Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Default '95 GC Laredo - what to look out for

Acquiring a '95 Laredo through a family member's estate. My son is 16, and I figured it would be a good choice to acquire (free vehicle, some repairs) for him to use if he follows the rules. Same engine as my XJ which will provide some economies of scale on the repair learning curve.

My wife is up in the mountains fetching it with my daughter, and while driving around town, the water pump blew. It's been sitting for 4 years. Her parents covered the initial assessments batch of repairs (exhaust manifold, axle bearing, state inspection, small stuff). We were advised that water pump gaskets go when a car sits that long, and it's been fixed and is being driven around town all day today. OK. No problem. But .....

The plan is for my wife to drive it back home tomorrow (4 hours). Not too keen on her and my 9 year old daughter breaking down, but a new car can break down too.

We were hoping to get an idea on what might be faced near-term, and long-term. I assume the same things that impact the i6 engine. What else? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0593.JPG  
    Last edited by packmule1911; 05-28-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Chats

Default Re: '95 GC Laredo - what to look out for

Quote Originally Posted by packmule1911 View Post
    Acquiring a '95 Laredo through a family member's estate. My son is 16, and I figured it would be a good choice to acquire (free vehicle, some repairs) for him to use if he follows the rules. Same engine as my XJ which will provide some economies of scale on the repair learning curve.

My wife is up in the mountains fetching it with my daughter, and while driving around town, the water pump blew. It's been sitting for 4 years. Her parents covered the initial assessments batch of repairs (exhaust manifold, axle bearing, state inspection, small stuff). We were advised that water pump gaskets go when a car sits that long, and it's been fixed and is being driven around town all day today. OK. No problem. But .....

The plan is for my wife to drive it back home tomorrow (4 hours). Not too keen on her and my 9 year old daughter breaking down, but a new car can break down too.

We were hoping to get an idea on what might be faced near-term, and long-term. I assume the same things that impact the i6 engine. What else? Thanks.
    A few years ago the neighbors were given a 98 (I think) Grand for one of their kids to drive. Very nice looking vehicle, well taken care of at least externally. I believe they drove it a couple of years, then it sat in the driveway for at least 6 months. Transmission failed.

I believe they gave it back to the relative that had given it to them. Just couldn't afford the 1000 transmission repair.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    A few years ago the neighbors were given a 98 (I think) Grand for one of their kids to drive. Very nice looking vehicle, well taken care of at least externally. I believe they drove it a couple of years, then it sat in the driveway for at least 6 months. Transmission failed.

I believe they gave it back to the relative that had given it to them. Just couldn't afford the 1000 transmission repair.
    Yeah, if something that big happens we'd likely make a decision to sell it off, after I robbed it of applicable parts for my XJ.
    Last edited by packmule1911; 05-28-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Chats

I think in light of what Tony posted, one thing to do quickly is service the transmission. They are not as durable as the AW4
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Way back in '96 my mom bought a '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0l and 70k miles. It now has 258k and sets for months at a time but cranks right up no problem. Its had its issues for sure but most of those are due to the errors of mechanics including dealerships (and the reason i try to do all my own work now). Its only drivetrain component that's been rebuilt was the rear axle but again that was due to bonehead mechanics.

Taken care of they can last almost as long as XJs. With most of the usual problems to deal with. The fuel pump was the only issue we had to replace several times.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Chats

Are things like death wobble, and #3 injector fuel lock common? I assume that all things 4.0L i6 are likely.

Chats

Death wobble yes, fuel problems only generally on the 00 and up
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Its more equivalent with the 4.0 of the same era (95-96) in the xj. You get a better mechanical fan and radiator setup but no electric fan as the moved the mechanical fan to the center.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Death wobble yes
    Does this present itself suddenly, or does it begin and worsen gradually? I REALLY don't want Mrs. Pack Mule and daughter to experience that.

The tech has driven it on the highway, so I'm hoping if it's not there now, it won't be within the next 250 miles while they're driving it home.
    Last edited by packmule1911; 05-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Chats

It is probably OK. It shows up easier on lifted rigs. You can drive it over a bump where both wheels hit at the same time. If it doesn't happen then, no worries
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

It wasn't driven hard I don't think. The uncle who owned it would not have worked it hard, and he was the only other owner. He did wreck it, due to things that could have and should have been avoided, but other than that we're likely facing neglect items more so that abuse. Although I guess neglect is abuse. Oh well. Not complaining. It's providence how it came along to us.

Chats

They made it home without issue.
    This thing smells horrible. Nothing like sitting around for 4 years or so to ripen things up a bit.

We've got mildew everywhere, a lot of rotten weather stripping around the doors, and the headliner center ceiling unit are falling down. If I can get the plastic unit to 1. Work as 2. Reattach, the liner might be ok with a few shots of contact adhesive.

Chats

The problem with the headliners is the foam between the fabric and headliner board deteriorates and makes it next to impossible to reattach. But its not too bad to pull down and put some new fabric on. Hoping to do that myself in the coming weeks.

Chats

So far the only repair we've had to deal with since getting it home is to replace the cap, rotor, coil, and crank case censor. Might not have needed it all, but it couldn't hurt. Wires will get done eventually.

We have water getting in and accumulating on the passenger side floors. The plastic cowl below the windshield has a section that is bowed out, and I image that's where it's coming from. That's likely why it smells so damn bad; several years of rain and standing water. I'm just going to run some silicone around where the windshield and cowl meet. I did check to see if the a/c condensation drain fix has been done, and it has, so I'm thinking leak.

None of the dome lighting works, nor does the trip computer in the ceiling, which is disappointing. Someone has been in it before, and didn't reattach it properly. Same with some of the doors. The electric windows seem very strained when rolling up, and I expect someone's been in there too since the door panels are all floppy and poorly attached.

Nothing against my wife's extended family who had this vehicle, but dang, they really could have put it back to rights when they monkeyed with it. These folks are the guys who build little rental homes, not exactly to code. Great folks, but live like the corners are actually there TO be cut.

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by packmule1911 View Post
    . Great folks, but live like the corners are actually there TO be cut.
    Hahahahaha, that is a good description. I know a few people like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast