Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Default Re: Prayer request for my mother

Sending up prayers for your mom and all of your family.

Biopsy results show that it is the most severe and fast moving kind of breast cancer. They will begin whole-head radiation today to try to shrink the tumors and then a more targeted radiation surgery to eradicate them. There's one tumor that is borderline too big to do anything about, but they're going to try.

Apparently, the radiation surgery causes a lot of swelling which is why they're doing whole-head first to try to shrink them. Swelling is what brought all this to our attention in the first place.

After they finish with her brain tumors, they'll begin chemo to try to fight the lesions in her lung and breast.

I don't really know how I feel for sure, other than I'm ready to fight and I hope she is too. I'm worried that she will not feel well enough and give up on a treatment or several. Maybe sending her daily pictures of my daughter with motivational messages will help to keep her fighting.

She's 60 years old and I'm 30. I'm not ready for her to go. My daughter is only 4 months old and I want her to grow up knowing her grandmother. I also want my future child to know their grandmother as well.

It's not fair.... I know cancer isn't discriminatory, but it's still not fair. I wish there was a way to only let bad things happen to bad people, but alas, I know God doesn't work that way.

Knowing what it is is the first step, and good they've found it so quickly.

Relaying some positive scripture may help. Things to keep her mind off of it too. Anything to make her laugh or keep her spirits up. Remind her what she's fighting for.

You've got my prayers and will spread the word. Stay strong bro, and be the rock for her.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Sorry to hear this Jim. I have been out of phone or internet range the past nine days and did not know. Sent a couple up for you and her
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Time for an update.

She has completed her final dose of radiation yesterday and had another consult today. They're trying to get her blood sugar down so that she can have a PET scan and will be prepping for chemo for 2 weeks before starting on it on the 14th. The radiation has made her extremely weak and tired.

The doctor said the average life span for this diagnosis and treatment is 3-4 years....

Sent one up for the both of you Jim
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Without treatment, they said my mom would live two weeks. They gave us grim hope because of her particular diagnosis (aml) with a tough cell mutation (flt 3). We kept hearing this is a tough form of leukemia. Heck, I thought all were. But this one specifically. Over and over, I guess they wanted us ready in case it didn't work. Leave that with the doctors. They have their statistics and probabilities. We have God! Miracles do happen! I'm staring at one right now.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 08-29-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Latest update:

Mom finished her radiation last week and feels pretty tired and weak from it. She fell again in the foyer after retrieving the mail the other day.

Today, she went in to have her PIC line installed. Chemo should begin in another week or so.

Jim i will continue to pray for your family. Just have faith my friend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Mom isn't doing well right now. Called the oncologist at 4:30 this morning and went in. The chemo has dropped her white cell count dangerously low and is in danger of infection which is very bad news.

I'm not doing well, right now. I'm the type of guy to blow off my emotions by not thinking about things and that always comes back and bites me in the ass. We need more time, we need more strength, we need more everything. Please say prayers for her. I can tell that my dad isn't doing well right now either so please pray for his strength too.

Sorry to hear things arent going well man. Will continue to pray for all of you and hope tjings turn around man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Sent one up for you both Jim
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

The purpose of chemo is to knock off the cancer cells, but it can't differentiate the good cells from bad so it takes out white cells, red cells, and platelets (depending on the treatment) in the process. They usually can't boost white cells like platelet and red cell transfusions so you have to be very careful till they start to come back up. Infection is serious, and to be honest it probably will happen. My mom got an infection bad enough to go to the hospital almost every time she got chemo. She needs to watch her temps closely. At Md Anderson they said to come in if the temp was at or above 101.5°. And don't waste time getting there. We always had bags with a week's worth of clothes in the truck, still do actually, to not take any longer than we had too. The sooner they can get it diagnosed and the right antibiotics the better. But it's usually pretty easy to get rid of and take care of the symptoms.

I'm the same way, usually I can detach easily and it'll hit me later. But some things don't make that easy to do. Sometimes it's hard but just giving it to God and trying to leave it with Him is best. We aren't meant to hold on to things. That's why we have faith and hope. Without it, we're nothing but torn down people with nothing to look forward to.

There's a prayer I started a few years back and still say it to this day...

Dear Lord,
    Help me to have faith it You, trust You and know that you are in control. That worrying does me no good. That You are there for me no matter what. That You will carry me through anything and everything. Amen.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Thanks guys.

Got a call from dad early this morning. Mom collapsed sometime during the night and was too weak to even lift her arms for dad to help her up. He had to call 911 and go in to the emergency room.

She did have/still has a sinus infection. She has been declining very rapidly the last week or so. Slept the entire day yesterday and hasn't been eating and drinking hardly anything.

My wife and I were planning a trip up there on the weekend of the 10th so she could see her granddaughter again, but we've all been sick off and on the last few weeks. Not a good thing to bring to a cancer patient.

I've been pretty reluctant to call her since she got her diagnosis because I know she's weak and needs sleep and her throat hurts from the chemo. But I can't help feeling like I'm a horrible son for not talking to her on the phone. We've texted a lot. I've also been sending her as many pictures and videos of my daughter as I can. After all... she's only been able to see her 3 times since she was born.

This sucks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast