Thread: Light bar

Chats

Default Light bar

I built this light bar using unistrut, commonly used by electricians to mount conduit, fixtures, etc - readily available at any home improvement store or in the scrap pile at an electrician buddy's shop as I did. It has predrilled holes,and is very rigid but lightweight. I drilled out the forwardmost holes in my factory roof rails,and used j bolts with lock nuts to mount. Also placed a small piece of 1/8" rubber between the bar and factory rail to isolate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0321151001.jpg   0321151000e.jpg  

0321151000c.jpg  

Chats

Default Re: light bar

Hey good idea
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Default Re: Light bar

As I recall, there isn't much holding that plastic end cap on, you may have problems with that staying attached before too long.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    As I recall, there isn't much holding that plastic end cap on, you may have problems with that staying attached before too long.
    I believe it is actually only one bolt/screw that holds those end caps on, from when I had to replace my broken caps.. So you might want to look into figuring out a way to slid the bar back to the actual rack track and secure it down to that if at all possible, just to make sure you don't have to worry about it breaking loose or anything.. I know those plastic end caps get brittle with age.. (I broke the ones I mentioned having to replace earlier on accident due to this)...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

I think this is where the rail fits in to the end cap, it was an existing hole - plastic over metal. But thanks for the suggestions, I may move it back before I wire it up and cut the j bolts flush. Looks like little antenna right now ! Been waiting to see how it held up & getsome input on here.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyamx View Post
    I think this is where the rail fits in to the end cap, it was an existing hole - plastic over metal. But thanks for the suggestions, I may move it back before I wire it up and cut the j bolts flush. Looks like little antenna right now ! Been waiting to see how it held up & getsome input on here.

I'm not trying to bash your idea or plan... I actually think it is a pretty good setup, was thinking about doing similar for cross bars under my roof rack (basket), as well as something similar for light install... Just wanted to give you the heads up on how easily those plastic pieces break, as I didn't want you to loose your bar, or have it come off on you while you're driving and maybe cause more damage to your XJ.. If you have the J-hooks through metal then you should be good... don't have my XJ with me right now (unfortunately) so I can't take a look at the holes and such on those end caps..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

I bet it would hold up fine, until you catch it on something like a branch or vines.

Chats

Looks good. I used the same stuff to make one for my old Bronco. Only thing different is I welded plates on the ends to make a gutter mount

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Chats

I built this light bar using unistrut, commonly used by electricians to mount conduit, fixtures, etc - readily available at any home improvement store or in the scrap pile at an electrician buddy's shop as I did. It has predrilled holes,and is very rigid but lightweight. I drilled out the forwardmost holes in my factory roof rails,and used j bolts with lock nuts to mount. Also placed a small piece of 1/8" rubber between the bar and factory rail to isolate.

X 2 with the others .... in regard to maybe moving it rearward a bit,

... it will also reduce some glare from the lights.

... and maybe shorten/shape the ends so they are less likely to catch on something ??

Flip the uni-strut 180* ... and you can hide the bolt thread and wiring inside it ..

... and it will look like one of these overpriced rack systems we have down here ..

Last edited by Carves; 03-21-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Chats

Looks good to me. If i remember correctly the metal continues under the plastic cap for a short bit so by the looks of it you have it hook to something sturdy. I would think the plastic would show fairly wobbly.

Good job!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 03-22-2015 at 02:31 AM.