Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Chats

Cog The Little Red Wagon...

I'll post pics as I go, but here is the base Vehicle as stated in my intro thread:

1996 XJ
    4.0L
    AW4
    NP231
    D30
    Chrysler 8.25"

Bone Stock at the moment.

It's a cream puff. Literally. I mean total Pavement Princess!

Going for an Overland Adventure style build.

Mild lift, 31" tires. Dual Purpose DD and trail warrior.

Current status of the build: Making it "right", fixing all the little things that get neglected after twenty years. Lights that don't light, switches that don't work... Etc, Etc.

Copy/paste from the intro thread as I'm too lazy to retype everything.

I haven't gotten pictures of it's current state yet. Whatever horrible Virus is going around, caught up to me. The last week has been a combo of Dayquil and going to work mixed with extended

I managed to get the CD changer out of the cargo bay and get my aftermarket head unit a couple weeks ago. It's nice having tunes again! The holes for the CD changer mounts (threads sealed with silicone), worked perfectly to screw down the plastic tub where the spare fluids are stored. Then my travel tool kit is strapped to that with a ratchet strap. Win, Win, win! Storage, tools and load hold down all in one.

Took the door panel off the driver door to repair the lock solenoid, only to find that the rivets are failing that hold the solenoid to the door. Next week it'll be drill out the rivets, lube the solenoid and bolt it back in. The rinse and repeat for the other doors.

My local used tire shop has a factory spare rim/tire that I will be picking up, I'll have to pick up the hardware from the local HW store. I want to kick who ever didn't put the spare and it's hardware back in before selling the rig....

Also have a line on getting a replacement keyless entry module and cover plate, though useless, I still want to cover the hole in the headliner... The IR system is useless. Pointless even. I will have an aftermarket system put in eventually. One, for the convenience of keyless entry (might even spring for remote start), two for insurance discount.

CB Radio is now in as well. The antenna/cable needs a ton of work as the SWR is far too high. But it is workable.

As previously mentioned, radiator still needs to be swapped because of a pinhole. My local Radiator shop can re-core it, even upgrade it from the two row, to a four row while they are at it. Copper/Brass OE Rads FTW! Try that with your modern plastic crap!

Also while I was in there, I took a look at the E-brake switch, since the light don't light.... I need to pull the console and clean the accumulated goo out of the switch.

Not much in the way of visible progress, but little things that just make it feel better. Like I said before, Making it "right".
    Last edited by Poorboy; 02-15-2015 at 08:01 AM.

Chats

Default Re: The Little Red Wagon...

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I'll post pics as I go, but here is the base Vehicle as stated in my intro thread:

1996 XJ
    4.0L
    AW4
    NP231
    D30
    Chrysler 8.25"

Bone Stock at the moment.

It's a cream puff. Literally. I mean total Pavement Princess!
    Wow what a great Starter rig to build from!
    Man don't paint it!!! The Red jeep guys will throw a hissy fit

Of course, Mine is bed-liner black!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Chats

I like the red. It's staying red. I wanted a bone stock, unmolested rig. No sense in buying someone else's problem. It's like this one wants to be built. Everything so far has been an easy repair. :-)
    The Little Red Wagon in the theme of Overland Adventure Vehicle. Grab an empty seat and ride along here : http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19655

Chats

Wow, the as great to hear! You must be very excited. Jeeps are a ball to build!
    They can be very Trail ready and yet a good daily driver as well, hard to beat that!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Chats

Thank you. :-)

I bastardized a lift for my '87 years ago. S-10 leaves, pucks up front, 30x9.50 tires. Just enough lift and tire for the beach driving where lived at the time. I wasn't totally happy with it for actual trail use. I sold it before my divorce.

Now several years later, I have a fresh start with this one. It's been fun so far just making it right. This time I'm going for an actual name brand lift. Getting to old and too busy to bastardize parts. I want it done right, not just thrown together.
    The Little Red Wagon in the theme of Overland Adventure Vehicle. Grab an empty seat and ride along here : http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19655

Chats

That is a clean start for a build.. I'd say you can pick up a 3"-4.5" lift setup for a pretty fair price and know that your suspension is done right, and will last for quite a while being all new parts.. and will easily clear 31's with plenty of flex space for any wheeling or venturing out you plan on doing with her.. I don't blame you for wanting to take care of all the needed items and to feel that she is ready to go with the basics before you start throwing parts and money at other wanted items..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    That is a clean start for a build.. I'd say you can pick up a 3"-4.5" lift setup for a pretty fair price and know that your suspension is done right, and will last for quite a while being all new parts.. and will easily clear 31's with plenty of flex space for any wheeling or venturing out you plan on doing with her.. I don't blame you for wanting to take care of all the needed items and to feel that she is ready to go with the basics before you start throwing parts and money at other wanted items..
    The rear leaves are fairly well sagged out, so the lift will be with springs, not add a leaves, that increases expense, but it needs new springs anyway. All the front Suspension bushings are on good shape, so a Short arm (Standard) lift may suffice. If the kit includes adjustable LCA's. then those will go in. The track bar will be getting replaced with an adjustable unit.

