Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB Myths

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: CB Myths

Looks like it has a piece of metal at the end that you may adjust in/out by loosening a set screw.

Chats

Just getting back home w/swr meter, radio shack doesn't make them anymore. I found the screw. Thank you all for all the help!
    (just found the thank you box)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    What myths are you referring to?
    Just because its designed for your application doesn't make it plug and play. Sometimes surface or bracket prep is required. Although the metal whip antennas are good you can achieve good SWR numbers with a fiberglass antenna like a Firestik.

Chats

I had a reading on ch 40 of aprox.3.5, I pulled wire off the antenna until it read 1.5. Ch 1 barely registers at 1. Since I trimmed the antenna before I trimmed the coax, will I need to get a new antenna if I trim the coax now?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by WAS95X View Post
    I had a reading on ch 40 of aprox.3.5, I pulled wire off the antenna until it read 1.5. Ch 1 barely registers at 1. Since I trimmed the antenna before I trimmed the coax, will I need to get a new antenna if I trim the coax now?
    IF you are going to trim the coax I would check the SWR again afterwards. 1:1 on Channel 1 and 1.5:1 on channel 40 is about as good as you can expect across the band. 1:1 is perfect.

You can also get crimp on ends for the coax if you prefer to not solder.
    Last edited by prerunner1982; 08-21-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Remember every inch of coax is loss of signal strength and loss of power to the antenna.
    True but when comparing 18' with something less the loss is negligible. But with long runs yes, and at that point we would likely also be talking different coax.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    True but when comparing 18' with something less the loss is negligible. But with long runs yes, and at that point we would likely also be talking different coax.
    That is dependent on the frequency and the type of transmission line being used, but at CB frequencies that is mostly correct.

nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

OK. I have to chime in here. Since receiving signals is something I'm sorta an expert on. The best antenna is the cat mount Reynolds 550. It just gets a little tricky plugging the bugger in from time to time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antenna cat.jpg  
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by nickyg View Post
    OK. I have to chime in here. Since receiving signals is something I'm sorta an expert on. The best antenna is the cat mount Reynolds 550. It just gets a little tricky plugging the bugger in from time to time.
    Careful handing out your secrets Nicky, the government can quickly find ways to shut down your waffle iron remotely.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by tinythexj View Post
    Careful handing out your secrets Nicky, the government can quickly find ways to shut down your waffle iron remotely.
    NickyG knows this and he's working on a aluminum foil lined Vanta Black suit!

Chats

You guys are killing me with this talk about what works better for setups and such... now I gotta order the tail light mount from JCR for the passenger side (wish that had been available when I ordered my drivers side mount)... so that when I do drive it down the highway or whatever I can get the most use out of my CB if I so choose...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    You guys are killing me with this talk about what works better for setups and such... now I gotta order the tail light mount from JCR for the passenger side (wish that had been available when I ordered my drivers side mount)... so that when I do drive it down the highway or whatever I can get the most use out of my CB if I so choose...
    I don't think the effect is that big. There is so much noise on the "Chicken Band" it generally won't make a difference (I feel). Now if you're in the middle of no where and trying to talk to someone 20 miles down the road, yet.

Chats

I looked up the CAT antenna and spent e few hours unwrapping the coax. I twisted it except for the last 18" and wrapped it around my roof rack. It was hard getting the wire into the back of my radio and I used an alligator clip for the ground. I keyed up and got someone from Idaho.
    Last edited by GoneWithTheWind; 08-22-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: miss spelled a word.

Chats

I got a myth for ya.

You get just as much voltage and current from a cigarette lighter as you do running the power lines directly to the battery.

I think this is more important for the 20 to 100 watt HAM rigs but I look at it like this. If I only have 4 watts out on 11 meters, I want as much of that 4 watts as possible!

Take the time to run both positive and negative wires to the battery. Make sure you take into account what your CB radio current rating is (during transmit) and they select the right gauge wire that will handle that current for the length of the wire. I can't remember the rule of thumb, but I think that wire should rated for the max current of your CB plus 25%

Chats

As a radio junky.. This topic cracks me up

WMAYO WITH MY DUCKPLUCKIN RADIO BREAK BREAK
    Last edited by Mayooo; 08-22-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast