of my old WK with a friend of mine and his dads Jeep (mine was the white one).

Last edited by Pinkyman; 09-16-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Chats

Still no updates as of yet... But i did dig up a few pictures of our Jeeping adventures on our Honeymoon in Hawaii. This will have to tide me over until Saturday.

Above the clouds at the highest point in Kona

If you look close you can see a Jeep. We may have ventured off the beaten path

Chats

Well, i should have posession of this thing tomorrow. Apparently nobody in MN has the parts i need. So i may be ordering them next week, and ill just have to tear it down this weekend and start working on fixing up the little things, and whatever i can bend straight with a hammer and smoke wrench

Chats

Ryan are you just looking for the things you pm'd me about?

Page 1 of 44 1231126 ... LastLast