Brake upgrades will happen as well. Considering GC rear disc conversion.

SS brake lines are a must.

The Basics are pretty well ironed out, thankfully. Tuneup, belt and idler pulley bearings will happen soon, just for peace of mind. It is OBDII, so it'll let me know if I don't catch something in time and SHTF.

Chats

The rear leaves are fairly well sagged out, so the lift will be with springs, not add a leaves, that increases expense, but it needs new springs anyway. All the front Suspension bushings are on good shape, so a Short arm (Standard) lift may suffice. If the kit includes adjustable LCA's. then those will go in. The track bar will be getting replaced with an adjustable unit.

Brake upgrades will happen as well. Considering GC rear disc conversion.

SS brake lines are a must.

The Basics are pretty well ironed out, thankfully. Tuneup, belt and idler pulley bearings will happen soon, just for peace of mind. It is OBDII, so it'll let me know if I don't catch something in time and SHTF.
    Yeah I would replace the rear with full leaf packs anyways if you were able to afford it at that time.. just to make sure you won't have the eventual sag if you'd didn't already have it.. My XJ's current rear has a negative arch going on.. so it def needs to be replaced, but that was part of my plan with my suspension revamp/upgrade anyways.. The PO tired to make due with the stock leafs and do a lift around it (to save money), and that has def gone downhill within only a few months of him doing the lift.. lol

What lift height are you looking at going for?? And what are you looking to spend on doing the rear disc upgrade?? I only ask cause I've been trying to source the parts for the GC upgrade and in the end I'm just going to be picking up an aftermarket upgrade solution as it'll be all new parts in the rear, and I won't have to worry about pulling it all apart again later to replace a caliper or anything like that.. and it'll be roughly the same price as I was pricing to get the GC parts and replacing the discs and calipers with new anyways..
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Yeah I would replace the rear with full leaf packs anyways if you were able to afford it at that time.. just to make sure you won't have the eventual sag if you'd didn't already have it.. My XJ's current rear has a negative arch going on.. so it def needs to be replaced, but that was part of my plan with my suspension revamp/upgrade anyways.. The PO tired to make due with the stock leafs and do a lift around it (to save money), and that has def gone downhill within only a few months of him doing the lift.. lol

What lift height are you looking at going for?? And what are you looking to spend on doing the rear disc upgrade?? I only ask cause I've been trying to source the parts for the GC upgrade and in the end I'm just going to be picking up an aftermarket upgrade solution as it'll be all new parts in the rear, and I won't have to worry about pulling it all apart again later to replace a caliper or anything like that.. and it'll be roughly the same price as I was pricing to get the GC parts and replacing the discs and calipers with new anyways..
    Lift will be between 3-4.5 inches. Large enough for 31 or 32" tires. I may spring for a Long Arm kit when I get to that point. Long Arm kits ride better with larger lifts. It will be getting a re-gear on Lockers (ARB's so I can add on-board air) with the larger tires. Not sure as to what ratio yet.

I'm still researching the GC brake upgrades. Not sure about that at all yet, just a thought. Discs are easier to service.

All of this is going be a slow progressive build as my budget is rather... Limited. Child Support eats a good chunk of my income.

Chats

Iron Rock Offroad disc conversion is the one I've been looking at picking up... It's not too bad of a deal for everything you get.. Especially with having the parking break cables that work, not having to build something yourself...

Chats

Did the zj disc swap to mine, and love it. Still haven't gotten the ebrake setup figured but still an excellent upgrade.

Chats

I like the red. It's staying red. I wanted a bone stock, unmolested rig. No sense in buying someone else's problem. It's like this one wants to be built. Everything so far has been an easy repair. :-)

... and so it should.

... besides, if its already red ... thats one less mod to have to do ..
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Carves View Post
    ... and so it should.

^^ truth

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Carves View Post
    ... and so it should.

True that!

Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Reminds me of my 95 "Ginger"

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast