Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Are you a new HAM?

Nothing about HAM radio is cheap, except building your own antennas. It very strange to see 30 radios. My first handy talky was about 200 if I remember correctly. Icom IC2AT

Chats

Anyone have any opinions/advice on the Beofung handhelds? I won one from a Jeep Club raffle and figured I should learn to use it other than NOAA broadcasts.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw star View Post
    Anyone have any opinions/advice on the Beofung handhelds? I won one from a Jeep Club raffle and figured I should learn to use it other than NOAA broadcasts.
    Well what you don't want to do is start talking on it like you would a CB. HAMs are known for reporting unlicensed operators. I am assuming you don't have an Amatuer Radio license.

Is it 2 meters, 70 centimeters or both?

I'd start with searching Google for repeaters in your area. You can then put in the frequency and start listening. Oh look for an IRLP repeater. Those are usually very busy and fun to listen to.

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw star View Post
    Order the programming cable and download Chirp. Makes it easier to program. A different antenna will help a lot. The Nagoya NA 771 is popular or you can get a conversion cable and run a dual band mag mount on a pie plate (or other metal item.. fridge, freezer, safe, etc). You could also make a vertical ground plane or J-pole for the band (2m or 70cm) that you would use the most.

I have 2 Baofeng HT radios. Have had one for almost 3yrs now and neither has given me any issues.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Thanks for all the input. I've gotten a lot of info on classes and operation in my area as well.

Chats

Woohoo! Got my call sign today, KC1ECP.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    Order the programming cable and download Chirp. Makes it easier to program. A different antenna will help a lot. The Nagoya NA 771 is popular or you can get a conversion cable and run a dual band mag mount on a pie plate (or other metal item.. fridge, freezer, safe, etc). You could also make a vertical ground plane or J-pole for the band (2m or 70cm) that you would use the most.

I have 2 Baofeng HT radios. Have had one for almost 3yrs now and neither has given me any issues.
    And when you're sticking that antenna on something remember FM is generally vertically polarized where AM, SSB, etc... is horizontal. So you'll want it vertical.

Chats

New hammer here. ZL4BGL (new zealand). If anyone has an IRLP repeater in their location let me know the node number and I'll drop in some time.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BenLavNZ View Post
    New hammer here. ZL4BGL (new zealand). If anyone has an IRLP repeater in their location let me know the node number and I'll drop in some time.
    Congrats! I listen to the WinSystem and use a local repeater that it's linked to it. Not sure what the node number is, I just use the old fashion radio link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12