Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Rear ended help!

I dropped the fuel tank and went to work with the porta power..

Definitely moved things around quite a bit. Its easy to see how a novice can cause more damage than they repair using one of these. Anything you push pushes and pulls everything attached to it. But I think I made positive progress overall. I can now bolt on the bumper with all 8 bolts, the trailer hitch fits, and I can move the liftgate post all the way back to stock position (It was previously an inch towards the rear, I had to slot its holes and move it so the liftgate would reach it)

But that area is still )(@#(@'ed. Its all bent and warped. The weather stripping is toast because of the lift gate hitting it at the wrong angle, and theres no way to put fresh weather stripping on because the flange is all messed up.

So I think at some point I'd like to put fresh sheet metal in. I think if I replaced about 1 foot from the rear edge of the floor pan, inwards, including the rear cross member, everything would be like new.

From what I can tell this is fairly straightfoward and I could probably fab up my own sheet metal pieces to do the job. I see people on youtube replacing huge sections of floor pan from rust. This is a little different because its impact damage, but I think the frame rails are fine and its just the cross member and rear area of the floor pan that need to go.

Any suggestions? I would imagine the procedure would be:

-remove fuel tank, carpeting, padding, bumper, trailer hitch outer bolts.
    -drill out all spot welds on rear cross member
    -drill out all spot welds on floor pan that are in area that will be removed
    -cut out floor pan section thats damaged
    -remove rear cross member
    -fab up new cross member and floor pan out of sheet metal/thin wall tubing
    -drill holes in new sheet metal to correspond to new spot weld locations (different than old weld locations cause they are just a hole now!)
    -MIG weld it all in (I think my dinky HF 90A welder will actually work for this, if not I can use my big TIG welder)
    -spray the whole deal with some kind of rust oleum/undercoating
    -put everything back together!
    -enjoy new weatherstripping and proper liftgate function!

Chats

Looking good... Almost like it is supposed too from the factory!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

It is a little hard for me to tell exactly what you need from your pics. But here is another shop tip for you. Get yourself some dollies, not the kind your daughter plays with. They are heavy pieces of metal that you put on the other side of sheet metal while you hit the front side. So let's say you have a crease in something. You need to push in on the crease to take care of a ridge in the metal. So you put the dolly on the back side and hit the front side with the hammer. Generally you don't use a BFH for this. You use a light hammer and go slow. The dolly keeps the back side from moving, (you never thought you would have a use for Newton's second law of thermodynamics). It is the mass of the dolly that is the trick. You work both sides of the metal until you get what you want. About ten minutes of practice will be worth more to you than a book I could write on it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    It is a little hard for me to tell exactly what you need from your pics. But here is another shop tip for you. Get yourself some dollies, not the kind your daughter plays with. They are heavy pieces of metal that you put on the other side of sheet metal while you hit the front side. So let's say you have a crease in something. You need to push in on the crease to take care of a ridge in the metal. So you put the dolly on the back side and hit the front side with the hammer. Generally you don't use a BFH for this. You use a light hammer and go slow. The dolly keeps the back side from moving, (you never thought you would have a use for Newton's second law of thermodynamics). It is the mass of the dolly that is the trick. You work both sides of the metal until you get what you want. About ten minutes of practice will be worth more to you than a book I could write on it.
    I was thinking about this..HF has a set with really good reviews:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-31277.html

The pictures of my jeep are pretty worthless at showing the damage.

The area that is bent is very strong, I can barely move it with the 4 ton porta pull maxed out. Can hand tools be used in this situation? Maybe since you are putting all the force in a small spot?

Its quite wrinkled and bent. If I could get in there with hand tools and straighten it all out that would be amazing..but I guess I need to know what situation they are appropriate for and what they arent. Maybe I'll take some better pics

Chats

Those will work. One trick is also to use them with the force applied. Once you deform the metal back into shape it will stay where you pushed it
    Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 03-08-2015 at 01:29 AM.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I'm a defeatist ... and would say that is fooked ..

... so I'd be looking for a replacement section for someone to weld in.

Having said that ... if you have at it with hammer and dollies, it will probably come good.

Slow and steady tho - as 4.3LXJ mentioned ... as you have already noticed how the whole will react to just working on one point ..
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Chats

I also got rear ended and it dropped my whole rear end about an inch and i am using an 8000 come along a car jack and some bottle jacks along with a ball pean hammer and a sledge and its coming out nicely. I do have the advantage of having worked in a body shop before but not having the right tools is a challenge. Just take it slow i have been going at it for two weeks now and everything is starting to line up where it is supposed to be. Looks like yours is coming along great from what i can see. Next for me is dropping the gas tank and swinging everything to the passenger side about an inch and then welding on the frame stiffeners. This happened two days after i bought the jeep when someone pulled in front of me and slammed their brakes. I ended up on top of the Prius and a buddys race car that was on a trailer we were towing, broke the straps and rear ended the jeep. So after the rear i get to fix the front! So yeah your is not all that bad but i do know how hard it is but it can be done!!!
    Last edited by Evolonednb13; 11-14-2015 at 07:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12